Support for Insteon thermostat 2441TH

Posted on
Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:12 pm
pgershon offline

Support for Insteon thermostat 2441TH

I just installed one and do not see support for many of the features. Maybe I am missing something:

1) There is an "energy" button/mode on the thermostat that raises or lowers the heat/cool setpoints. Is there a way to poll if "energy" is on or off and/or to set it?
2) Is there a way to set the "energy" setpoint differential. Default is 4 degrees, but device manual suggests that this can be changed with software.
3) Is there a way to poll if the fan is on or off when in auto mode? Only way I have found is to look at the log to see if the fan was last on or off.

Posted on
Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:19 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Support for Insteon thermostat 2441TH

pgershon wrote:
1) There is an "energy" button/mode on the thermostat that raises or lowers the heat/cool setpoints. Is there a way to poll if "energy" is on or off and/or to set it?

Not from what I can tell (although the documentation I have isn't the best). Based on your other thread it sounds like it is entering Energy Saving mode for some reason. I don't know why that would occur -- I suggest you contact Smarthome and see if they can explain what is going on. Please let us know what you find out.

pgershon wrote:
2) Is there a way to set the "energy" setpoint differential. Default is 4 degrees, but device manual suggests that this can be changed with software.

Possibly. Again, the documentation isn't clear but running a python script like below might do it. You can run it by creating an Action Group and selecting the Execute Script action (and using the emedded python option):

Code: Select all
degrees = 4
devaddr = indigo.devices["your thermostat device name here"].address
reply = indigo.insteon.sendRawExtended(devaddr, [0x2E, 0x00, 0x01, 0x07, degrees], waitUntilAck=True)
indigo.server.log(str(reply))

You'll want to tweak the first two lines based on the degrees you want and the device name. Please let me know if it works.

pgershon wrote:
3) Is there a way to poll if the fan is on or off when in auto mode? Only way I have found is to look at the log to see if the fan was last on or off.

Not that I'm aware of. Indigo turns on the operational broadcasting so it gets notified when the compressor and furnace turn ON and OFF, but I don't believe there is any way to know (via polling or broadcasts) when the fan is cycling.

Posted on
Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:03 pm
pgershon offline

pgershon wrote:

Not from what I can tell (although the documentation I have isn't the best). Based on your other thread it sounds like it is entering Energy Saving mode for some reason. I don't know why that would occur -- I suggest you contact Smarthome and see if they can explain what is going on. Please let us know what you find out.

After three calls to Smarthome, they gave up and are shipping me a new unit. They thought/hoped a factory reset would make the problem go away, but unfortunately it did not. I should get new unit tomorrow.

Possibly. Again, the documentation isn't clear but running a python script like below might do it. You can run it by creating an Action Group and selecting the Execute Script action (and using the emedded python option):

I tried the following python script and it worked (I needed to match the case of the unit name):

degrees = 3
devaddr = indigo.devices["thermostat - downstairs"].address
reply = indigo.insteon.sendRawExtended(devaddr, [0x2E, 0x00, 0x01, 0x07, degrees], waitUntilAck=True)
indigo.server.log(str(reply))

Too bad about the fan status. I think (not sure) the Venstar does do that? I may be thinking of my Jandy pool controls though.

One other note - I wrote a trigger to deal with this issue. It is triggered when the set point goes below 68 or above 72 (so when the energy mode changes the setpoint by 4 degrees), and it re-sets the setpoint back to 70. For some reason, while indigo displays the setpoint at 70, my HVAC does not take action on the 70 (it still reacts to the 66 or 74 before my indigo command). The thermostat itself shows setpoint at 74 or 66. The command is accepted after I "refresh all" or check status another way. The thermostat now goes to 70. Not sure why

This is what I get when energy kicks in:

Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" heat setpoint changed to 67.0
  Trigger                         heat "energy"
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" set heat setpoint to 70.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" cool setpoint changed to 78.0
  Email Sent                      to "pgershon@me.com"; subject "low trigger"

Then I do a check status:

Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" setpoint request (received: heat 67.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" set heat setpoint to 70.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" heat setpoint changed to 70.0

Now I turn off the energy setting and check status so it is accepted

Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" heat setpoint changed to 73.0
  Trigger                         heat "energy" copy
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" cool setpoint changed to 75.0
  Email Sent                      to "pgershon@me.com"; subject "high trigger"
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" mode request (received: heat on)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature request (received: 70.5)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity request (received: 24.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" setpoint request (received: heat 73.0)
  Trigger                         heat "energy" copy
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" off (button 2)
  Email Sent                      to "pgershon@me.com"; subject "high trigger"
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" heat setpoint changed to 70.0

Posted on
Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:51 pm
pgershon offline

Also, if one can control the energy setting offset, shouldn't there be a way to change energy from off to on too (and to sense its status)?

Posted on
Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Perhaps there should be, but that doesn't mean there is. Every feature/parameter in the hardware has to be intentionally exposed via the firmware and API. Just because a parameter setting is similar to another that is available doesn't mean it will be exposed. There are lots of parameters folks would like exposed on hardware that just aren't available.

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:39 pm
pgershon offline

Well I received a new thermostat from Smarthome but the "energy" issue has not gone away. The unit seems to randomly (a few time every 24 hours) turn on and off the energy function. I have deal with the issue by changing the setpoint change to zero, but I am confused about what is happening. Either:

1) I have received two defective thermostats (I doubt it)
2) There is noise on my lines causing the thermostat to switch to energy mode
3) Some other signal in my house is signaling the thermostat to go to and from energy mode.

Any ideas?

Posted on
Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:12 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That is really strange. Is there any pattern to when it changes modes?

Anyone else with the 2441TH experiencing the problem?

Posted on
Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:35 am
pgershon offline

No pattern that I can think of. Times seem random. Other activity going on seems limited, Happens during middle of the night while people are sleeping. Is there a way to monitor raw insteon commands that perhaps indigo ignores? I could take down the connection between 2441th and insteon but then I lose the ability to monitor.

Here is my log over the last 12 hours. When the downstairs setpoint for heat and cool change together, that means that energy setting has kicked on or off.

Feb 22, 2013 12:03:05 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" on (button 2)
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature changed to 68.5
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 25.0

Feb 22, 2013 12:04:36 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 26.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 26.0

Feb 22, 2013 12:09:41 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Upstairs" on (button 2)
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Upstairs" on (all linked devices)

Feb 22, 2013 12:11:58 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature changed to 69.5

Feb 22, 2013 12:13:08 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 24.0

Feb 22, 2013 12:13:27 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 23.0

Feb 22, 2013 12:18:34 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Upstairs" off (button 2)
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Upstairs" off (all linked devices)

Feb 22, 2013 12:19:00 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Upstairs" temperature changed to 72.0

Feb 22, 2013 12:19:16 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Kitchen Lights2" on
  Received INSTEON                "Kitchen Lights2" off
  Received INSTEON                "Kitchen Lights2" off

Feb 22, 2013 12:21:57 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 24.0

Feb 22, 2013 12:24:18 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 25.0

Feb 22, 2013 12:24:41 PM

Feb 22, 2013 12:26:06 PM

Feb 22, 2013 12:32:21 PM

Feb 22, 2013 12:33:47 PM

Feb 22, 2013 12:34:51 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature changed to 68.5
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" heat setpoint changed to 69.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" cool setpoint changed to 76.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 21.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 22.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature changed to 69.5
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 23.0

Feb 22, 2013 12:38:22 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Upstairs" temperature changed to 71.0

Feb 22, 2013 12:39:24 PM

Feb 22, 2013 12:50:37 PM

Feb 22, 2013 12:51:56 PM

Feb 22, 2013 12:52:58 PM

Feb 22, 2013 12:53:16 PM
  Received INSTEON                "master bathroom" on

Feb 22, 2013 12:53:58 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Closet Hall" on

Feb 22, 2013 12:55:42 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Master Bedroom" on (button 1)

