Sonos - The Beginning

Posted on
Sat May 26, 2012 4:35 pm
nlagaros offline

Re: Sonos - The Beginning

Two things I'm working on:

1. I need to augment all the actions so they respect grouping. This is more of a mechanical effort.
2. Terry and others (including me) want the ability to broadcast an announcement like an intercom in such a way that the state of each ZonePlayer is preserved and continues at the conclusion of the announcement. This is more challenging. I've not been able to find a way to resume playing a track at a particular position. Worst case, I'll have it start at the beginning of the track.

-Nick

Posted on
Sat May 26, 2012 6:00 pm
terrydew offline

Beginning of track would be fine with me.

Posted on
Sat May 26, 2012 7:32 pm
nlagaros offline

Terry - can you give me a little more detail on how you think this announcement function will work.

Specifically:
1. I have a function that will save the state of each zone that I think would be called before the announcement.
2. Is the announcement global - would it simply broadcast to every ZonePlayer, or did you have some idea that it would be a group based broadcast?
3. Do you envision an auto-grouping of all ZonePlayers - related to the comment #2, and then an auto-ungroup?

Let me know, as I think I can create logic to step through all this if it is universal. I think the action would:
  • save all zone states
  • group all zone players
  • set a volume (as part of the action)
  • switch to a particular line in

Is there a separate action to restore states? If so, does it ungroup all zone and universally restore states of each ZonePlayer?

Another option for the announcement is to have some other logic that creates a mp3 from speech - not sure if this is of interest nor am i sure how to create the thing. I have not thought that out.

I'm not quite sure of all the steps so welcome input.

Thanks.

Posted on
Sat May 26, 2012 9:00 pm
terrydew offline

1. I have a function that will save the state of each zone that I think would be called before the announcement.

Agree with this step

2. Is the announcement global - would it simply broadcast to every ZonePlayer, or did you have some idea that it would be a group based broadcast?

I was thinking of having a user selectable conif list of zones to be used in the broadcast. The selection would be made at the plugin menu level and would not change for each broadcast but could be changed for future ones.
If this is to complex then a broadcast to all zones would be a good fall back.

3. Do you envision an auto-grouping of all ZonePlayers - related to the comment #2, and then an auto-ungroup?

I agree with that subject to the possibly selected zones above.

Let me know, as I think I can create logic to step through all this if it is universal. I think the action would:
save all zone states
group all zone players
set a volume (as part of the action)
switch to a particular line in

Is there a separate action to restore states? If so, does it ungroup all zone and universally restore states of each ZonePlayer?

Ideally it would put all zone groupings, queues, and states back to what they were prior to broadcast.

Another option for the announcement is to have some other logic that creates a mp3 from speech - not sure if this is of interest nor am i sure how to create the thing. I have not thought that out.

I was planning to put a linin input from my Indigo computer and use the Indigo speak function. I guess the same thing could be done with prerecorded messages in mp3 format but you wouldn't have the computer generated voice.

Hope this helps. Whatever you come up with I am sure I will like.

Terry

Posted on
Sun May 27, 2012 11:39 am
nlagaros offline

Thanks Terry. I'm getting close to releasing something for you to test. I realized that I do not need to create a group since ZonePlayers to participate in the announcement will be chosen as part of the action. I have all the logic in except the switch back to what was playing prior to the announcement. I'm struggling a bit with anything other than the music queue - radio stations, and Pandora for me do not switch back properly. I think have have a maligned message somewhere. I'll figure it out.

Posted on
Sun May 27, 2012 11:59 am
nlagaros offline

Found the issue. I haven't tested the announcement function thoroughly so all feedback welcome. Wanted to get this out now.

v0.3.9 - 05/27/2012
  • Augmented actions to respect grouping
  • Created an action to speak an announcement from the Indigo Server through a connected Line-In on a ZonePlayer to up to 12 ZonePlayers. Upon completion of the announcement, each ZonePlayer state is returned to what it was. Minor issue in that the position of a track is not restorable, nor is something like Pandora.

Posted on
Sun May 27, 2012 9:55 pm
terrydew offline

Been out all day and just picked up the update. Looks good. Will test in the am.

Thanks

Posted on
Sun May 27, 2012 11:52 pm
mat offline

Have been away for the weekend but back now and will test during the week.

As an aside I am having issues with indigo and the speak command at present. I've let matt and jay know. my announcements using the text box in action groups are not working, but scripted say commands are, so I may not be the most stable of testers!

Jay believes it to be a conflict in lion,and I suspect it may be something there too, possibly as I am running iMessage beta.

Great progress and I congratulate our humble sonos leader at his continued development.

Regards

Mat

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Mon May 28, 2012 2:40 pm
terrydew offline

It works great!!!!!!

It works for me with Pandora.

It is better than I expected. :D

Thanks
Terry

Posted on
Mon May 28, 2012 3:02 pm
nlagaros offline

I'm glad it is working. What I mean by - "It is not working properly with Pandora" is that it will not resume precisely where it left off. It simply reloads Pandora to the ZonePlayer, so a different song from the playlist will start up. I assume other music services will work the same way. I've only got Pandora, so that is all I tried.

Think I will spend some time cleaning up the code, then open to suggestions. I personally would like to interface with Pandora from Indigo such that I can select a particular playlist.

Posted on
Wed May 30, 2012 7:47 am
mat offline

Ive got napster so can give it a try, if I can get home - left for work on Sunday evening and not made it home yet! Hopefully I'll get back for the weekend!

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu May 31, 2012 9:40 pm
nlagaros offline

Thanks mat. I'll probably spend a little time on Pandora this weekend. If I can figure out how to authenticate to them and pull a feed of radio stations, then at the least I can create an action to play a Pandora Station on a ZonePlayer. That would be cool. I don't know much about Napster, but if it works in a similar manner where there are playlists or stations and I can retrieve them, I will do the same.

Posted on
Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:39 am
nlagaros offline

I've got an update with some Pandora functionality.

v0.4.0 - 06/02/2012
  • Added action to play Pandora Station through Sonos ZonePlayer. Requires a public Pandora playlist and additional configuration in the plugin configuration dialog.

Posted on
Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:59 am
nlagaros offline

I'm ready to take requests for additions to the plugin. Please post any suggestions in this thread for now.

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:04 am
terrydew offline

Sorry but been out of town. Downloaded new version but getting error of failure to get pandora feed. The new config asks for pandora email and user id. I sign in to pandora with my email and not sure what my id is other than the email? There is no place for password? Don't you need password to sign in through the plugin. I don't use it much so it may be a lack of understanding on my part of Pandora.

Terry

Page 18 of 37 1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 37