Last update messed up KPLs

Posted on
Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:19 pm
kpfriedberg offline

Last update messed up KPLs

With the last update, all of my KPLs somehow got messed up. Each, an 8-button unit, now shows as a 6-button. All the buttons other than the main, no longer work as they once did, be they setting off action groups, or in one case are always just to turn on an action group and therefore should never remain lit, etc, etc...any thoughts?

Posted on
Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:16 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Re: Last update messed up KPLs

I'd re sync them.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:35 am
kpfriedberg offline

ryanbuckner wrote:
I'd re sync them.

already did, to no avail...all of the buttons got messed up too...

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:13 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

So the KeypadLincs themselves went from 8 button mode to 6 button mode (as shown by the top and bottom rows of LEDs lighting together when pressed) ?

After the Re-Sync what mode does the Button Configuration popup show in the device dialogs?

When specifically did the change occur? Did you Re-Sync and then it occurred? Did you use a plugin that might have changed the settings?

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:04 am
kpfriedberg offline

matt (support) wrote:
So the KeypadLincs themselves went from 8 button mode to 6 button mode (as shown by the top and bottom rows of LEDs lighting together when pressed) ?

After the Re-Sync what mode does the Button Configuration popup show in the device dialogs?

When specifically did the change occur? Did you Re-Sync and then it occurred? Did you use a plugin that might have changed the settings?

No, not if i understand you. The physical hardware has never changed, always 8-button KPLs, however, when i edit the module within Indigo, for example, Master Bedroom, the dialogue box now shows it as a 6-button, and all of the 'group' links are messed up. a re-sync all links did not rectify. The change specifically looks to have occurred when i upgraded Indigo to the most recent release a few weeks back.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:16 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

8 button KeypadLincs can be put into 6 button mode. When that occurs the top two buttons and the bottom two buttons act together. That is, pressing button #1 or #2 (top row) will light the LEDs for both buttons and turn on the load. Likewise, pressing pressing button #7 or #8 will light the LEDs for the bottom row and the load will turn off. Is that what occurs when you press those buttons?

Perform a Re-Sync of one of the KeypadLincs not working correctly, then copy/paste the Event Logs showing the sync for me.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 am
kpfriedberg offline

matt (support) wrote:
8 button KeypadLincs can be put into 6 button mode. When that occurs the top two buttons and the bottom two buttons act together. That is, pressing button #1 or #2 (top row) will light the LEDs for both buttons and turn on the load. Likewise, pressing pressing button #7 or #8 will light the LEDs for the bottom row and the load will turn off. Is that what occurs when you press those buttons?

Perform a Re-Sync of one of the KeypadLincs not working correctly, then copy/paste the Event Logs showing the sync for me.

Don't think you are getting my meaning. I have always had 8-button KPLs, they have always been programmed that way, each button has a unique, and customized button and action. this was the way it was. I updated the Indigo Software, now Indigo says they are 6-button KPLs (the drop down box in edit is set to 6), and all the links are messed up....re-syncing does not fix the issue because the links when clicking Manage Links are all messed up.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:45 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

No, I believe I understand what you are saying. Re-read my last post. 8 button KeypadLincs can be put into 6 button mode (just as 6 button KPLs can be put in 8 button KPLs). I want you to press the buttons on the module itself and watch what the LEDs do (per my description) to see what mode the KPL is truly in. We are troubleshooting here.

Then, please Re-Sync and copy/paste the contents as I requested. I'm not asking you to do that because I think it will fix the problem. Again, we are troubleshooting here.

Lastly, if you updated weeks ago and just now are noticing the problem it could be several different things that caused it. I'm not so sure we can easily say the update was the issue. We have to troubleshoot some more.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:54 am
kpfriedberg offline

matt (support) wrote:
No, I believe I understand what you are saying. Re-read my last post. 8 button KeypadLincs can be put into 6 button mode (just as 6 button KPLs can be put in 8 button KPLs). I want you to press the buttons on the module itself and watch what the LEDs do (per my description) to see what mode the KPL is truly in. We are troubleshooting here.

Then, please Re-Sync and copy/paste the contents as I requested. I'm not asking you to do that because I think it will fix the problem. Again, we are troubleshooting here.

Lastly, if you updated weeks ago and just now are noticing the problem it could be several different things that caused it. I'm not so sure we can easily say the update was the issue. We have to troubleshoot some more.