Feb 22, 2013 12:56:27 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Hall Basement" on
  Received INSTEON                "Master Bedroom" off (button 1)
  Received INSTEON                "Closet Hall" off

Feb 22, 2013 12:58:15 PM
  Received INSTEON                "master bathroom" off

Feb 22, 2013 1:10:04 PM
  PowerLinc                       Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)
  PowerLinc                       Linking - received module button pressed from 20.44.78
  PowerLinc                       Linking - copying all links from old address to new address
  PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 20.F3.1D)
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 20.44.78, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: (not added -- probably already exists)
  PowerLinc                       Linking - PowerLinc links updated
  PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete
  PowerLinc                       Linking - sending engine version request to 20.44.78
  PowerLinc                       Linking - received engine version 02 from 20.44.78
  PowerLinc                       Linking - sending id request for device information to 20.44.78
  PowerLinc                       Linking - received id request response from 20.44.78
  PowerLinc                       Linking - initializing remote device "Thermostat - Downstairs" (address 20.44.78, firmware version 0D)
  PowerLinc                       Linking - .  reading: settings and date/time
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . updating: date/time to 1:10 PM
  PowerLinc                       Linking - initialize complete
  PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing remote device "Thermostat - Downstairs" (address 20.44.78, firmware version 0D)
  PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing all links
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 20.F3.1D, flags E2, group 01, data 03 15 9B
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . .  found: PowerLinc responder for group 1
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: PowerLinc responder for group 2 (inserting new link at 0FF0)
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: PowerLinc responder for group 3 (inserting new link at 0FE8)
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: PowerLinc responder for group 239 (inserting new link at 0FE0)
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . enabling: status change broadcasting
  PowerLinc                       Linking - comparing local and remote links
  PowerLinc                       Linking - compare complete
  PowerLinc                       Linking - device 20.44.78 links updated
  PowerLinc                       Linking - exited linking mode
  PowerLinc                       Linking - batch sync started
  PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 20.F3.1D)
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . deleting: INSTEON plc link to controller 22.18.C8, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 20.44.78, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
  PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: (not added -- probably already exists)
  PowerLinc                       Linking - PowerLinc links updated
  PowerLinc                       Linking - batch sync complete
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" mode request (received: all off)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature request (received: 70.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity request (received: 27.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" setpoint request (skipped)

Feb 22, 2013 1:11:40 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" turn heat on

Feb 22, 2013 1:14:56 PM

Feb 22, 2013 1:17:49 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" mode request (received: all off)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature request (received: 70.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity request (received: 24.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" setpoint request (skipped)

Feb 22, 2013 1:18:15 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" mode changed to heat on; fan auto on

Feb 22, 2013 1:19:05 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" turn cool on
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" mode request (received: cool on)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature request (received: 69.5)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity request (received: 25.0)

Feb 22, 2013 1:19:31 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" mode request (received: cool on)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature request (received: 69.5)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity request (received: 25.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" setpoint request (received: cool 80.0)

Feb 22, 2013 1:19:58 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" turn heat on
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" mode changed to heat on; fan auto on

Feb 22, 2013 1:20:18 PM

Feb 22, 2013 1:21:17 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Upstairs" off (all linked devices)

Feb 22, 2013 1:21:34 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Upstairs" temperature changed to 72.0

Feb 22, 2013 1:22:45 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" off (button 4)

Feb 22, 2013 1:23:34 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 27.0

Feb 22, 2013 1:23:52 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 27.0

Feb 22, 2013 1:26:06 PM

Feb 22, 2013 1:26:26 PM

Feb 22, 2013 1:29:11 PM

Feb 22, 2013 1:29:34 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" on (button 4)

Feb 22, 2013 1:35:54 PM

Feb 22, 2013 1:36:42 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Upstairs" temperature changed to 71.0

Feb 22, 2013 1:37:44 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" mode request (received: heat on)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature request (received: 70.5)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" setpoint request (received: heat 70.0)

