Extending Device Meta Data

Posted on
Sun May 02, 2010 6:39 pm
tonyparone offline

Extending Device Meta Data

Hi, wasnt able to find an article that quite answered my question about extending the Indigo database to hold additional attribute about the Insteon devices.

Can the indigo database be extended or is there a way to create a foreign key rleationship in another DB where fields can be created by the user?

many thanks
tony

Posted on
Sun May 02, 2010 7:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Extending Device Meta Data

Currently, the only way to add metadata to a device is via the Description field. I have several scripts that use the description to store name/value pairs separated by a delimiter. Not ideal, but it works. We're looking into supporting arbitrary metadata for all object types in future versions of Indigo.

There isn't a unique immutable key for objects either (we currently use the name, which must be unique but obviously can be changed) - again, that's something we're looking into for future versions. For several reasons, it's pretty high on the list of things to do for 5.0.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun May 02, 2010 8:08 pm
gregjsmith offline

jay wrote:
Currently, the only way to add metadata to a device is via the Description field. I have several scripts that use the description to store name/value pairs separated by a delimiter. Not ideal, but it works. We're looking into supporting arbitrary metadata for all object types in future versions of Indigo.

That's how I do it too. I have a human readable description that is consistent in each device so that can also be parsed by applescript. I had initially requested the metadata feature years ago but using the description field has worked out really well.

Posted on
Sat May 15, 2010 6:32 pm
tonyparone offline

Thanks, looking forward to Ver 5!

I was playing around with an applescript to import the indigo DB and auto create the Variables for me, my friend has about 60 devices and the thought o manually creating them is painful. Been messing around with T.E.D. and the extra fields will be useful to track and calculate power consumption at the device level.

Page 1 of 1