Official Insteon/Venstar Thermostat How To Thread

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:44 am
JohnD offline

Continual Insteon commands received from Venstar V2

I recently got the replacement Venstar module from SmartHome and installed it. It seemed to go fine for a couple of weeks, but recently I started getting continual receipt of commands that I'm not sending. Anyone else seeing this? I haven't reset anything yet, to see if there's any testing that I should do first.

This goes on literally forever, every few seconds.

Received INSTEON "Thermostat" mode changed to auto on; fan always on

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:26 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Official Insteon/Venstar Thermostat How To Thread

If you unplug it, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in does it stop or pick back up?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:32 pm
JohnD offline

The Venstar stopped sending that stuff after I unplugged/replugged, but the 2414U was apparently freaked out from the whole episode: I had to power-cycle it to get it to talk to Indigo again.

I was able to recreate the problem, though. It seems to be triggered by me changing the Fan On/Fan Auto setting. As soon as I change the fan mode to one or the other, the problem starts.

In the log extract below, I changed some temperature settings at 9:15pm and all was well. At 9:19pm, I changed the fan mode to Auto On, and then back to Always On. The log then showed something sending the same status over and over again. It only stopped when I unplugged the thermostat Insteon adapter.

I replugged the thermostat adapter and changed the temp a little and all was well. As soon as I changed the fan mode to Auto On, however, the spurious signals started up again and continued until I once again unplugged the adapter.

I tested this scenario using the iPhone app as well as the normal Indigo 5 app, and changing the fan setting did the same thing each time, so it seems to be independent of the client type, FWIW.

I can easily avoid this by just not changing the fan setting (it's not something that I usually do, in fact it was just by accident that I did it in the first place), but thought I'd post this in case it's a widespread Venstar adapter bug that others may see, or (as unlikely as it may be) a bug in Indigo. If no one else is seeing this, then maybe I just got a faulty replacement Venstar adapter from SmartHome's trade-in program.

Code: Select all
Jan 9, 2012 9:15:21 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat" set cool setpoint to 76.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat" set heat setpoint to 71.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" cool setpoint changed to 76.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" heat setpoint changed to 71.0

Jan 9, 2012 9:19:40 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat" turn fan auto on
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" mode changed to auto on; fan auto on
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" mode changed to auto on; fan auto on
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat" turn fan always on
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" on (button 3)
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" mode changed to auto on; fan always on
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" mode changed to auto on; fan always on
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" temperature changed to 69.0

Jan 9, 2012 9:22:06 PM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat" set cool setpoint to 75.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat" set heat setpoint to 70.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" cool setpoint changed to 75.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" heat setpoint changed to 70.0

Jan 9, 2012 9:22:59 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" temperature changed to 70.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat" turn fan auto on

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:46 pm
JohnD offline

Quick follow-up: changing the "Off/Cool/Heat/Auto" setting does not trigger the same issue; the trigger seems to be limited to the fan setting.

Also, I have the humidity chip in my thermostat.

John

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:38 pm
bbruck offline

Humidity Module

Slightly different subject...

I have a Venstar 1800 w/ humidity module. Is this a read-only module, or is there any way to send a request to the humidifier attached to my furnace?

(I ask because the humidifier is not coming on, and I want to be sure that it couldn't be anything related to the Venstar before paying enormous amounts of money for a service tech to come look at it. Sigh.)

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:10 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The humidity module only reads/reports current humidity at the thermostat as far as I know.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:35 pm
JohnD offline

The humidity module does indeed enable the Venstar thermostat to control a humidifier unit on the main furnace: I have mine set up that way. You just need to ensure that you have enough wires running from the thermostat location down to your HVAC unit (or be willing to pull new ones if you don't have enough).

The humidity parameters and settings are all controlled at the thermostat by going through the thermostat's menus: it's not something that can be controlled via Insteon/Indigo, unfortunately.

