Indigo Touch not work on local network without WAN?

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:51 am
syncope offline

Indigo Touch not work on local network without WAN?

I don't have (and won't be able to get) WAN network access from my home. But I've setup a local wi-fi (LAN) network and control all my indigo devices from various computers in my house. I'd like to use indigo touch but have run into some really unexpected behavior as it appears to require access to the outside world to control my devices in my home.

Some details:
1) Indigo touch -never- has problems seeing my indigo server on my local LAN (using Bonjour I'm assuming).
2) indigo touch will work over my LAN on my iphone .. IFF my iphone is able to connect via 3G or Edge to the outside world.
2) indigo touch on my ipad won't work at all (since it doesn't have 3G access to the outside network). It just identifies the indigo server and then hangs stating "waiting for network Wi-Fi/3G/Edge".

I ran some experiments at a friend's house using my ipad and, if their LAN is connected to the WAN, then indigo touch works fine. If, however, their LAN is disconnected from the WAN then indigo touch hangs saying "waiting for network Wi-Fi/3G/Edge" - even though it continues to see the indigo server over the LAN.

I guess I don't see any reason that Indigo touch requires access to the WAN inorder to run my lights. In fact, I'm a little curious as to what Indigo touch is so intent on doing on the WAN.

Is there any way to fool indigo touch into working on my network? And if not, I guess the follow on question is, why does it need WAN access when it correctly identifies and is told that it needs to connect to my local indigo server?

Thank you.

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:18 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Touch not work on local network without WAN?

Indigo Touch doesn't require internet access to work, just a local network connection (assuming the server is on the same network). I just tried the same experiment here - I unplugged the network cable from my cable modem to my router so my local network didn't have internet access. On both my iPhone and my iPad (which doesn't have 3G), which were on my local network, Indigo Touch continued to work fine. I even force-quitted it and started it back up. Indigo Touch found the server via Bonjour and worked without a hitch.

What version of iOS are you using on your devices? Do you have Indigo Touch 1.7 (the latest version)?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:34 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Is your WiFi network ad-hoc?

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:12 pm
syncope offline

hmm.. well - it's encouraging that it's not supposed to be doing this.

So I'm running the indigo touch v 1.7.0.

My local network is being served up from an airport express. I've also run the experiment using an ad hoc network and received the same results. I wonder if it's related to how the addresses are being served up by my airport express/extreme?

Now that I know it's not supposed to be doing this, I'll start trying to figure out what the secret handshake is and what I'm doing differently.

Thanks.

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:55 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If the problem is Ad-Hoc WiFi related (that is, it only happens when connecting to Ad-Hoc WiFi networks), then we might have a fix for a future version of Indigo Touch. That said, it will be quite a while before we release the next version of Indigo Touch. It is on the schedule, by far out at this point.

Posted on
Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:58 am
wideglidejrp offline

I am using get Indigo Touch 1.7 with iOS 8.1.1. The app consistently hangs if the last attempt to connect to a server was unsuccessful. There seems to be no way to interrupt or cancel the attempt and change the server address or select a different server.

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:42 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

See this forum thread for the iOS 8 / Indigo Touch incompatibility problems along with workarounds.

Posted on
Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:02 pm
oktemplar offline

Syncope, some of us have been using Roomie remote app due to these issues. It can be a bit annoying but I've managed to run action groups and re-created much of what I did in Indigo Touch previously.

Posted on
Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:15 pm
wideglidejrp offline

The workarounds don't work for me. My case is simple:

1. My app was hung
2. I went to a restaurant, deleted the app, and reinstalled it
3. I added my house with WAN address. Worked fine.
4. I went home to add the LAN address, but the app was trying to connect to the WAN address and hung again

It is actually a bit more complicated because I have three homes. I have been adding WAN and LAN addresses, deleting and reinstalling the app, and doing all this many times. Is there no other workaround?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If the app is hung then first try to force quit the app (double-tap home button and flick app upwards). That will restart the app but keep your settings so that Indigo can connect via the reflector.

That is preferred to connecting via a WAN connection because your WAN connection is probably failing when at home because your router doesn't support loopback.

The permanent fix for this problem (lockup) will be in the next release of Indigo Touch, which we are actively working on.

Posted on
Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:29 pm
wideglidejrp offline

It continues to hang, but when I restart the app and very quickly add the LAN address before it hangs trying to reach the prior WAN address, I am ok. But now, when I go out of the house, it will be trying to connect to the LAN address, right? Then hang again. The only solution I can think of is to switch to the Demo server before leaving home or and then again before arriving home. Make sense?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:35 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If you have reflectors then it will work. The LAN connection automatically switches over to the stored reflector address when remote.

Posted on
Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:52 pm
wideglidejrp offline

I am not familiar with reflectors. Can you point me to what you are talking about? Thanks.

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:54 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Posted on
Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:16 am
johnpolasek offline

Is there any way I can find out what the subscription service costs after the 30 day trial period without actually trying to buy it? Admittedly, I only spent a few minutes scanning through all the information on the page about how to use it, but that rather important item seemed to be conspicuous by it's absence...