Indigo Touch places a heuristic image at different position

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:42 am
McJohn offline

Indigo Touch places a heuristic image at different position

We have a lot of heuristic images. But the position of these images is totally different in Safari than Indigo Touch at the iPad.
Specially with large full screen images. With Safari the display/position of these images is at the center of the control page.
But with Indigo Touch at the iPad and the same Control Page, the position of this heuristic image is always left up.

See screen dumps below. It’s exact the same heuristic image and Control Page.

How can we solve this long-standing problem?
(We use both Safari and Indigo touch)

Thanks for the support.
Attachments
Safari.png
Control Page with Safari
Safari.png (12.93 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Indigo Touch.png
Control Page with Indigo Touch
Indigo Touch.png (26.38 KiB) Viewed 672 times

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Touch places a heuristic image at different posit

The heuristic images have to all be the same dimensions (for any given control on a Control Page). If the image size changes, then it needs to be changed on all images that might show for that control using it. You might also need to quit the Indigo client (not sure this is required or not), then open the Control Page editor and select a different base image for that control (the base image also needs the same dimensions as all the variants). then reselect the correct base image. The point of this is to make sure Indigo Server clears its internal cache for the image dimensions it is using. You might also need to clear your browser cache and force restart Indigo Touch.

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:13 pm
McJohn offline

Thank you so much for the fast answer, that is appreciated.
And thanks for the explanation. I understand the logic behind it.

The original base+ image is indeed 13 x 11 pixels with the color of the background because this little picture is normally not allowed to appear at the control page.

- But why does it now work great with Safari and not with Indigo Touch?

- And any hints how to make a large base + image (1053 x 790) invisible at a Control Page?

Thanks for the friendly support and patience.

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:19 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo Touch doesn't use an HTML rendering engine at all, unlike Safari, so there are differences in how some edge cases like this are handled.

You can create an image that is any size that is 100% transparent alpha so none of the color values show at all. Most image editor will let you adjust the alpha of a layer, and you can just set it to be completely transparent then export that as a 32 bit RGBA PNG file that includes the transparency.

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:03 pm
McJohn offline

Thanks for the hint.

You can create an image that is any size that is 100% transparent

That's easy to do with Graphic Converter but that large invisible base+ image has to be the last one in Z-order (nr. 418 at that Control Page).
After that, it's impossible to select or edit one of the other 417 items anymore. (Or control for example a lamp)
(and once exact in position it is quite a hassle to keep moving this image to edit the other items).

And we have a lot of other large images that should be shown at the front of the page such as Indigo Plot images (Little picture+ Plot).
This works well with Safari with a small base+ image, but we would like to do this with Indigo Touch.
And 6 different image+ (1053 x 790) images in a row will be a disaster to mainten I think.

We are open to other good ideas.
Last edited by McJohn on Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:01 pm
ryanbuckner offline

I have this issue too, so listening in.

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:59 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

There is no way to get around the cumbersome editing of the controls/images in this scenario that I'm aware of, other than temporarily moving or selecting a different (smaller) base image.

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:52 am
McJohn offline

That's a pity. :(

Then we are unfortunately forced to continue using Safari (with also limitations), because our control pages are used on both Macs and iPads.

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:53 pm
DaveL17 offline

McJohn wrote:
and once exact in position it is quite a hassle to keep moving this image to edit the other items

John - one thing that can make this process easier is to select the item, hold the shift key and use the arrow keys to move the object out of the way (I typically do 5 arrow key presses). Then, when you're done making changes, select the item, hold shift, and do the same number of "opposite" key presses. That will ensure the image is back to its original spot.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:17 pm
McJohn offline

Thanks for the Shift-hint Dave. Didn't know that and indeed that's a lot faster! :D

We love to use Indigo Touch at the iPad but as said with large heuristic images unfortunately it can't be used.

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:26 pm
durosity offline

Just in case it’s relevant, you can use indigo touch on an AS based Mac, so maybe your pages would render better on that than safari?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:49 pm
DaveL17 offline

No problem John!

McJohn wrote:
We love to use Indigo Touch at the iPad but as said with large heuristic images unfortunately it can't be used.

Can you say more about why Indigo Touch won't work on the iPad for this content?

Posted on
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:20 am
McJohn offline

Thanks for both feedbacks.

We are using large heuristic images (1053 x 790) for Plots, Welcome text, etc.
For example, the plots are also used as a screen saver on the iPad at the wall, every 5 minutes, this prevents screen burn.
We use the same control pages with Safari on the Mac. At the Mac they work good and fast (except 5 live thumbnail feeds).

The original base+ image is 13 x 11 pixels with the color of the background because this little picture is normally not allowed to appear at the control page.
When the Variable changes to for example base+ "Plot", a beautiful nice plot appears full screen automatically at the screen of the iPad.
This works good with Safari at the iPad and the Mac. But Safari at the iPad gives problems with the nav bar, it's slow and Indigo Touch is made for Indigo and gives faster feedback and feedback sound.

But the problem with Indigo Touch is:

The heuristic images have to all be the same dimensions

(otherwise the heuristic image moves left up)
and
Indigo Touch doesn't use an HTML rendering engine at all,

and
You can create an image that is any size that is 100% transparent alpha

But if we create a 100% transparant heuristic base+ image (1053 x 790), and that image has to be the last one in row (nr. 418), because otherwise it will not be shown last, then this image is superimposed on all other 417 items and the control page has become completely unmanageable. This last image base+ image blocks all control of all other devices at that control page. A simple lamp can then no longer be turned on or off.

Posted on
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:30 am
DaveL17 offline

Thanks for the clarification, John. I wasn’t clear what the problem was with Indigo Touch.

I’m glad that control pages in Safari work for you.

Posted on
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:00 pm
McJohn offline

Found the perfect kiosk browser for iPad:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/kiosk-ful ... 1544947623

With no navigation/status bar and works with name:password in the URL to connect with Indigo Server.

Made a black heuristic image and schedule to make the screen black at night (And Trigger: Alarm system On -> iPad screen black and vice versa).
And with an action when the screen is pressed, the black image disappears and the control page is shown again :D