Not a bug, but it just ruined a half hour of work

Posted on
Sun May 08, 2016 11:24 pm
srkinard offline

Not a bug, but it just ruined a half hour of work

My roommate just listed to a 5 minute long string of profanity....very bad profanity.

Guys....PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE...add 2 simple things to the Control Pages editor...

1. Please put in a CONFIRM CANCEL? popup. If you hit ESC while in the editor it will cancel the edits and you lose everything. This just totally burned me. There's no confirmation when it exits, the window just disappears. Please put one error check on the Cancel to be sure you intend to discard...at least if you cancel via ESC. I went to adjust the brightness on my MBP screen and tapped ESC on accident and lost my work.

2. Put a SAVE button alongside Save and Close. So we can save progress without closing the editing window. Maybe put a * in the title bar of the window when you have it in an edited/unsaved state like other programs do.

I'm so frustrated and angry...not at you guys, but at myself for not saving and reopening it periodically. Lost a lot of button configurations attaching actions and all.

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 12:16 am
akimball offline

Re: Not a bug, but it just ruined a half hour of work

I 2nd or 3rd the 'confirm close' notice on accidental touch of the escape key. I've lost a good deal of work on a couple of occasions.

-Al

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 7:04 am
Different Computers offline

I notice this in other places too. Like a loose tooth, I get this tiny little hesitation as I'm closing any Indigo window (device, action group, settings) because the auto save with no interaction goes counter to my experience of Mac OS UI behavior.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 8:11 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I vote for this as well, more than once an accidental escape cause a purposeful explosion of expletives.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon May 09, 2016 9:18 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Noted. The usability in that area, and in general with no undo's, needs some attention. Thanks for the feedback.

Posted on
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:06 am
turtle offline

The last response was in 2016, almost * 8 * years ago. As an avid VI user (because I've worked on many *NIX projects and it is the only common editor), hitting escape is basically muscle-memory and I have lost a LOT of work that way. This should be an easy fix.

Posted on
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:33 am
MarcoGT offline

On VI the ESC button saved my day lots of time…

Posted on
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:05 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We'll look into it.

I should note that having the escape key cancel a dialog is the default behavior of Cocoa, so this is completely expected behavior. And while I understand it's painful for a few, apparently it's not for the majority of users given that the last conversation about it was 8 years ago.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:40 am
srkinard offline

My issues ended up being my pinky lightly touching the ESC on the Touch Bar. Once I got back to a machine with mechanical key it ceased to be a problem.

Page 1 of 1