Feb 22, 2013 1:41:40 PM

Feb 22, 2013 1:42:07 PM

Feb 22, 2013 1:42:30 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature changed to 70.5

Feb 22, 2013 1:43:13 PM

Feb 22, 2013 1:47:01 PM

Feb 22, 2013 1:47:30 PM

Feb 22, 2013 1:50:17 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" setpoint request (received: heat 70.0)

Feb 22, 2013 1:50:53 PM

Feb 22, 2013 1:53:32 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Office Light" off
  Received X10                    M13 off

Feb 22, 2013 2:03:42 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Office Light" on
  Received X10                    M13 on

Feb 22, 2013 2:07:35 PM

Feb 22, 2013 2:07:52 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Upstairs" temperature changed to 70.0

Feb 22, 2013 2:08:21 PM

Feb 22, 2013 2:09:49 PM

Feb 22, 2013 2:10:30 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Lisa Closet" on

Feb 22, 2013 2:12:27 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Logan's Bedroom" on

Feb 22, 2013 2:15:00 PM

Feb 22, 2013 2:18:04 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Logan's Bedroom" off
  Received INSTEON                "Marshall's Room" on

Feb 22, 2013 2:18:41 PM

Feb 22, 2013 2:20:08 PM

Feb 22, 2013 2:22:11 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Marshall's Room" off

Feb 22, 2013 2:22:27 PM

Feb 22, 2013 2:24:51 PM

Feb 22, 2013 2:35:52 PM

Feb 22, 2013 2:40:03 PM

Feb 22, 2013 2:43:13 PM

Feb 22, 2013 2:49:53 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Parlor Entry Linked Switch" on

Feb 22, 2013 2:51:37 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Parlor Entry Linked Switch" off
  Received INSTEON                "Parlor Entry Linked Switch" off
  Received INSTEON                "Parlor Entry Linked Switch" on

Feb 22, 2013 2:57:16 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:00:47 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:03:55 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:06:40 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:08:24 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 22.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 21.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 20.0

Feb 22, 2013 3:08:50 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:10:27 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:13:24 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature changed to 70.5

Feb 22, 2013 3:17:25 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:28:29 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" heat setpoint changed to 71.0

Feb 22, 2013 3:34:53 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:39:34 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:41:38 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:49:59 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:52:10 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:56:08 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:58:12 PM

Feb 22, 2013 3:58:33 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Upstairs" temperature changed to 70.0

Feb 22, 2013 3:59:04 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 28.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 28.0

Feb 22, 2013 3:59:42 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:00:55 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Office Bathroom Overhead" on

Feb 22, 2013 4:01:36 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Office Bathroom Overhead" off

Feb 22, 2013 4:02:35 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:05:07 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:07:53 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:08:20 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:21:28 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:22:17 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:23:02 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Lisa Closet" off

Feb 22, 2013 4:23:46 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:28:12 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:28:47 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Children's Hall" on

Feb 22, 2013 4:30:51 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:33:35 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:34:10 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:37:45 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:39:41 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:43:51 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:45:08 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:45:58 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:54:39 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:55:08 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:55:33 PM

Feb 22, 2013 4:56:45 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:01:55 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:02:32 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:08:28 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Hall Basement" off

Feb 22, 2013 5:11:01 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:14:25 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:16:51 PM
  Received INSTEON                0C.9D.30 on (button 1)

Feb 22, 2013 5:19:13 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:20:30 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:28:16 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:31:57 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:32:38 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:33:23 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Master Bath Linked Switch" on

Feb 22, 2013 5:34:20 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:35:47 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:36:40 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:38:59 PM
  Received INSTEON                0C.9D.30 off (button 1)

Feb 22, 2013 5:39:55 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Children's Bathroom" on

Feb 22, 2013 5:41:00 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Children's Bathroom" off
  Received INSTEON                "Children's Hall" off

Feb 22, 2013 5:42:46 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:44:00 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:45:04 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:45:54 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:47:28 PM

Feb 22, 2013 5:50:16 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Stairs Ground to Parlor" off

