Virtual Devices

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:33 am
nexx offline

Virtual Devices

Hi, I would like to be able to create an "general virtual" device, that I can define scripts to "turn on", "turn off" and "send status request".

I would like to add for example, Pioneer Receiver, to turn on/turn off/status request, I define each applescript.

Then I want to be able to call the actions from a keypad. For example: "turn on Pioneer Receiver". Insteon receives the button press and executes the "Turn on PIoneer Receiver script".

Does anybody know a plugin or a way of doing that?

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:46 am
berkinet offline

Re: Virtual Devices

Take a look at the Meta Device plugin on the third party plugin forum.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8009

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:16 am
nexx offline

Oh, thanks man.

I've downloaded it. Put the "MetaDevice.indigoPlugin/" directory into "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/Plugins (Disabled)/" and restarted indigo. Also, I've tried clicking on "Plugins > Reload Libraries and Attachments" but the plugin didn't show up on the "Plugins" menu. Am I missing something?

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:18 am
berkinet offline

nexx wrote:
Oh, thanks man.

I've downloaded it. Put the "MetaDevice.indigoPlugin/" directory into "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/Plugins (Disabled)/" and restarted indigo. Also, I've tried clicking on "Plugins > Reload Libraries and Attachments" but the plugin didn't show up on the "Plugins" menu. Am I missing something?

Try just double clicking on the plugin icon, it should automatically install itself.

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:20 am
nexx offline

Thanks!

Now I'll try it! (the plugin itself)

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:37 am
nexx offline

Wow! I've liked it!

However having to create "Action groups" for each meta device will be a pain...

Since I wish to add a lot of meta devices, I'm afraid I'll need to extend it to include a new option when configuring a Meta device. It might be In the window which asks what to do in response to an On/Off event. Instead of selecting "Execute an Action Group", I could select directly a new option like "Run script". This way I can just point to the ON and OFF script right away. What you think?

Problem is, I have no python skills!! :(

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:58 pm
berkinet offline

nexx wrote:
...having to create "Action groups" for each meta device will be a pain...

Since I wish to add a lot of meta devices, I'm afraid I'll need to extend it to include a new option when configuring a Meta device. It might be In the window which asks what to do in response to an On/Off event. Instead of selecting "Execute an Action Group", I could select directly a new option like "Run script". This way I can just point to the ON and OFF script right away. What you think?

To be honest, it sounds like you need a Pioneer receiver specific plugin. The Meta-Device plugin was designed to provide a visible face for certain limited actions that were previously confined to Control Pages. But, as a Meta-Device they could be instantiated as real Indigo devices and made visible in the iTouch client.

I am not familiar with Pioneer device control. But, if your unit supports networked (telnet like) connectivity you may be able to use the Cynical Network plugin.

If you can post a bit more about your needs and the data you have on your receiver's communications capability I, or someone else here, may have some additional ideas.

Posted on
Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:13 pm
nsheldon offline

berkinet wrote:
To be honest, it sounds like you need a Pioneer receiver specific plugin.

Just FYI. I'm currently working on a Pioneer Receiver plugin. Though it'll be designed for the VSX-1021-K, it should work for most networked Pioneer receivers as they all have the same command set. It won't, however, work with serial-connected receivers, so nexx, if your receiver uses a serial connection and has no network port, sorry, the plugin won't work on your setup.

Page 1 of 1