How to setup GROWL & Prowl

Posted on
Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:35 pm
pieman1000 offline

How to setup GROWL & Prowl

I've run into some difficulty setting up Growl & Prowl with Indigo 4. I should say upfront, I'm a newbie at applescript.

I just installed the Indigo starter kit. As a test for Growl and Prowl, Im trying to send my iPhone a push notification when someone opens my patio door. Ive installed an insteon triggerlinc, works great. Step one, to make sure all was working, I setup an email notification. Door opens, email comes, its perfect. Next, I setup Growl, and my setup is buggy.

First, I located the script in the "/library/applications support/perceptive automation/indigo 4/scripts" folder. I ran the applescript in script editor. I reset Growl, and Indigo then showed up in Growl's application list. I configured each of my growl event notifications to trigger Prowl. Then in Indigo, I have the following actions set for the trigger "Patio Door Opened"

1) email notification
2) Execute Applescript > Embedded :
in the text window, I typed:
Growl("Home Security","Your patio door is open.")

I compiled, ran a test. A notification from Growl pops up, but where the indigo icon should appear, its showing mac's generic 'application' icon.

Is think an indicator Growl isnt recognizing the command is coming from Indigo? Because prowl doesnt pick it up, hence no push notification to the iPhone.

Running tests, Prowl is setup correctly, and other push notifications are sending to the iphone from the computer, so I think Ive missed a step, or I'm not entering the right command in the 'embedded' window. Because while Growl IS getting the command, Growl cant identify it as an Indigo command, so it cant assign the notification to PROWL.

What is the command I should be entering in the text area here? As a sidenote, I would love to include the date and time of the trigger in the growl notification.

Thanks guys. Im eager to learn how to do this right!

Posted on
Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: How to setup GROWL & Prowl

Make sure that you have Prowl set as the display style for "General Events" notification in Growl - that's the event sent when you use the Growl() handler. I just got it working and that was my problem.

The Indigo icon isn't showing up because the notification isn't coming from Indigo - it's coming from that script that you ran, so you won't in fact see the Indigo icon, but Growl is working correctly.

Use the following script to put the date into the growl statement:

Code: Select all
set dateChanged to last changed of device "Office Lamp" as string
set theMessage to "Your Patio door opened on " & dateChanged
Growl("Home Security", theMessage)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:07 am
kenjon offline

Are you thinking about Growl native support in Indigo? That should make it a lot easier...

Posted on
Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Not really - there are a lot more higher-priority features we need to work on. However, Indigo 5.0 will have a plugin API that would allow a 3rd party to add growl support and could make it more seamless.

BTW, to get the right icon, change this line:

icon of application "Indigo 2"

to this:
icon of application "Indigo 4"

And you'll get the Indigo icon.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:03 pm
pieman1000 offline

Thanks for the reply Jay!

(To update, the timestamp and icon updates worked, thank you!) Growl messages are appearing as I want them to. However...

Still no pushing to prowl. GENERAL EVENTS was already switched over to Prowl display notification. I did a reset of the system, and tried resetting all of the GROWL events and setting them again, but to no avail - I'm not getting a resulting push to Prowl. I get other pushes to prowl effectively from this computer (from Growl itself, also other connected Apps.) Ive run a test push from the PROWL tab in GROWL, which pushes effectively. I've also tried running the test on PROWLs webpage, also works fine. Somethings gotta be fishy with my configuration.

Posted on
Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:10 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Since you're seeing the notifications in Growl, it's got to be some problem between Growl and Prowl - I'd suggest contacting the Prowl guys and see if they have any answers.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:42 am
FaTMax offline

How did you reset Growl ? I cant get Indigo to show up in the Applications list.

Posted on
Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Did you follow the instructions at the top of the "growl attachment.scpt" that's in the Scripts/Attachments folder?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:04 am
FaTMax offline

:oops:

EDIT: Works great, WITH Prowl! ;)

Very handy, I have setup alot of measures now to prevent that pesky interface failure thing! Now everything works! Thanks Jay!

Posted on
Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:21 pm
pieman1000 offline

strangely, this stopped working for me. dont know if something changed in an update with growl or with an indigo update, or if i tweaked something by mistake but now i get this error when it tries to run growl notifications (see attachment)

advice would def. be appreciated!

Thanks!
Attachments
indigo.png
indigo.png (54.6 KiB) Viewed 10411 times

Posted on
Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:52 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It looks like you may be experiencing the corrupt AppleScript component issue. Put the script inside a tell block like this:

tell application "IndigoServer"
[YOUR CODE HERE]
end tell

and see if that compiles. Whenever you edit scripts you'll need to do the same thing. The AppleScript component has gotten into an unknown state and the only way we've see it corrected is to do a clean OS install - most people just settle for adding the tell directive.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 pm
AlaskaDave offline

Silly question, but where do I find this script. When I search for Growl or Prowl in the library I'm only finding a Garage Door Notification script at: http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/fil ... ords=growl, is this being modified?

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The growl script ships with Indigo (see the growl attachment.scpt in the Scripts folder for instructions on it's use) as pointed about in the first post in this thread. Prowl is an iOS app that allows Growl to send messages to it - it doesn't have anything to do with Indigo as it's configured completely outside Indigo.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:28 pm
FaTMax offline

Is there somewhere I can download the original script ? I have messed with mine, and although it finally works, it keeps sending me notifications whenever my motion sensor in the shower senses motion. Needless to say, thats about 130 pushes per shower. It also displays growlnotifications on top of Boxee/EyeTV which is also annoying!

Help...? :D

Posted on
Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:45 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Reinstall Indigo and you should get a fresh copy. If you've modified any of the other built-in scripts and you want to keep those modifications make sure to save a copy of them somewhere so you can replace them once the installer is done.

Jay (Indigo Support)