Z-Order on control pages

Posted on
Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:03 pm
Dewster35 offline

Z-Order on control pages

If I'm understanding Z-order... if you put an element "behind" another element by having it drawn first, both visually and functionally the element is onto of the other element. Is there a way to visually put something ontop another element so it draws first, but put the functionality of the underneath element as on top of the first drawn element?

This basically allows me to create some really sophisticated variable driven images without have to create 30 different images. I can basically get away with what I need with 13 images.

Posted on
Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:05 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Z-Order on control pages

Z-Order is both for visibility and for click/touch focus.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:13 pm
berkinet offline

I am not sure if this would help... but, you can also use a clear image as the top image, and have your functionality attached to that. I have done that with an alarm system keypad in which I used a stock photo of the keypad and then overlaid clear images on each of the keys.

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:22 am
Dewster35 offline

That is getting closer... how do you get the feedback of the clear button press? Do you have it slightly tinted so as to show some sort of movement on the screen?

Posted on
Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:03 pm
berkinet offline

In my case, I was making an overlay for a key so I just left the outline of the key and erased the center. I guess you could do a light stroke around the outside of a clear graphic to get a visual key press effect.

BTW, I have requested an alternate "Key pressed" image feature for control pages. But, I suspect it is fairly low on the priority list. Though... now that 5.0.3 is out maybe some things will move up a bit in priority.

Posted on
Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:14 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Still have lots of bigger fish to fry... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 pm
ckeyes888 offline

......probably just a guppie but animated gifs would be an awesome addition as well.

Carl

Posted on
Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:05 pm
Dewster35 offline

Thanks... that makes a decent enough effect. Really getting these UI's to look snazzy is a lot of work, but hopefully once I build a good library, I'll be able to reuse pretty easily enough. Appreciate the help!

Page 1 of 1