Siri

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:03 pm
Aeolius offline

Siri

Now that iOS has absorbed Siri , I wonder how difficult it will be, to integrate the functionality into Indigo/Indigo Touch.

Imagine telling your iPhone "Open the front door", or "Adjust the temperature to 72 degrees", or "turn on the outdoor lights".

I know Mac OS X has voice recognition, but Siri seems like a colossal step forward.

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:19 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Siri

Our fingers are crossed that at some point they provide a 3rd party API for integrating with it.

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:40 pm
Aeolius offline

Perhaps by that point, we'll have a version of Indigo that will support the (as yet to be released) Optimus Mini 6. What an interface for a wheelchair THAT would make!

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:52 pm
neilt offline

Anyone that can, please file a bug report (feature request) for a Siri integration API. Apple has given no indication that an API is in the works. I don't think bug reports require a developer account, but I'm not sure. The login page only states that an Apple ID is required. The URL is https://bugreport.apple.com

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Honestly, I don't think that will be necessary. It's very common for Apple to introduce features that they implement internally first before creating a developer-facing API. I suspect it's in the works already - it's just too obvious for it not to be.

And I've never been a fan of "flood bugreporter with feature requests" - good bug reports get lost in the flood of redundant feature requests... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:10 pm
neilt offline

jay wrote:
Honestly, I don't think that will be necessary. It's very common for Apple to introduce features that they implement internally first before creating a developer-facing API. I suspect it's in the works already - it's just too obvious for it not to be.

And I've never been a fan of "flood bugreporter with feature requests" - good bug reports get lost in the flood of redundant feature requests... ;)

I hope you are right that it is in works and just too obvious. Having been been a developer since OS 9 days I know Apple classifies bug reports to the nth degree and I am sure based on private conversations that popularity has an impact and no bug report gets lost. Apple provides very few avenues for feedback and bug reporter is an official channel. In addition, an Apple employee in the Dev forums specifically recommended filing a feature request bug report if you want a Siri API. But thats just my opinion based on Apple's direction earlier today.

I have an iPhone app that would benefit greatly from this API so in addition to filing the feature request I filed specific information about what I would be looking for in an API. I would still recommend that you do the same as I would (as the post above notes) love to see this integration with Indigo. So to me it just seems silly not to raise your hand and say, "yes we are interested in this also and here are some key points."

Having said that I respect your opinion and thank you for one of the great products that we use daily.

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:08 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Interesting - my years of experience working directly with Apple Product Management and Engineering in Cupertino are a bit different - but perhaps they're using bugreport (née radar) for more than they used to. It has been some years since I interacted directly with them. I've still got a few open bugs filed over the last few years - hopefully they'll pay more attention to feature requests if it's truly a way to get into product mgmt... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:29 pm
ck offline

Someone's done it! Check this out! But, there must be an easier way?

http://blog.cdeutsch.com/2011/10/using- ... ation.html

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yep - that's been pointed out several times. It's insecure though so I wouldn't recommend it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:07 am
ck offline

Jay, do you know of an easier way? I was able to get it (like the youtube video, creating a contact with an email trigger) working (sort of) using email received triggers, but the lowest email scan setting is 1 minute. This is not ideal, since it's pop which is also slow. Any ideas?

Posted on
Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:00 am
tenallero offline

jay wrote:
Yep - that's been pointed out several times. It's insecure though so I wouldn't recommend it.

Hi Jay,

About insecurity: The screenshot that captures the javascript code (server.js) shows that exists one line of code that checks that the message comes from a particular movile (iPhone) or a Twilio user's account.

... && req.body.From === '+1612xxxxx') { ...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wZEpsJfsVpE/T ... .43+PM.png

I think that this blog's entry shows a "bizarre" solution.
But demostrates the big possibilities of using today's web technologies like restful, curl, clouding, "internet of things", etc ...

Posted on
Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

tenallero wrote:
About insecurity: The screenshot that captures the javascript code (server.js) shows that exists one line of code that checks that the message comes from a particular movile (iPhone) or a Twilio user's account.

Not sure about the the Twilio user account part, but certainly you could spoof the "from" phone number with little effort. I don't see how you could require username/password security throughout the entire process. Sure, it's perhaps a small chance, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you somehow limited what the incoming SMS could tell Indigo to do - for instance, if you just limited it to controlling lights, etc., then the impact of someone trying to break in might be minimal. However, you would want to ensure that, for instance, they couldn't disable any security features you have integrated with Indigo.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:41 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

ck wrote:
Jay, do you know of an easier way? I was able to get it (like the youtube video, creating a contact with an email trigger) working (sort of) using email received triggers, but the lowest email scan setting is 1 minute. This is not ideal, since it's pop which is also slow. Any ideas?

There is no secure way - at least until Apple provides a Siri API that we can use in Indigo Touch. Email is in many respects (depending on what you allow incoming emails to trigger) even more insecure than SMS since spoofing emails is extremely simple.

We don't recommend either approach unless you are extremely careful about functionality exposed using either method. The same goes for the iCal Alarm Processor plugin - you can enable it to do some pretty cool things for you, but you'll want to think long and hard about what features you enable and make sure that you understand the consequences of the features you use.

Just a word of caution particularly to those that are relatively new to Indigo and Home Automation.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:42 pm
ChrisB offline

I just uploaded an update to the Google Voice SMS plugin that will allow you to accomplish some of the things you guys are looking to do. It works with and without SIRI and addresses some of the security concerns outlined by Jay. Of course, nothing provides 100% security.

It's fun to play with but ultimately, a true SIRI API would work best. For those of you who want to take it to the next level, you can always buy an IRIS 9000 in 2012.

Chris

Posted on
Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:32 am
tenallero offline

Hi Jay,

Yes. I am with you about strong security (username and password).

As a curiosity, and considering the workload due to Indigo5, meanwhile Siri stay in beta release and not some kind of api is published .... maybe you/we can be interested about how "Wolfram Alpha" is integrated with SIRI.

It seems like all the voice commands for SIRI must begin with the word "WOLFRAM"
I don't know if SIRI interactuate directly with Wolfram's web service or with Wolfram's installed IOS app. If the last one ... then imagine SIRI to "Indigo Touch app" and voila! "username & password" solved.

I am sorry not to be able to investigate more by myself (not IPhone4S and not spanish's SIRI).

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/28/10-cool- ... -and-siri/
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/ap ... _alpha.php (July/2010)

http://www.wolframalpha.com/
http://www.wolframalpha.com/tour/what-i ... alpha.html
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wolframa ... 89259?mt=8

http://www.amazon.com/Talking-Siri-Inte ... B005ZUVDU6