Custom Indigo Controller

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:50 am
briblanch offline

Custom Indigo Controller

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it is possible to make a custom insteon device. I have created a party mode for my college dorm room and I am want a psychical button that someone can push when they want to activate it. Here is an idea of what I am thinking about doing. http://www.plasma2002.com/epb/#box I know this guy uses x10 but I am just curious if I could do something like this by modifying an insteon device.

Thanks for any advice

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:13 am
roussell offline

Re: Custom Indigo Controller

Just buy an Insteon TriggerLinc, metal box and the big red button - you might even be able to fit the TriggerLinc in a Staple's "Easy Button". The TriggerLinc has terminals to connect an external switch so no need to even modify it.

Terry

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:03 am
briblanch offline

Hey thanks for that,

Would I have to build something that would plug into the Triggerlinc? I am still kind of confused on how it would work with only a triggerlinc, a metal box, and a button. Could you clarify for me?

Thanks

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:06 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Just wire whatever button you choose to the TriggerLinc contacts which of course
you can trigger from in Indigo.

Carl

Posted on
Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:09 pm
tintivilus offline

This looks like just the ticket. Don't hook up the LED and you can go completely self-contained, or add a wall wart for the illumination.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9181

Posted on
Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:53 pm
nsheldon offline

briblanch wrote:
Would I have to build something that would plug into the Triggerlinc? I am still kind of confused on how it would work with only a triggerlinc, a metal box, and a button. Could you clarify for me?

Assuming that your button has 2 wires coming out of it, you can connect the button directly to the TriggerLinc. Inside the removable plastic case of the TriggerLinc, there are 2 bare wire "dry contact" ports. You'd push opposite ends of the stripped wires from your switch into the holes and tighten the screws to keep the wires from coming out. This dry contact port on the TriggerLinc can be used instead of the included magnet to trigger an ON or OFF INSTEON message. Press the button -> the circuit is closed -> TriggerLinc sends an ON message. Release the button -> circuit is open -> TriggerLinc sends an OFF message.

So, no, you wouldn't really have to build anything to plug into the TriggerLinc. Just connect the wires and put the TriggerLinc's plastic cover back on. If the button is big enough (and you can take it apart), you might be able to fit the TriggerLinc inside it, making it so you could put the button anywhere.

Alternatively, you might consider the RemoteLinc 2 wireless INSTEON switch (http://www.smarthome.com/2444A3WH/RemoteLinc-2-INSTEON-Wireless-Switch/p.aspx). It may end up costing the same as a big button, wires, and a TriggerLinc anyway.

Page 1 of 1