John

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:10 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Cool - I stand corrected. Control is not exposed via the INSTEON adaptor unfortunately.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:30 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi John,

We had one other customer that was able to get the adapter into the same bad state, using the same basic steps you mentioned. However, we cannot reproduce the problem and SmartLabs, I don't believe, hasn't been able to reproduce it.

Do you have more than one adapter?

Can you get it to consistently happen? If so, I think SmartLabs will want to get in touch with you.

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:59 pm
JohnD offline

I don't have more than one adapter, unfortunately, but so far the issue has been reliably reproducible in my environment. Do you have a contact at SmartLabs that is on this issue that I should touch base with, or should I just contact them via the normal support route?

Thanks,
John

support wrote:
Hi John,

We had one other customer that was able to get the adapter into the same bad state, using the same basic steps you mentioned. However, we cannot reproduce the problem and SmartLabs, I don't believe, hasn't been able to reproduce it.

Do you have more than one adapter?

Can you get it to consistently happen? If so, I think SmartLabs will want to get in touch with you.

Posted on
Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:21 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Send me an email (indigo-support AT perceptiveautomation.com) and I'll forward your info to them (and 'CC you).

Posted on
Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:10 pm
JohnD offline

Since I'll be talking to SmartLabs, can anyone tell me if this kind of "spammy" stuff in my log is normal with the new Venstar adapter? It seems like every time the temp changes it sends a couple of messages, plus an on/off for "Button 2" whenever the heater kicks on.

If that's normal, then maybe a new checkbox on the thermostat setting in Indigo might be useful, something like "Suppress Status Logging"?

Thanks,
John

Code: Select all
Jan 11, 2012 8:18:05 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" off (button 2)

Jan 11, 2012 8:18:20 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" temperature changed to 73.0

Jan 11, 2012 8:25:28 PM

Jan 11, 2012 8:32:41 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" temperature changed to 72.0

Jan 11, 2012 8:43:15 PM

Jan 11, 2012 8:43:38 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat" on (button 2)

Jan 11, 2012 8:44:55 PM

Jan 11, 2012 8:45:53 PM

Jan 11, 2012 8:57:36 PM

Jan 11, 2012 8:58:16 PM

Jan 11, 2012 9:08:10 PM

Jan 11, 2012 9:17:24 PM

Jan 11, 2012 9:19:16 PM

Jan 11, 2012 9:27:05 PM

Jan 11, 2012 9:28:07 PM

Jan 11, 2012 9:37:54 PM

Jan 11, 2012 9:39:11 PM

Jan 11, 2012 9:48:13 PM

Jan 11, 2012 9:49:02 PM

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:27 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The double (duplicated) commands is a bit odd. It should just show once. That said, INSTEON modules do repeat commands and Indigo uses a time window in which it considers commands duplicates. In this case perhaps the duplicates come in just a bit outside of that window.

Can you try moving your AccessPoint RFs around to 2 or 3 different outlets to see if that makes any difference? That will change the signal path and might reduce the repeating. It is unlikely, but I also wonder if that will prevent the lockup problem you are seeing with the thermostat adapter. It is worth trying.

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:01 am
srogala offline

Re:

madscientist wrote:
As a follow-up to my post, here is a wiring diagram for connecting a Venstar thermostat to a dual transformer system:

Hi,

I hate to wake up such an old part of the thread, but it appears this image is no longer available and is just what I need. I've got a dual transformer system and my T1800 of course only has the R wire. I've been trying to figure out how accommodate everything I need and it sounds like this wiring diagram (and parts of the discussion that preceded it) would help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on
Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:15 pm
hamw offline

One of my thermostat's heat icon has started to get stuck in the red "On" position, whether in the overlay screen or on a control page, regardless of the actual state of the unit. I factory-reset and resync'd the unit a couple of weeks ago which fixed it. This time I just re-sync'd and the overlay and Indigo device icons are correct, but the control page icons are still stuck on. It's a bit concerning that it is beginning to get buggy. Ideas?

Page 17 of 23 1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23