Ah, well technically i've done that, since in each case, button one applies directly to the light that switch was meant for...so in my Master Bedroom case, last night, i pushed button 1, i didn't see button 2 go off, same for my mudroom, turning on that light didn't cause button 2 to go off...i'll paste the re-sync log results when i can....thanks again for the help.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:56 am
kpfriedberg offline

here is the resync log from last night

PowerLinc Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 13.AF.AA)
PowerLinc Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 10.04.77, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
PowerLinc Linking - sync complete
PowerLinc Linking - initializing remote device "Master Bed Main Light" (address 10.04.77, firmware version 2D)
PowerLinc Linking - PowerLinc links updated
PowerLinc Linking - . reading: configuration settings
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: configuration settings 00, keypad in 6 button mode
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: default on brightness 100%, ramp rate duration 0.1 seconds
PowerLinc Linking - initialize complete
PowerLinc Linking - device "Master Bed Main Light" properties updated
PowerLinc Linking - syncing remote device "Master Bed Main Light" (address 10.04.77, firmware version 2D)
PowerLinc Linking - syncing all links
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 0E.14.03, flags E2, group 01, data FE 1F 01
PowerLinc Linking - . removing: old PowerLinc address 0E.14.03 from device's database
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 13.AF.AA, flags E2, group 01, data FE 1F 01
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 13.AF.AA, flags E2, group 02, data FE 1F 02
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 13.AF.AA, flags E2, group 03, data FE 1F 03
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 13.AF.AA, flags E2, group 04, data FE 1F 04
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 13.AF.AA, flags E2, group 05, data FE 1F 05
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 0E.14.AA, flags E2, group 06, data FE 1F 06
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 13.AF.AA, flags E2, group 07, data FE 1F 07
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 13.AF.AA, flags A2, group 04, data FF 1F 08
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 17.74.E6, flags E2, group 08, data FE 1F 08
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 13.AF.AA, flags A2, group 05, data FF 1F 03
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 10.05.34, flags A2, group 07, data FF 1F 07
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 11.6B.0E, flags A2, group 01, data FF 1F 06
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 11.6B.0E, flags E2, group 06, data FE 1F 06
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 11.66.9F, flags A2, group 01, data FF 1F 05
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 11.66.9F, flags E2, group 05, data FE 1F 05
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 10.00.FE, flags E2, group 07, data FE 1F 07
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 10.05.34, flags E2, group 07, data FE 1F 07
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 10.00.FE, flags A2, group 07, data FF 1F 07
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 13.AF.AA, flags E2, group 08, data FE 1F 08
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 1
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 2
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 3
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 4
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 5
PowerLinc Linking - . . adding: PowerLinc responder for group 6 (replacing empty link at 0FF8)
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 7
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 8
PowerLinc Linking - comparing local and remote links
PowerLinc Linking - . . match: remote link is identical to persistent link 13.AF.AA, flags A2, group 04
PowerLinc Linking - . . match: remote link is identical to persistent link 17.74.E6, flags E2, group 08
PowerLinc Linking - . . match: remote link is identical to persistent link 13.AF.AA, flags A2, group 05
PowerLinc Linking - . . match: remote link is identical to persistent link 10.05.34, flags A2, group 07
PowerLinc Linking - . . match: remote link is identical to persistent link 11.6B.0E, flags A2, group 01
PowerLinc Linking - . . match: remote link is identical to persistent link 11.6B.0E, flags E2, group 06
PowerLinc Linking - . . match: remote link is identical to persistent link 11.66.9F, flags A2, group 01
PowerLinc Linking - . . match: remote link is identical to persistent link 11.66.9F, flags E2, group 05
PowerLinc Linking - . . match: remote link is identical to persistent link 10.00.FE, flags E2, group 07
PowerLinc Linking - . . match: remote link is identical to persistent link 10.05.34, flags E2, group 07
PowerLinc Linking - . . match: remote link is identical to persistent link 10.00.FE, flags A2, group 07
PowerLinc Linking - compare complete
PowerLinc Linking - sync complete
PowerLinc Linking - device "Master Bed Main Light" links updated

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:13 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

kpfriedberg wrote:
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: configuration settings 00, keypad in 6 button mode

This shows that the KeypadLinc thinks it is in 6 button mode, or is in a bad state. Since it sounds like the KeypadLinc itself doesn't show that it is in 6 button mode (based on the LED description). But double check to make sure. Note how it works -- if you press button 1 or button 2 (either top row buttons) then both buttons will light up (the entire row lights up) and the load will turn ON. Likewise, pressing either button on the bottom row causes both bottom-row buttons to light up (and both buttons on the top row to turn OFF) and the load will turn OFF.

