[SOLVED]Notify (email) me if nobody's home and a light was

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:06 pm
scriptures4life offline

[SOLVED]Notify (email) me if nobody's home and a light was

Hi team,

I'm wondering what the easiest way to set this up is?

Logic:
Send me an email if a light is on and no motion has been detected in the last 2 hours.
Would be the same for thermostat i.e. thermostat is set to heat and is set above x degrees / set to cool and setpoint is below x degrees, and no motion has been detected in the past 2 hours.

What is the easiest way to set this up? I created a variable "nomotion" but I can't seem to get the logic just right.

Thanks so much!
Danny

All house lights and block heater are Insteon switches. Running Indigo Pro.

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:21 pm
hamw offline

Re: Notify (email) me if nobody's home and a light was left

Have you tried setting up presence detection with either Smartphone Radar or Fing? When all phones are gone after a user defined period, the presence variable is set to "away". The variable change can execute a trigger that will poll for light status (look for on/off group status?) and SMS you (need to enable Google Voice plugin) if any are on and/or turn them all off. Also you can then execute a thermostat temp change.

Another alternative is to set up find my friends on the iPhone with parsing of the emails to set a variable. When everyone's gone, a script can change the status to "away" just like SPR or Fing.

If you're just looking for a trigger to fire based on motion detection absence for two hours, create a 2 hour timer that is reset every time motion is detected, and fires your trigger when it reaches zero. Make the condition such that it does not fire when you're at home but asleep etc., e.g. between 10 pm and 7 am or something like that.

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:26 pm
scriptures4life offline

Those are some good ideas hamw! Thanks! :D

I think I may ultimately use that, along with motion as well in case the person is home, just asleep.

What I am really looking for the exact sort of logic I should implement in the trigger dialogue to cause the email to be sent when "no motion has been detected in the last two hours, and no motion is currently being detected, and a light is on."

All house lights and block heater are Insteon switches. Running Indigo Pro.

Posted on
Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There are several approaches actually - but most require more information about how you use your system.

One approach would be to create a Timer device with a 2 hour execution time. Create a trigger to start the timer when the motion sensor's on state becomes off (starting a running timer restarts the countdown). Then, create another trigger that fires when the timer expires with a condition that the light is on and an action that sends the email.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:34 am
rvarela offline

If I understand well, to extend this concept to more motion sensors it is necessary to write the trigger for each of the sensors. Is there a way to group a series of similar sensors in a group, and make a trigger ask "if any of the motion detectors is on" instead of manually asking each one? That was a added bonus of the security/Switchboard plugin, but I was unsuccessful when trying with zwave devices. Maybe the virtual devices?

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:43 am
rvarela offline

Just answering myself. The virtual device group can be used for this purpose.

Page 1 of 1