Insteon Switchlinc V2 Dimmer????

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:28 pm
BruceP offline

Insteon Switchlinc V2 Dimmer????

Following another thread I just received the dimmer and installed. I set the address following the instructions and my little clock/controller does control the switch (on, off, dim).

I cannot get Indigo to control the switch at all. I set the following for the switch:
Switchlinc 2-way dimmer
Default dim level 50% - downloaded
Ranp rate 2.0 sec - downloaded
Switch transmitting checked

When I request a status I get a time out error

It is replacing an standard X-10 switch that did work with Indigo.

Please advise

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:32 pm
Tmaxx offline

(No subject)

I was getting the same kind of thing when I installed my Togglelink. I installed two Filterlinks and a Signal Link Signal Coupler. That fixed all communication issues in my condo.

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:49 pm
BruceP offline

(No subject)

Well that is the first thing I do not wish to spend money on. That is why I did the X-10/ Insteon switch so I could get away from such things.

Now I am finding with indigo off the lights are coming on, on their own.

This may not be the switch for me.

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:14 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Might be a bad switch, or could be a signal problem that didn't happen with the old switch. The SwitchLincs filter out noise better than standard X10 switches, which I suppose could make them a bit less sensitive. But interesting that the switch is coming on by itself... sounds like something is wrong.

You might try doing the factory reset a few times. Would also be interesting to know if the switche comes on by itself if it does NOT have an X10 address assigned to it.

INSTEON support in Indigo should be happening pretty soon. Still waiting on a new PowerLinc release from Smarthome, but the software is very close to a stable beta state.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:17 am
AutomatedOutlet offline

(No subject)

If you're using the Insteon switch in X10 mode, the results will be about the same as installing a 2-way X10 switch. It sounds like a signal strength issue to me in that case. You need to make sure you have a signal coupler and proper signal strength. We have free loaners on X10 signal meters if you need one.

If you are trying to do it in Insteon mode, that will be after there is software support for Insteon. Once that is there though, you will still need to couple the signals with the Insteon RF couplers.

Martin Custer
www.AutomatedOutlet.com

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:12 pm
BruceP offline

(No subject)

It is funny, but like I said I removed an X-10 switch that was working wonderfully. This change to the Insteon/X-10 was to have a preset dimming capability.

Now when Indego is running the light does what it wants when it wants.

Thanks for the info

Posted on
Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:59 am
BruceP offline

(No subject)

OK, I am stupid and just found this out.

No really, I am a little slow at times, an miss things. I am sorry, but this whole thread was a waste because I missed a little switch.

Seems when I set up the switch for X-10 with the little clock controller, I had the 1-4,5-8 switch set to 5-8. So whan I thought I was requesting A1 I was really sending A5. This also accounts for the strange on/offs going on.

Thanks all for your help, but I did learn some things along the way.

BTW for right now the switch is cool, with the preset dimming and all.

Thanks again

Posted on
Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:16 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Cool -- thanks for the follow-up. Glad it was not a hardware problem.

Matt

Page 1 of 1