EZeye & EZIO6I

Posted on
Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:17 pm
bob offline

EZeye & EZIO6I

I'm using an EZeye with the EZIO6I. I have both analog & digital inputs selected. I have the EZeye set so that Binary input 1 is showing 1 when there is light & 0 when dark.

I'm a bit confused by the analog operation. I'm using the analog portion of the EZeye on analog input 1 of the EZIO6I and analog 2 is shorted to ground on the EZIO6I. When there is light Binary input 5 is showing 1 and 0 when dark but I have the trip points unselected. Correctly number 1 analog input is showing a number between 0 and 1023 depending in the light and number analog input two shows zero.

Can you explain the relationship between Binary inputs 5 & 6 and the analog inputs and how the trips points interact with this? Also what is Continuous analog conversion?

thanks!

bob

Posted on
Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:36 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: EZeye & EZIO6I

Hi Bob,

The binary states show the on/off state for that analog input based on the trip points specified. So for the EZIO6I, binary states 5 and 6 represent the on/off state (using the trip points for the thresholds) of your 2 analog inputs. You can adjust the threshold values and the binary state will change at different analog crossing values.

Note that the binary value changes are pushed to Indigo, but the analog values have to be polled (via a status request).

To be honest, I don't recall exactly what continuous analog conversion does. When that option is checked, Indigo just sets a flag in the EZIO that enables that functionality. I believe there is a bit more information in one of the SimpleHomeNet.com docs about what that option does, but even there it was vague. Specifically, I don't recall if you have to have that option enabled to use the trip points or not.

Posted on
Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:16 pm
bob offline

What does "status request" do in comparison to "status request (analog inputs)" and "status request (binary inputs)"? Is it a combination of the two?

I have the EZeye working great. Rather than using "isDaylight" the EZeye now activates my night lights at the same light value every day.

Posted on
Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:22 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, it does all of the individual requests automatically. You might be able to get away with just status request (analog inputs) since the binary inputs should automatically be updating. They can get out of sync if there is a signal problem or Indigo isn't running, but other than that those (binary input values) should update automatically.

Posted on
Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:07 pm
bob offline

Matt,

If I use just the #1 binary input on the EZIO6I (I'm only using the #1 for the EZeye digital output as they call it) the Binary Inputs update automatically. But once I enable the analog inputs the #1 Binary Input no longer updates automatically. I've tried resetting, resyncing etc. but the binary input won't update automatically.

Posted on
Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:19 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If you enable the analog inputs, then I believe the binary value should automatically update but it only does so when the analog value crosses over the analog trip point thresholds. I'm not 100% positive on this though, it has been a while since I experimented with analog inputs on the EZIOs.

Posted on
Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:01 pm
bob offline

Matt,

I don't think I was clear in my last posting.

I have the EZeye "digital" (straight ON or OFF) output connected to #1 binary input of the EZIO6I. If I DO NOT select "Enable analog inputs" then the #1 binary input on the Indigo Binary Inputs display updates automatically.

Then if I also connect the analog output of the EZeye to the #1 analog input of the EZIO6I and have a Time/Date Action periodically run an action to "Get Analog Inputs Values" the Analog Input on the Indigo Analog Inputs display updates correctly but the previously working Binary Input #1 and now the Binary Input #5 (from the "Enable analog inputs" trip points) will not automatically update. I have to run another Time/Date Action to periodically run an action to "Get Binary Inputs Values".

I've posted to Simplehomenet to see what they say but if my previous experience with them holds true then the EZeye and the EZIO6I will go into the trash like the other Simeplehomenet products I purchased.

Posted on
Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:10 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks for the clarification -- I was confused.

I presume you aren't seeing any incoming commands in the Event Log in the failure case (when analog inputs are enabled)? Please let me know what you hear from SimpleHomeNet.

Posted on
Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:58 am
bob offline

Matt,

Here is Simplehomenet's response. I'll keep this post updated.

by Justin on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:40 am

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your message.

Let me do some testing with an EZIO6I I have and see if I can duplicate this error. I'll also run this by our engineers and see if they've ever heard of this also, as I really haven't.

Having read your post on Indigo's forum...I will make sure the conclusion doesn't turn out the same.

All I ask is that you give me some time to duplicate the error and if it has been fixed already, I'll have you send it in for upgrade...as we're on v28 currently.

Feel free to email me directly at support@simplehomenet.com.

Best regards,

Justin

Posted on
Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:07 pm
bob offline

Matt,

Here is Simplehomenet's reply. So I should link the inputs to the PLM?

Bob, I set up my EZIO6I with an EZEye on digital Input 1 and Analog 1 (Input 5). Both Inputs report state change when the Enable Analog Inputs option in On and the Analog 1 trip points are set. I am using the UDI ISY device so my test environment is not using the software package you are using.

Are the Inputs linked to the Indigo PLM or are you using the Broadcast Status Chg option to report state changes. Also if using the Broadcast Status Chg option when not using Analog 1 in Analog mode, when the Enable Analog Inputs option is set is the Broadcast Status Chg option also being set.

Bob, if you do not know whether Indigo is using links or the Broadcast Status Chg option can you post the PLM traffic from the EZIO6I both without and with the Enable Analog Inputs option set. Should be able to tell from the Insteon messages in the trace what options are set.

Lee

re: EZeye & EZIO6I
by bob on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:04 pm

I am using the Broadcast Status Change so I gather I should link the inputs to the PLM?

by grif091 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:14 pm

I don't know what Indigo supports regarding using links with Indigo. That configuration does work with the ISY device. Using the Broadcast Status Chg option does raise the possibility that when the Enable Analog Inputs option was set the Broadcast Status Chg option was reset. The full Configuration Register is set when any option is set so it is necessary for Indigo to set all the options that are desired when any one option is changed.

