Replacing a 3-way switch pair within a mixed-protocol env

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:24 pm
sarahcat offline

Replacing a 3-way switch pair within a mixed-protocol env

Mixed protocol = Insteon/Z-Wave/Wifi

Since Insteon does not offer a 3-way wall switch, I would like a recommendation for upgrading a hardwired 3-way switch pair with an Indigo supported protocol and device. I know of the work around using one 'smart' switch and a single wall controller, but I'd prefer not to go that way.

Is there a Z-wave 3-way switch or has anyone satisfactorily used a KASA, Lutron or another other Indigo supported wifi paired 3-way set of switches to preserve the 3-way functionality?

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:15 am
whmoorejr offline

Re: Replacing a 3-way switch pair within a mixed-protocol en

I'm partial to Zooz z-wave devices. Here is an article on how to wire in their zwave devices in a 3-way configuration keeping existing wiring:
https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/72-3-way-diagrams-for-zen71-zen21-zen72-zen22-zen23-and-zen24-switches/

Or you can go the virtual route with a scene controller that looks like a switch
https://www.amazon.com/Network-Control-Controller-ZEN34-Required/dp/B08TMWLY74

For the route you are speaking of... two smart switches.... that's what I did. One switch is the primary switch where the load goes to the device. For any other switch, the load is capped off. To keep it straight, one is "Living Room Light" The other is "Living Room Light 2nd Switch" with a note "Load capped off". From there, I use a couple triggers. Also, for my 2nd switches, I have "Remote Display" un-checked. <- not required, just like to keep it cleaner.

Living Room Light on/off Changes -> match on state of Living Room Light to Living Room Light 2nd Switch
Living Room Light 2nd Switch on/off Changes -> match on state of Living Room Light 2nd Switch to Living Room Light

I'm doing that in a couple places, mostly where there was no 3 way capability before. This doesn't have to be Zooz or even zwave. You can use indigo to make any switch into a 3-way.

Another option that is either Insteon or Z-wave, is throwing a multi-switch into the mix. For Insteon, they have a 6 and 8 button keypad that can be programmed to be a 3-way for multiple other smart switches. Zooz has a 5 button switch that has uses the scene control route to control up to 30 something screens (5 buttons x single tap, double tap, triple tap, etc.).

Example, in my master bedroom where there was two switches (Light + Fan). I replaced the Light with an Insteon 6 button to control Light and Fan. The Fan Switch was repaced with the 8 button KPL (Key Pad Link) that acts as a 3-way switch for all the main rooms that get left on at night or that I use when I wander... Living Room, Kitchen, etc. One of the buttons runs a script that sends me an email with a status of my house.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:17 pm
sarahcat offline

Thanks for the response. I use an 8-button controller for a virtual 3-way. It’s very handy where there is no existing electrical wiring, but it does require charging every few months. I may go the two smart switch approach, as well. I have four existing 3-way switch pairs, so buying eight switches is a bit costly, so I was looking at the KASA 3-way:

Limited-time deal: Kasa Smart 3 Way Switch HS210 KIT, Needs Neutral Wire, 2.4GHz Wi-Fi Light Switch works with Alexa and Google Home, UL Certified, No Hub Required, 2 Count (Pack of 1) https://a.co/d/gj4kCBN

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:09 pm
sarahcat offline

I received two KASA TP-Link 3-way switch sets, today. I was considering setting them up, but the TP-Link protocol dropdown only has the option for a smart plug device type. I assume that the devices I purchased are not supported in Indigo :cry:

By the way, I checked on the Zooz device at the link you indicated. The diagrams on the Zooz site offer more ambiguity than information, since there is no actual schematic for the 3-way application, but I ordered two of the Zooz Zen76 devices and hopefully there are specifications on the terminals of the devices.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Page 1 of 1