Using Insteon w/Roomie

Posted on
Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:11 pm
Hap offline

Using Insteon w/Roomie

I've spent most of the day trying to figure out how to get my Insteon system usable in Roomie (a nice little Remote Control app), Roomie does support opening web pages, but does not support (as far as I can tell) digest authentication. As my Indigo server is open to the internet, a strong password is a must. I did post an enhancement request on the Roomie forums though.

My next thought was to get an ISY-994i and use it (just on the internal network) w/o a password. However, if my understanding is correct, the ISY won't know the state of most of the devices unless it commands them itself? In other words, if Indigo changes some Insteon device states, the ISY would be unaware of the changes?

Other ideas welcome on how to get an Insteon control page up on the internal network. I'm not looking for extensive hacking/coding input - while I can do some of that - I just don't have time.

I know I can just switch to the Indigo Touch app, but I'm a big fan of integration.

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:00 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Using Insteon w/Roomie

Hap wrote:
I've spent most of the day trying to figure out how to get my Insteon system usable in Roomie (a nice little Remote Control app), Roomie does support opening web pages, but does not support (as far as I can tell) digest authentication. As my Indigo server is open to the internet, a strong password is a must. I did post an enhancement request on the Roomie forums though.

We are talking with the Roomie folks on getting better Indigo integration built-into Roomie, so hopefully that will materialize here at some point. I am a bit surprised that Roomie doesn't support digest authentication though.

Hap wrote:
My next thought was to get an ISY-994i and use it (just on the internal network) w/o a password. However, if my understanding is correct, the ISY won't know the state of most of the devices unless it commands them itself? In other words, if Indigo changes some Insteon device states, the ISY would be unaware of the changes?

That is probably the case unless the ISY can periodically poll the status of the devices to get them refreshed.

You can change Indigo to use basic authentication instead of digest authentication. I'm not sure if Roomie will work with that or not. The downside is the password is sent in the clear for HTTP basic authentication. If you are strictly using GoPrism reflector with HTTPS (not HTTP) then that should be relatively safe since all the traffic is encrypted.

Posted on
Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:05 pm
Hap offline

It just started working and I have no idea why.

I made no changes to Indigo (URL on Roomie is configured with Basic Authentication). Yesterday it wouldn't even pull up the page at all, not even a password box (although other web pages worked fine). Now the built-in mobile pages show as a pop-up in Roomie.

Since I've been migrating the Indigo database for a LONG time, could the Basic Authentication be inherited? I only started using a password starting w/version 5 and above. I'm not using Prism as it never seemed to work reliably whereas setting up the router to forward works very reliably.

Posted on
Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:21 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Basic authentication is enabled by the IndigoWebServer.conf file mentioned on this forum post. If you don't have that file then it is using the default, which is HTTP Digest authentication.

Page 1 of 1