I will set up a test using the Broadcast Status Chg configuration and see if I can reproduce what you are seeing.

Posted on
Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:11 pm
bob offline

How do I set the 2413U as a responder to a EZIO6I? The instructions with the EZIO6I don't seem to work. When I get to step 3- on the device to be controlled (2413U) press it's push button 3-4 seconds and release. I don't get the successful link indication.

thanks,

bob

Posted on
Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:36 pm
bob offline

by grif091 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:48 am

I have not been able to establish a test environment for Broadcast Status Chg. Suggest verifying that the Broadcast Status Chg option is in fact set when the Enable Analog Inputs Configuration Register option is set. And try establishing links for Inputs 1 & 5 as I have verified that setup works when the Enable Analog Inputs option is set with active links defined.

by bob on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:49 am

I tried following the instructions with the EZIO6I to set the links. The EXIO6I follows the instructions but I don't get the correct response in step 3 for the Insteon device to be controlled (PLM). I'm using a 2413U. Have the instructions changed with the new PLM's?

by grif091 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:10 am

I don't know but would not be surprised. Smartlabs is constantly evolving the Insteon product line. I am PC based and use software to establish links with PLMs. Perhaps Indigo has that capability as well. Likely Indigo would have to know about the responder links for the software to react to them anyway

by grif091 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Bob,

I was able to set up test bed for Broadcast Status Chg. My EZIO6I sends a Broadcast message for both Input 1 and Input 5 (Analog 1) when the Enable Analog Inputs option is set. I would make sure that when you are setting the Enable Analog Inputs option On you are also turning On the Broadcast Status Chg option as well. Since the entire Configuration Register is written when any option is changed it is necessary to specify all options that are active when turning on the Enable Analog Inputs option. The EZEye digital output connected to Input 1 reacts faster than the EZEye analog output so I get a Status Change message showing Input 1 turning On followed by another Status Change message showing Input 5 (Analog 1) turning On. Same sequence when I cover the EZEye and both EZEye digital and analog outputs turn Off.

from ID:0C.AF.26 flags:83 cmd1:27 cmd2:21
from ID:0C.AF.26 flags:83 cmd1:27 cmd2:31

from ID:0C.AF.26 flags:83 cmd1:27 cmd2:30
from ID:0C.AF.26 flags:83 cmd1:27 cmd2:20

Lee

EDIT: in case you are wondering, Input 6 (Analog 2) was floating so it is showing On in all the Broadcast messages.

Posted on
Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:37 pm
bob offline

Matt,

I'll let you digest all this info form Simplehomenet and wait your response.

thanks,

bob

Posted on
Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:39 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

SimpleHomeNet wrote:
Are the Inputs linked to the Indigo PLM or are you using the Broadcast Status Chg option to report state changes. Also if using the Broadcast Status Chg option when not using Analog 1 in Analog mode, when the Enable Analog Inputs option is set is the Broadcast Status Chg option also being set.

Indigo always enables the Broadcast Status Change option. It does not link the individual inputs back to the PowerLinc, but instead relies on the broadcasts occurring.
SimpleHomeNet wrote:
The full Configuration Register is set when any option is set so it is necessary for Indigo to set all the options that are desired when any one option is changed.

Indigo does do this. Here is an example showing the raw commands sent when the analog input option is disabled:

Code: Select all
  Debug               SENT: insteon 0F.9D.D7   05.06.2E   00    4D 40
  Debug               RCVD: insteon 05.06.2E   0F.9D.D7   21    4D 40
  Debug               RCVD: ack from 05.06.2E for command 4D 40
  Sent INSTEON        "_ezio8sa_" write configuration flags (received: 40)

Debug               SENT: insteon 0F.9D.D7   05.06.2E   00    4F 01
  Debug               RCVD: insteon 05.06.2E   0F.9D.D7   21    4F 01
  Debug               RCVD: ack from 05.06.2E for command 4F 01
  Sent INSTEON        "_ezio8sa_" finalize i/o device EEPROM changes

And here is an example with analog inputs enabled:

Code: Select all
  Debug               SENT: insteon 0F.9D.D7   05.06.2E   00    4D 41
  Debug               RCVD: insteon 05.06.2E   0F.9D.D7   21    4D 41
  Debug               RCVD: ack from 05.06.2E for command 4D 41
  Sent INSTEON        "_ezio8sa_" set analog input trip values
  Sent INSTEON        "_ezio8sa_" write configuration flags (received: 41)

Debug               SENT: insteon 0F.9D.D7   05.06.2E   00    4F 01
  Debug               RCVD: insteon 05.06.2E   0F.9D.D7   21    4F 01
  Debug               RCVD: ack from 05.06.2E for command 4F 01
  Sent INSTEON        "_ezio8sa_" finalize i/o device EEPROM changes

Note in both cases bit 6 is set (0x40 and 0x41). I also re-verified that my old EZIO8SA sends out the status change broadcasts regardless of the state of the "enable analog inputs" option.

Posted on
Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:04 pm
bob offline

Simplehomenet says they can't reproduce my problem and basically you say it should work as the Broadcast Status Change is enabled.

If the EZIO6I input #1 updates OK if ENABLE ANALOG INPUTS is not selected and then if the ENABLE ANALOG INPUTS IS ENABLED and this causes neither the #1 or #5 input or the Analog input to automatically update nor show any action in the Events Log can it be a problem with the EZIO6I?

Is there no way to manually link the EZIO6I to the PLM using the buttons on the sides of the units? If so how?

Also when I upgraded to 2414U I was never prompted for the driver. Everything other than this problem with the EZIO6I is working OK. Could the driver be the problem?