Power Line Noise?

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:39 am
dwfa offline

Power Line Noise?

Hi,

I, like a number of people, am having issues with devices not responding to commands after years of working. So I have been reading the various posts and it seems it comes down to one of two things
1. The devices (all for controlling lights) or the PLM (2413I) is failing
2. There is noise on the power line

I am going to assume my devices are working as I have the Insteon hub and use Alexa to control the devices with no issues; this my working assumption, but I could be wrong. This leaves a failing PLM or I have introduced noise somehow for the last 4 years. My vote is the noise.

I have read the Power Line Signal page, plus numerous other articles. I am not concerned the following:
1. use of LED lights
2. introduction of a hot tub (I want to add in the future)
3. introduction of a swimming pool (I want to add in the future)

Throughout my house, I have replaced most of my lights with LED lights. Was that a mistake? What can I do to mitigate this noise? Add more devices? Add filters? Where do I add them? How do I determine where to add them?

If I add a hot tub/swimming pool, how do I add filters to those circuits? They are 60A (2 x 30amp) side panels.

Most of my UPS have filters, http://www.smarthome.com/act-af120-15-amp-plug-in-noise-filter.html, on them. Not sure I can use those.

I was hoping for some ideas on how to proceed. I don't want to give up using my HA ...

---
Cheers!
dwfa

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:34 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Power Line Noise?

LEDs could be the problem, but note that it's not all (or even most) LEDs, just sporadic brands. If you're having consistent, repeatable failures then you can just start troubleshooting but turning off a whole circuit. If things improve, then something on that circuit is causing some noise. Likewise, you can use a long outdoor extension cord from outlets in other rooms to your PowerLinc - that might help isolate what circuits may have noise.

Did you problem start anytime around when you added the Hub? Note that the Hub and a PowerLinc don't play well together, mostly in subtle ways. But if your hub happens to be generating traffic at the same time the PowerLinc is (either directly or indirectly) you may be seeing signal collisions, which Insteon can't cope with very well. I personally would disconnect the hub first to see if that makes any difference then go from there. The Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin will allow you to control Indigo devices via Alexa so if that's the only reason you're using the hub you can probably just leave it off.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:50 pm
dwfa offline

Thanks for the input. I do not recall when this started happening; however, I have had the hub for about 1 year. The Hub happens to be on a dedicated circuit (luck of the draw), not sure it make a difference. I will also look into the plug-in you described.

Posted on
Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:34 pm
dwfa offline

Okay - so I unhooked/plugged my Insteon hub and I now cannot control two of my light switches. The problem I have is if I switch the circuit off for my LED lights, then I won't be able to control them :roll: I have tried using an extension cord with no change in behaviour (unable to control the devices). Would it be safe to say the Insteon hub is not my problem ...

Posted on
Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:23 am
dwfa offline

I have done some additional testing and found out that if I have the ApplianceLinc (2456S3) in the same socket as the PLM (2413U) the PLM still has issues connection to the ApplianceLinc :cry: . The ApplilanceLinc is in the bottom socket and the PLM is plugged into the top socket, via a heavy duty extension cord. With this new piece of information would it be fair to say there is an issue with either the ApplianceLinc or the PLM?

-----
dwfa

Posted on
Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:34 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If the only device having an issue is the ApplianceLinc then it seems likely that's the problem...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:04 pm
dwfa offline

I still have problems with other devices; it seems the PLM cannot communicate with my I/O Linc devices for the garage. In addition, I found I had a spare ApplianceLinc and swapped out the troublesome one, and no issues with the spare one. Just because I am curious, I plugged the troublesome ApplianceLinc into a new outlet and now the PLM can communicate with it, no issues. Ahhhh - what am I missing? :(

Posted on
Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I think you have some sporadic signal noise that's causing intermittent failures. This could be things that are only plugged in periodically or things that only run sometimes. Finding correlations between issue events can be frustrating with Insteon but that's the only real way to figure out what's happening.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:33 pm
dwfa offline

Okay, so I tried out the Alexa-Hue Bridge and it works great for lights - thx a bunch. What can I do to control my thermostat (Venstar with Insteon RF adapter) via Alexa :-) ....

Posted on
Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:00 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You can kinda hack it, but since the Hue system doesn't support thermostats the plugin can't support them natively either (it pretends to be a Hue hub).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1