Automogator - Perl client for Indigo (and more)

Posted on
Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Automogator - Perl client for Indigo (and more)

seanadams wrote:
Personally, I rather miss the days before there was a library for everything, and you really had to get down in the details to accomplish anything. That was something I enjoyed. It's getting too easy for my taste.

Given the amount of functionality that we add to Indigo at any given time, I'm very happy there is such a wide collection of stuff available - the twisted framework you pointed out is the perfect example. We can spend our time making the Indigo specific parts really good and ship faster... :D

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:54 pm
jashaffner offline

Sean, Jay

Thanks for some ideas of how 5.0 plugin works. Much appreciated!

bschollnick2

AT&T, Maryland

I am curious about inline relay. I just now googled, came across some relays but I was not sure which one you refer to.

Posted on
Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm
berkinet offline

Apropos doorbell detection, there is a nice little Phidget, the 1135 - Precision Voltage Sensor. This will detect A/C voltage up to 30v. Just place it across the doorbell and go (well, you do need a Phidget controller).
Last edited by berkinet on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted on
Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:23 pm
seanadams offline

Door bell detection is easy. Just wire the relay coil in parallel with the existing chime. Here is a suitable one: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... =PB1142-ND

You probably also want to get the matching socket so you can screw that to the wall and make the wiring connections more easily. Download the digikey catalog section to see what's available for it.

Screen shot 2010-09-21 at 1.15.51 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-09-21 at 1.15.51 PM.png (17.05 KiB) Viewed 7579 times

Posted on
Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:34 pm
seanadams offline

Actually if you have access to the transformer and button wiring, there is an even better way to do this that leverages the IOLINC's built-in relay. It has a feature where you can configure the output to copy the input, so you can just do this:
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-09-21 at 1.33.13 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-09-21 at 1.33.13 PM.png (16.63 KiB) Viewed 7577 times

Posted on
Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:19 pm
berkinet offline

I wrote:
Apropos doorbell detection, there is a nice little Phidget, the 1135 - Precision Voltage Sensor. This will detect A/C voltage up to 30v. Just place it across the doorbell and go (well, you do need a Phidget controller).

I have some exciting news I can now share. The Phidgets people are working on greatly improved OS X (10.6) support. The basic Phidgets libraries on OS X already support change Events (interrupts) from sensors. However, the existing AppleScripting extension does not. The Phidgets people are developing a new AppleScript interface (now in very limited beta) that allows the execution of arbitrary AppleScript handlers specific to a change event.

In the case of the doorbell detector, it is possible to have the doorbell press be detected by the voltage sensor and then have an AppleScript handler interact with Indigo to do something (or send a RESTful api call).

There is no release date set for this new software.

BTW, I believe the existing Python libraries already support this functionality. See Python on this page. With the upcoming plugin API, Phidgets could become full fledged Indigo devices!
Last edited by berkinet on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:26 pm
bschollnick2 offline

jashaffner wrote:
Sean, Jay

Thanks for some ideas of how 5.0 plugin works. Much appreciated!

bschollnick2

AT&T, Maryland

I am curious about inline relay. I just now googled, came across some relays but I was not sure which one you refer to.

If you send an email to:

domestic-number@txt.att.net (SMS)

where domestic-number is your areacode + phone number, it will appear as a text message on your phone. For example: 5855551212@txt.att.net will send the email body to the cell phone. Please note your limited to 140 characters, or it will span multiple SMSes.

So you can make a trigger action that detects when the sensor is disturbed and use type: Send Email, to send an SMS message...

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:08 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

berkinet wrote:
BTW, I believe the existing Python libraries already support this functionality. See Python on this page. With the upcoming plugin API, Phidgets could become full fledged Indigo devices!

And we're counting on you to write the plugin for them... :D

How's the python coming? :twisted:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:37 pm
jashaffner offline

Thanks guys for the ideas for the doorbell! On top of that, I am going to see if there is a sensor that can pick up sound like teapot whistling or baby crying. Fun (and rewarding) projects with WAF. ;D

Posted on
Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:14 pm
berkinet offline

For sound, take a look at this Phidget. http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?ca ... ct_id=1133

Posted on
Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:21 pm
jashaffner offline

is that the controller you mentioned of?

http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1070

Posted on
Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:36 pm
berkinet offline

The 1070 is a single board computer (abc) + interface kit. It will work with the sound sensor. Your Mac would communicate with the 1070 over the network. There are also less expensive USB connected options available like the 1018. See this page http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?category=0

You would want a controller that takes analog sensors: 1018, 1019, or 1070. The 1203 with built-in 20x2 character display would also work.

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:43 pm
majortom offline

SeanAdams: Is the Python/Twisted version of Automogator (or whatever you will call it) available yet? I am much more comfortable in Python and I want to use it to control a Yamaha RX-z7 (until I get my new Denon gear) and a serial controllable monoprice HDMI switch.
Last edited by majortom on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:03 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Can you clarify what you're asking for?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:25 pm
majortom offline

jay wrote:
Can you clarify what you're asking for?

Jay -
I edited my post to clarify, but on SeanAdam's page for Automogator, he says he has abandoned the perl version for a Python/Twisted one. I am interested that. Very much looking forward to Indigo 5.0 as I have never really learned AS, but am moderately comfortable in Python. (Such is the problem with replying to a multi-page thread without getting to the end). :-)