Insteon Temperature Monitoring

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2012 4:49 pm
johnpolasek offline

Re: Insteon Temperature Monitoring

matt (support) wrote:
ryanbuckner wrote:
Jay, why did the TempLinc become discontinued do you think? It seemed like a perfect solution.

Smarthome would have to answer that question. But right now our recommended solution for monitoring temperatures (and humidity) in multiple locations wirelessly is the the RFXrec433 and Oregon Scientific temperature sensors.

I know Norm will have the RFXrec433 in stock soon, and I know he just got a shipment of temperature sensors in but I'm not sure he has them listed on the site yet. I imagine you could order them though if you emailed him.

The "three channel" Radio shack temperature sensors also work with the RFX; I'm using a pair of them to tell me when the AC is on and off (until I get a Venstar or something similar, at which point I will roll them over into alternate room temp sensors.

Posted on
Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:21 pm
noefresh offline

It's 2014- is the RFXrec433 still the best way to get wireless temp monitoring into Indigo? I tried some Netatmo sensors- but they're just not nearly accurate enough to be useful.

Posted on
Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:44 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The "best way" is a bit subjective. For instance, if you have need for motion sensors then you could also get a Z-Stick and multi-sensors which do motion and temp. The Oregon Scientific sensors are smaller and cheaper (though you do have to get the RFXrec) so it really depends on what you want to do.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:44 am
noefresh offline

Trying Multisensors for now!

-Noah

Posted on
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:14 pm
mswall offline

Just wanted to let the group know about the THUM temperature & humidity sensor available from Practical Design Group. This USB device has been on the market over 10 years but the Mac driver/software had not been upgraded for quite a while and quit working under Catalina. I just completed a rewrite of the software for Practical Design and it is now available for download. The new app is 64bit, works with Catalina, and has a full AppleScript interface.

I’ve used the THUM and INDIGO in my restoration shop/brewery for 10 years to control a set of INSTEON switches for the heating and cooling. I access the remote sensor via local WiFi to a Mac Mini running in the shop that I can pole using remote Apple Events. The THUM acts as a thermostat in my shop for both heating and cooling. I use the recorded temperature data from the THUM and the outside ambient temperature from the local airport to create a dynamic temperature profile of the shop indoor and outdoor temperatures which, via the INDIGO app on my phone lets me see anytime what is happening with the fermenters in the brewery.

Note: to access the THUM device, install the py-applescript module as described in the INDIGO documentation and then you can read the temperature, humidity, and dew-point from the device using python in INDIGO.

The THUM device is one of the most reliable and comparatively inexpensive Indigo-compatible temp devices available.

Practical Design Group / MacTHUM : [ http://www.practicaldesign.com ]