Google Voice SMS Plugin

Posted on
Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:55 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Google Voice SMS Plugin for Indigo 5 (SIRI support added

I'd highly recommend reading the Overview doc to get a basic understanding of the major Indigo components.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:20 am
jtm997 offline

Thanks Dewster35 that is helpful.

Can ou have more than one SMS device? example, my wife and my phone? do they both need Google Voice numbers?

Posted on
Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:47 pm
Dewster35 offline

I have it setup as follows.

Our house has a google voice number that is strictly used for this plug-in. I'm sure you can use it for other things, but I'm not a big google fan in general, so this is all I use it for. You do not need to setup the house google voice number as a device.

Me and my wife both have cell phone numbers on AT&T and have unlimited texting, so we have messages sent to those devices and have each both of our phones setup as devices within indigo. Again, I suppose you could setup a google voice number to communicate to your personal phone to cut down on text messages, but that doesn't matter for us.

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:23 pm
dduff617 offline

high cpu utilization

i noticed that my server was experiencing higher than normal CPU utilization. i looked at the list of processes and noticed a process named "Indigo Plugin Host" was eating about 30-35% cpu.

looked around for obvious signs of something running or something wrong. since i had just installed a few plugins yesterday, i started going through and turning them off. no change until i disabled the last one, "Google Voice SMS" (last because it seemed least likely to be the cause of the problem). disabling caused cpu usage to return to normal (the process "Indigo Plugin Host" went away completely in fact). re-enabling caused the process to return at a steady 30-35% again.

am i doing something wrong? otherwise, why should "idle" cpu usage of a plugin like this be so high?

thanks.

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:57 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I pointed this out to Chris a couple of months ago but I don't know that he's looked much into it. I think the library he's using in combination with the frequency of the polling is causing it but I'm not positive.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:50 am
Dewster35 offline

I'm running about 30 degrees hotter on average with close to 40% more CPU usage with this plugin running versus not...my poor Mac Mini :-(

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:09 am
terrydew offline

Couldn't the new Messages app currently out in beta be used for a SMS function for indigo?

Posted on
Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:32 am
Dewster35 offline

Any chance someone can pick this plugin up and make the necessary changes to not be so CPU intensive to run?

Posted on
Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:22 pm
richy240 offline

I noticed this plugin logging in every couple hours, and it always fails the first time. I guess the session times out, and it has to log back in. No problem, except it fails to log into GV, then it tries again and normally succeeds. This fills my logs with errors, and on more than one occasion the logon failure it has kept a message from being sent.

I have also noticed my CPU usage drop since I have disabled this plugin, but it was never higher than 12% to begin with.

Posted on
Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:12 am
Dewster35 offline

I am now all of a sudden seeing a lot of errors logging into this plugin as well. Also, sending text commands to the google voice account no longer functions.

The following is the message I'm receiving in the event log:

Google Voice SMS Unable to login. Please verify your e-mail/password in the plugin preferences
Google Voice SMS Error plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)
Google Voice SMS Logging in to your Google Voice account.

Posted on
Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:09 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Can someone please outline the setup here to make this all work properly. That is the relationships between:

- The google voice account and the phone number of the devices being created in Indigo
- The SMS number receiving the request on behalf of Indigo and the phone number of the texter , and the device defined in Indigo
- Why doesn't GV appear to accept my SMS messages at all ?
- What forwarding is required in GV to make this work?

I've successfully connected to the GV account and I can send SMS's based on triggered events. I cannot figure out how to receive messages. When I reply to a SMS from my GV account, no devices in Indigo are updated with a "receivedText =" value

UPDATE:

I finally learned that receivedText is equal to the last outgoing text accepted from this device. That is, if I text "Hello" from Ryan's iPhone to IndigoSMS, when IndigoSMS accepts the message as authorized, the receivedText of Ryan's iPhone becomes "Hello"

Strangely, Google Voice will not accept a text from my AT&T iPhone. But other phones or Google Voice accounts can send SMS and it's accepted.

Posted on
Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:36 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Has anyone gotten variable substitution to work with an outgoing SMS from this plugin?

I receive the literal txt from my trigger. I've checked the variable id multiple times:

Code: Select all
Ryan, there is a new Weather Advisory: %%v:78328085%%

Posted on
Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:24 pm
MountainEars offline

Would it be possible to leverage iMessage for this instead of using GoogleVoice? IMessage does not use the text services and can work on macs with MountainLion and newer iPhone and iPads. Setup an account on your Mac with indigo on it and then use your mobile devices to send to it.

Posted on
Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:31 pm
Dewster35 offline

A better solution would be to use notifications sent to Indigo touch. The more steps between indigo and you receiving the message the more complexity in setup and the more likelihood of failure. You would lose the control with text... but in real life use, it's not shown to be very practical... even with having Siri do it. Although it is a neat party trick.

Patiently waiting for version 2.0 :)

Posted on
Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:32 am
rlust offline

Trying to get this working.

When I start the plugin i get the following log

startup called
Google Voice SMS Debug Starting device: SMS Randy Cellt
Google Voice SMS Debug Starting concurrent tread
Google Voice SMS Logging in to your Google Voice account.
Google Voice SMS Successfully logged in to:***@gmail.com

When I send a trigger from my iphone to the GV number I have configuredI get the following result

Time: 4:16 PM From: +1740xxxxxxx: MSG: Office toggle *unauthorized*

I think I am missing a config option here that authorized number

Thanks for any guidance!!

Page 6 of 21 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21