Feb 22, 2013 5:58:01 PM
  Schedule                        Outside Lights Start
  Action Group                    Outside Lights On
  Sent X10                        "Outside Back Basement" on
  Sent INSTEON                    "Outside Back Kitchen" on to 100
  Sent INSTEON                    "Outside Front" on to 100
  Sent INSTEON                    "Outside Study Lights" on to 50

Feb 22, 2013 6:00:07 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:03:18 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:05:27 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:09:40 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:12:16 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:16:36 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:20:25 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:21:51 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:26:45 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:28:09 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Sprinklers - Garden125" status changed: all valves off

Feb 22, 2013 6:29:23 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:32:54 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:34:05 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Master Bath Linked Switch" on

Feb 22, 2013 6:36:35 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:38:45 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:40:59 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:43:23 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:44:10 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:45:55 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:50:54 PM

Feb 22, 2013 6:58:09 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:00:07 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:01:05 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:02:13 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:04:03 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:05:18 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:10:33 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:11:58 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:14:27 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Hall Basement" on

Feb 22, 2013 7:14:45 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature changed to 71.0

Feb 22, 2013 7:17:15 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:23:20 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Master Bath Linked Switch" off
  Received INSTEON                "Study" on

Feb 22, 2013 7:27:53 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:28:40 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:30:17 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:33:03 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:34:28 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:35:52 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:36:36 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:37:38 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:38:15 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:40:13 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:43:23 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:46:47 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:47:25 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:49:56 PM

Feb 22, 2013 7:58:33 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:03:52 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:04:18 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:04:33 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:06:12 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:10:50 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:13:06 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:15:12 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:15:59 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:22:22 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:23:42 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:28:03 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:31:40 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:38:48 PM

Feb 22, 2013 8:58:31 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:01:31 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:03:32 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:07:14 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:08:08 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:12:25 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:13:25 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:17:50 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:20:01 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:21:52 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:22:13 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:23:23 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:24:22 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:30:23 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:38:23 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:39:34 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:40:12 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:47:48 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:53:01 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:56:43 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:58:12 PM

Feb 22, 2013 9:59:36 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:02:20 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:07:49 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:08:45 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:10:02 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:12:20 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:15:49 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:18:58 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:24:53 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:32:27 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:32:51 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:34:25 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:39:51 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:40:45 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:41:37 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:46:16 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:47:01 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:47:32 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:48:07 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:50:53 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:53:23 PM

Feb 22, 2013 10:57:32 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:02:27 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:06:12 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:09:58 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:13:59 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:16:05 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:17:06 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:18:19 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:22:44 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:26:36 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:32:20 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" heat setpoint changed to 67.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity request (received: 26.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" setpoint request (received: heat 67.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity request (received: 26.0)
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" cool setpoint changed to 84.0

Feb 22, 2013 11:33:43 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:34:55 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" heat setpoint changed to 56.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" cool setpoint changed to 80.0

Feb 22, 2013 11:35:34 PM
  Action Group                    new action group
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" raw insteon command (2E 00   01 07 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00; ack: 00)
  Script                          ackValue : 0
address : 20.44.78
cmdBytes : [46, 0, 1, 7, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
cmdFunc : raw insteon command
cmdSuccess : True
replyBytes : []

Feb 22, 2013 11:35:50 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" set heat setpoint to 71.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" heat setpoint changed to 71.0

Feb 22, 2013 11:36:28 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:38:26 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:41:31 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:43:26 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:44:13 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:44:43 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:45:41 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:47:37 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:48:25 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:49:25 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:50:07 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:50:30 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:50:45 PM

Feb 22, 2013 11:54:31 PM
  Created new log file (Indigo Server version 6.0.0 b5)
  Schedule                        Nightly Confirm
  Email Sent                      to "pgershon@me.com"; subject "Indigo is running @125"

