Identify Dual-Band devices

Posted on
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:02 pm
tailwheel offline

Identify Dual-Band devices

I'd like some help to clearly identify dual-band Insteon devices.

My device list shows some Insteon Models as "(dual-band)" while others don't show that label -- even though they are dual-band.

In particular, I just swapped out an old SwitchLinc Relay "Firmware: 3A (i2 engine)" with a dual-band SwitchLinc Relay "Firmware: 43 (i2CS engine)". This new switch shows as Model SwitchLinc Relay, with no mention of being "dual-band".

I have a number of other Insteon devices installed for which I'd like to determine their dual-band status.

Is it true that modules prior to the i2CS engine will include "dual-band" in their model description whenever it applies?

Is the i2CS engine used only in those Insteon modules with RF radios, and may or may not indicate as being "dual-band"?

Am I missing anything else?

Best,
Greg

Posted on
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:00 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Identify Dual-Band devices

tailwheel wrote:
Is it true that modules prior to the i2CS engine will include "dual-band" in their model description whenever it applies?

I'm not sure that will be the case (but it might be).
tailwheel wrote:
Is the i2CS engine used only in those Insteon modules with RF radios, and may or may not indicate as being "dual-band"?

Although i2CS doesn't necessarily mean dual-band, I believe any modules that has the i2CS firmware that is AC powered (plugged in, wired in as a switch) is dual-band. Motion detectors and other battery operated modules can be i2CS but are obviously RF only.

Page 1 of 1