The firmware on your KPL is pretty old. Inside the Device dialog, is the SET button to the right of the 6/8 button popup enabled or disabled? Indigo cannot remotely change the button configuration mode on older KeypadLincs -- I'm not sure which category this particular KPL falls under.

Regardless, Indigo only sends the commands to change the button configuration of a KPL when you change the popup and then press the SET button (if it is enabled). It never tries to change the button configuration as a result of a sync or define and sync. So if you didn't press the SET button, then Indigo didn't tell the KeypadLinc to change modes. Some other possible ways it could change: following the KPL manual steps to change the mode at the switch itself, a bug in the KPL (maybe a power outage got it into a bad state), a plugin or script sent commands to the KPL that got it into a bad state, or a malfunctioning KPL.

I'd suggest you do a factory reset at the switch itself, then re-Define and Sync it. Presuming the links in the link editor are marked with the Persistent checkbox enabled, Indigo will automatically re-write them during the Define and Sync. If you do this, then please copy/paste the results showing the Define and Sync. I'm curious if the module still shows it is in 6 button mode after a full factory reset or not.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:17 am
kpfriedberg offline

matt (support) wrote:
kpfriedberg wrote:

This shows that the KeypadLinc thinks it is in 6 button mode, or is in a bad state. Since it sounds like the KeypadLinc itself doesn't show that it is in 6 button mode (based on the LED description). But double check to make sure. Note how it works -- if you press button 1 or button 2 (either top row buttons) then both buttons will light up (the entire row lights up) and the load will turn ON. Likewise, pressing either button on the bottom row causes both bottom-row buttons to light up (and both buttons on the top row to turn OFF) and the load will turn OFF.

This behavior does not occur

matt (support) wrote:
The firmware on your KPL is pretty old. Inside the Device dialog, is the SET button to the right of the 6/8 button popup enabled or disabled? Indigo cannot remotely change the button configuration mode on older KeypadLincs -- I'm not sure which category this particular KPL falls under.

Disabled - if you are referring to the "set" button

matt (support) wrote:
Regardless, Indigo only sends the commands to change the button configuration of a KPL when you change the popup and then press the SET button (if it is enabled). It never tries to change the button configuration as a result of a sync or define and sync. So if you didn't press the SET button, then Indigo didn't tell the KeypadLinc to change modes. Some other possible ways it could change: following the KPL manual steps to change the mode at the switch itself, a bug in the KPL (maybe a power outage got it into a bad state), a plugin or script sent commands to the KPL that got it into a bad state, or a malfunctioning KPL.

I'd suggest you do a factory reset at the switch itself, then re-Define and Sync it. Presuming the links in the link editor are marked with the Persistent checkbox enabled, Indigo will automatically re-write them during the Define and Sync. If you do this, then please copy/paste the results showing the Define and Sync. I'm curious if the module still shows it is in 6 button mode after a full factory reset or not.

ugh, shouldn't i do a firmware update?

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:17 am
kpfriedberg offline

and btw, this happened for ALL THREE of my KPLs, not just the one.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

INSTEON devices aren't firmware upgradable by end-users or by us - that's not how they're manufactured. The only thing we can recommend is that you factory reset them then redo the define and sync and see if they start reporting correct information.

Given that it happened to 3 KPLs, I'd guess that some kind of power outage/spike caused them all to get very confused if not physically damaged - but that's just my guess.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:18 pm
kpfriedberg offline

jay (support) wrote:
INSTEON devices aren't firmware upgradable by end-users or by us - that's not how they're manufactured. The only thing we can recommend is that you factory reset them then redo the define and sync and see if they start reporting correct information.

Given that it happened to 3 KPLs, I'd guess that some kind of power outage/spike caused them all to get very confused if not physically damaged - but that's just my guess.

Thanks, I doubt it was a power spike...I still look to the upgrade :), I have a pretty robust whole house surge protector on my panel....