EZIO6I Unused Analog Inputs are always bouncing

Posted on
Fri May 23, 2008 3:45 pm
automaton offline

EZIO6I Unused Analog Inputs are always bouncing

I have an EZIO6I and am using the digital opto-isolated inputs to sense the status of some audio equipment. Perhaps I have a noisy environment, but the unused analog (non opto-isolated) inputs continuously change from 0 to 1 every second, triggering an Insteon message to Indigo. This, of course, is not usable.

This occurs regardless of the checkbox "Enable Analog Inputs" being checked/unchecked, or any values I've tried placing in the "Analog Trip Points" setting box. I've tried strapping the analog inputs to ground as well.

I also have an EZIO8SA, which exhibits the same general behavior, but is less sensitive, so the analog inputs only start bouncing if you are handling the unit or the wiring.

Any clues on how to stop this behavior? Is the "Enable Analog Inputs" checkbox supposed to turn off these inputs? Is there a "Analog Trip Point" setting that would stop the bouncing?

Posted on
Fri May 23, 2008 5:25 pm
bobeast offline

Re: EZIO6I Unused Analog Inputs are always bouncing

automaton wrote:
Any clues on how to stop this behavior? Is the "Enable Analog Inputs" checkbox supposed to turn off these inputs? Is there a "Analog Trip Point" setting that would stop the bouncing?

Have you tried pull-up resistors to +5v? 1k or so should work.

Choose to chance the rapids.
Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Mon May 26, 2008 9:28 am
automaton offline

(No subject)

Unfortunately, the only convenient voltage source on the EZIO is +12V. I haven't tried an external source to try the pull-up to +5V. I did try strapping to GND via a 1k resistor, which does not help.

Does anyone know what the settings in Indigo that seem to enable/disable the analog inputs do?

Posted on
Mon May 26, 2008 11:14 am
DPattee offline

(No subject)

I have the exact same problem. The suggestion was to try pulling them to ground, which I haven't gotten around to doing yet (it is up in my garage ceiling near my garage door opener which is a pain to work at).

If pulling to ground doesn't work, I'm just going to feed them all the same input signal, and then just ignore the extra responses.

Posted on
Mon May 26, 2008 2:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Perhaps this forum thread on the SimpleHomeNet.com site will better explain what is going on.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon May 26, 2008 6:19 pm
bobeast offline

(No subject)

automaton wrote:
Unfortunately, the only convenient voltage source on the EZIO is +12V. I haven't tried an external source to try the pull-up to +5V. I did try strapping to GND via a 1k resistor, which does not help.

Here is the pertinant excerpt from the manual.

"If needed, a “pull-up” resistor can be connected between the particular input (I5 or I6) and a +5VDC source. If using the provided
source, a regulator must be used to reduce the voltage to
+5VDC."

The trick is to use a voltage regulator to provide a local +5V with which to "pull up" the inputs. I'd recommend an LM7805 (radio shack 276-1770).

Most of the other IO modules provide a +5V terminal, so the voltage regulator is not needed for them. For this device you'd connect the voltage regulator input to the +12V terminal, and the output to the resistors. Connect the other end of the resistors to I5 and I6 respectively. Finally, connect the common pin of the VR to ground. TThis should get rid of the floating bounce.

Choose to chance the rapids.
Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Mon May 26, 2008 8:48 pm
automaton offline

(No subject)

Thanks for the thread reference, I'll give that a try.

Is there a way to poke the EZIO with some values that would make it ignore these inputs? It would make the wiring a lot easier.

Thanks for the advice.

Posted on
Mon May 26, 2008 8:55 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

automaton wrote:
Is there a way to poke the EZIO with some values that would make it ignore these inputs? It would make the wiring a lot easier.

You can try poking a value into it that will cause the EZIO to not broadcast ANY input or output changes at all. But that is as granular as it gets; all or nothing. In this silent mode you can still use the status request commands to poll out the states periodically if you want, and you still have complete control to set the outputs.

Running the EZIO in this silent mode with Indigo hasn't been tested much since there is no UI for it, but if the limitations are acceptable for you (no input state change broadcasting will occur), then I can show you the AppleScript line that should do it. Don't know it off the top of my head...

Okay, I just checked. :-) You would want to send the raw insteon command 79, 10. To get it back to the default (broadcast everything) you would send 79, 10. Let me know if you need the exact AppleScript syntax.

Regards,
Matt

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1