Feb 23, 2013 12:01:11 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:01:44 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:02:36 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:03:04 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:05:00 AM
  Schedule                        Outside Lights Stop
  Action Group                    Outside Lights Off Back
  Sent X10                        "Outside Back Basement" off
  Sent INSTEON                    "Outside Back Kitchen" off
  Sent INSTEON                    "Outside Study Lights" off

Feb 23, 2013 12:12:44 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:13:18 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:21:55 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:26:36 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:26:52 AM
  Received INSTEON                "Kitchen Lights" off
  Received INSTEON                "Dining Room Overhead" off (instant)
  Received INSTEON                "Dining Room 1" off

Feb 23, 2013 12:28:09 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:28:26 AM
  Received INSTEON                "Living Room Track" off
  Received X10                    A8 off

Feb 23, 2013 12:30:38 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:31:33 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:32:42 AM
  Received INSTEON                "Closet Hall" off

Feb 23, 2013 12:33:31 AM
  Received INSTEON                "Parlor Entry" off (button 1)

Feb 23, 2013 12:33:54 AM
  Received INSTEON                "Living Room 2" off

Feb 23, 2013 12:34:18 AM
  Received INSTEON                "Study Linked Switch" off
  Received INSTEON                "Stairs Parlor to Master Slave" off

Feb 23, 2013 12:34:48 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:35:25 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:36:50 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:38:16 AM
  Received INSTEON                "Closet Hall" on

Feb 23, 2013 12:39:24 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:39:50 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:49:48 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:50:18 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:54:20 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:56:30 AM

Feb 23, 2013 12:59:59 AM
  Schedule                        Rest Bathroom Fan
  Sent INSTEON                    "Bathroom Fans Upstairs" off

Feb 23, 2013 1:06:48 AM

Feb 23, 2013 1:08:28 AM

Feb 23, 2013 1:12:02 AM

Feb 23, 2013 1:14:46 AM

Feb 23, 2013 1:15:36 AM
  Received INSTEON                "Marshall's Room" start brighten
  Received INSTEON                "Marshall's Room" stop brighten
  Sent INSTEON                    "Marshall's Room" status request (received: 29)

Feb 23, 2013 1:20:07 AM

Feb 23, 2013 1:23:23 AM

Feb 23, 2013 1:27:16 AM

Feb 23, 2013 1:39:53 AM

Feb 23, 2013 1:43:07 AM

Feb 23, 2013 1:56:34 AM

Feb 23, 2013 1:58:47 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:06:28 AM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" cool setpoint changed to 81.0

Feb 23, 2013 2:07:55 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:09:10 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:10:00 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:14:26 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:17:04 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:18:16 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:18:41 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:20:11 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:29:35 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:30:56 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:35:12 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:45:34 AM

Feb 23, 2013 2:53:42 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:01:58 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:05:53 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:07:16 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:09:21 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:17:22 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:18:07 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:20:09 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:27:47 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:29:46 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:32:56 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:37:43 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:38:13 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:38:29 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:39:03 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:39:56 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:40:27 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:40:46 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:41:21 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:43:37 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:44:01 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:52:28 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:57:10 AM

Feb 23, 2013 3:58:14 AM

Feb 23, 2013 4:01:03 AM

Feb 23, 2013 4:01:26 AM

Feb 23, 2013 4:07:14 AM

Feb 23, 2013 4:07:35 AM

Feb 23, 2013 4:08:31 AM

Feb 23, 2013 4:12:32 AM

Feb 23, 2013 4:15:07 AM

Feb 23, 2013 4:16:17 AM

Only things that look odd in the log, to me, are the button 1 (for device 0C.9D.30 which I cant identify) and button 4 (for downstairs thermostat - maybe motor turing on/off) references that I don't understand, but they dont seem to correlate to the setpoint changes. Ignore the upstairs thermostat as that is a different device type. Times when energy mode kicked in are 11:32:20 PM, 11:35:50 PM (that was me manually pressing the button) and 2:06:28 AM
Looked at the log again and it seems that the energy mode kicks in after some (but not all) of my motor on events (button 2 on the 2441th, per the log). I found another thread on another board where another person has the same issue (http://forum.universal-devices.com/view ... c&start=15).

