Plugin for TED (The Energy Detective) 1000-Series

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:59 am
gregjsmith offline

Re: Plugin for TED (The Energy Detective) 1000-Series

I've tried the normal troubleshooting: rebooting, reinstalling, etc. with no improvements. I've given up on this plugin and reverted back to the Applescript with Serial Bridge which is working fine.

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:17 pm
travisc offline

I just bought the TED 5000. Has anyone started on a plugin for this one? Or maybe we can make one plugin that works with both models. The XML API the 5000 model offers is pretty neat. I can do the work for the 5000 model if no one else has started.

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:23 pm
nlagaros offline

I created a simple plugin for the TED5000. It has been out there for a couple of months. Doesn't do much but report just about all values that come from the XML output.

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:27 pm
travisc offline

Great! I think that's all it would really need to do anyways. The TED does most of the calcs that need to be done, we just need to bring them into Indigo.

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:46 am
d1staples offline

Hi nlagaros

I just purchased a TED5000 as well, where can I find the plugin you created? I looked on this website and it did not come up when I searched for it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a plugin, I'm looking forward to using it. I'm assuming that I could set a threshhold, and when my usage exceeds that, it will send an email. How cool would that be. :)

Thanks,
Dan

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:15 pm
jamus offline

gregjsmith wrote:
I've tried the normal troubleshooting: rebooting, reinstalling, etc. with no improvements. I've given up on this plugin and reverted back to the Applescript with Serial Bridge which is working fine.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Unfortunately, my TED hasn't been getting updates from the MTU, so I have no idea if my plugin is working or not. :(

Posted on
Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:07 am
nlagaros offline

d1staples - sorry for the delay.

If you have not located the link to download the plugin, here it is: https://vulture.lagaros.com/wiki/pages/76n6u45/Ted_5000_Plugin.html

And yes, you should be able to use triggers and actions in Indigo to do just about anything - gotta love Indigo!

Posted on
Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:50 pm
d1staples offline

HI thanks for the response. I did find your plugin, and downloaded it. It is out there, and now so is my TED5000, but it is not pulling any data. Are there any tricks to making it work? Like some others on this forum, when I enter http://TED5000 in a web address bar it doesn't come up, I have to enter the IP address.

I would appreciate any help. When this works, how often does Indigo go out and get data?

thanks,

Dan

Posted on
Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:12 pm
nlagaros offline

The polling interval is set on the plugin configuration dialog box. I think the default is every 15 seconds.

The device settings dialog will allow you to either enter the hostname or IP address of the TED controller. In your case, it looks like you will have to enter the IP address.

Posted on
Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:08 pm
d1staples offline

I got it working and it works like a champ! thanks again for writing this. Love it! If I have to reboot the TED5000 for a change, sometimes it grabs a new IP address, then I have to change within the device settings, but not a problem. There sure are a LOT of fields to choose from as well. Nice job.

thanks again,

Dan :D

Posted on
Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:28 pm
nlagaros offline

Thanks and glad you got it working. Let me know if there are any enhancehments you think would be useful.

Posted on
Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:28 pm
CharlieParker offline

My mac died and I got a new with OX X 10.7, so no Serial Bridge. Has anyone got a non-Rosetta solution for polling a TED 1000 series. The latest Serial Port X still seems to have a memory leak. I briefly tried jamus's plugin but didn't get it working, even after fiddling with the source. Before spending too much time I thought I'd check here.

In any case thanks jamus for you help and sorry to hear about your ted.

Posted on
Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:40 am
gregjsmith offline

I had to revisit this plugin when I switched to a newer Mac that did not support serial bridge. The TED1000 plugin works for a while before I need to reset the plugin.

I created scheduled trigger that runs ever 15 minutes that does just that. So far its been working without any problems.

Code: Select all
plugin = indigo.server.getPlugin("com.jamus.ted")
if plugin.isEnabled():
   plugin.restart()