Still not sure what do do. I tried to set the change in setpoint from the energy button to zero, but it defaults to 1 degree. Better than 4 degrees I suppose. Here is the log:

Action Group                    new action group
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" raw insteon command (2E 00   01 07 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00; ack: 00)
  Script                          ackValue : 0
address : 20.44.78
cmdBytes : [46, 0, 1, 7, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
cmdFunc : raw insteon command
cmdSuccess : True
replyBytes : []

Posted on
Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:30 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Based on the other forum thread, this definitely sounds like a problem with the thermostat hardware or firmware. Steve Lee (from Smarthome said):

Steve Lee wrote:
We haven't been able to recreate this but there is theoretical evidence that it might be possible when the compressor kicks on and the power supply for the thermostat dips to a low voltage during the inrush of the compressor.

This would not happen in every case but only transformers less than 1 amp @ 24V. We are basically looking for installs that cause your lights to dim everytime your AC kicks on.

I wonder if the latter is what is occurring in your case. Based on your Event Log there is a Group 2 message right before the setpoints change (indicating energy mode kicked in). Group 2 is the operational state of the heat/furnace (not the compressor), but I wonder if the problem still has to do with the thermostat not getting enough power. If that is the case, then perhaps replacing the 24V AC transformer with a higher rated one (more amperage) would prevent the problem.

Posted on
Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:56 pm
pgershon offline

I will look into the transformer, but Smarthome just acknowledged the problem is a "known issue" and that they are working on it. Whatever that means.

Posted on
Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:50 pm
sjoing offline

This and other problems with the 2441TH are being discussed here:

http://www.forum.universal-devices.com/ ... =27&t=9783

I had trouble with both that I bought. I'm going to go with Venstar instead.

Posted on
Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:32 pm
pgershon offline

Thermostat has now switch on its own from heat mode to cool mode twice in last 24 hours. I had an entry in my log the first time. The second time it was noticed because the house was getting colder. No log entry about switching to cool mode, but thermostat was indeed in cool mode.

Posted on
Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:46 pm
thedon offline

Hate to be that guy but I have had rotten luck with Venstar, although it may be because I use multiple ones and not just one. You may have different luck with just one.

Posted on
Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:35 pm
pgershon offline

Actually my issue is with the Insteon 2441TH, not the Venstar (I have one of each, and Venstar works fine).

It seems that communication with my device is all messed up. It spontaneously went into cool mode from heat mode twice, only once showed with a log entry as mode changed. Now I looked to query the device status and I had communication issues. My other Insteon devices work fine so I have to assume problem is with unit. Doing another swap with Smarthome.

From log:

Mar 26, 2013 11:29:05 PM
  Error                           "Thermostat - Downstairs" mode request; send failed (no acknowledgment)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature request (received: 69.0)
  Error                           "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity request; send failed (no acknowledgment)
  Error                           "Thermostat - Downstairs" setpoint request; send failed (no acknowledgment)
  Error                           "Thermostat - Downstairs" mode request; send failed (no acknowledgment)
  Error                           "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature request; send failed (no acknowledgment)
  Error                           "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity request; send failed (no acknowledgment)
  Error                           "Thermostat - Downstairs" setpoint request; send failed (no acknowledgment)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature request (received: 69.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity request (received: 29.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity request (received: 29.0)

Mar 26, 2013 11:30:33 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 30.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity changed to 30.0
  Error                           "Thermostat - Downstairs" temperature request; send failed (no acknowledgment)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat - Downstairs" humidity request (received: 30.0)

Posted on
Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:58 pm
thedon offline

I was referring to the comment that you may swap it out for the venstar.

I have phantom decreases in temp. sometime random and sometimes you hit "down" once on cool target temp and it goes straight to 0. Almost ruined a AC of mine.
I almost feel like a thermostat evangelist against venstar ( I have 4)
Have ben using a $80 touch screen Z-Wave thermostat and it has been perfect!