Google Voice SMS Plugin

Posted on
Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:04 am
Dewster35 offline

Re: Google Voice SMS Plugin for Indigo 5 (SIRI support added

Ben,
I think it depends on what people are using the plug in for. I think if people are only using the plugins for notifications, other than security of course, that increasing the polling interval is fine up to a point of maybe a minute or even longer.

If people are using siri to text their house commands to do things, then the polling interval makes sense to be shorter so you have a shorter lag between commands.

That's why I was thinking controlling this variable within the device would make sense... you could schedule the polling, say maybe every 30 minutes at night if you're not using it for security, vs. every 10 seconds during the day when you may be controlling with text commands.

I realize that this adds a lot more to the complexity of this "quick fix" :)

Posted on
Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:46 pm
DPattee offline

I'm using the GV SMS plugin purely to send messages from Indigo to my phone, so a longer polling interval would be just fine with me. Now that I realize plugins are just python bundled up, and I see where your timeout is and I'll probably up my copy's timer to 5 minutes (rather than completely stopping the 'reader' part, just in case I do decide to start using it in conjunction with siri's voice-to-text feature)

(If I need to do something 'right now' then I do it through the Indigo app on my iPhone)

Posted on
Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:05 pm
dshj offline

Is there a simple way I can add the date and time to my outgoing SMS with this plugin?

Previously, I did the following:

Code: Select all
set tdesc to "Door Open @ "
send email to "[address]@txt.voice.google.com" with body ({tdesc, current date} as string)

Thoughts?

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:38 pm
dshj offline

Ok. I think I can get around this by setting a variable to the current date, but I'm not getting the variable substitution to work. I've listed the %%v:VARID%% in the text field for the SMS, but I get just that on the actual text of the SMS. Maybe I'm totally confused with Indigo 6?

Any help would be appreciated!

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Plugins have to specifically implement the substitution - not sure if this one supports it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:37 am
Dewster35 offline

Just a heads up for anyone interested. Thanks to Ben (modified polling time to decrease CPU usage) and Travis (variable substitution in outgoing SMS messages) I've submitted a modified version of this plugin to be available for all in the user contribution library.

It is not up yet, but I'm sure it will be up sometime soon.

Posted on
Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It's been updated in the File Library. Download, unzip, and double-click the plugin file and Indigo will do the rest.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:46 am
Dewster35 offline

Curious if anyone else is seeing some connection issues? I have a schedule to reload the plugin every 4 hours... however, on a few occasions it's lost it's connection and upon reload, all of the messages get received (if I am controlling with SMS) all at once. Obviously, this causes some big issues if you say, open the garage door and say it randomly closes on you leaving you locked out of the house when it is 10 degrees outside. Not saying this has happened yet, but luckily I was able to sprint back and stick my foot into the safety beam and have it get back up.

I am going to try reloading every hour now instead and see if that makes any kind of difference. Just wasn't sure if it was something with the new beta, the way google is handling signing in or what.

Posted on
Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:09 pm
eme jota ce offline

It might not be the plugin. GV has a policy that imposes limit to the number of messages you can send. If messages stop sending, try logging into your GV account to look for a message about the SMS limit.

Like many here, i have a dedicated GV account for Indigo. That account was getting the SMS limit at just 10 messages in a day. Searches in GV help pages just showed the limit to be vague, without a specific number.

In my case, the low number seemed to be related to the fact that Indigo was only sending me messages, not receiving any. By sending a text back to Indigo from time to time, the SMS limit proble has been avoided.

Posted on
Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:44 am
Dewster35 offline

eme jota ce wrote:
It might not be the plugin. GV has a policy that imposes limit to the number of messages you can send. If messages stop sending, try logging into your GV account to look for a message about the SMS limit.

Like many here, i have a dedicated GV account for Indigo. That account was getting the SMS limit at just 10 messages in a day. Searches in GV help pages just showed the limit to be vague, without a specific number.

In my case, the low number seemed to be related to the fact that Indigo was only sending me messages, not receiving any. By sending a text back to Indigo from time to time, the SMS limit proble has been avoided.

Thanks for the tip. I've actually never logged into the web google voice account since originally I set it up!

This doesn't seem to be the problem however. I've gotten upwards of a hundred messages within a day while I'm doing testing for certain notifications. Not sure if it makes a difference that I also send them to my wife and I occasionally use it for sending messages TO the account for control.

I've changed the reload time to an hour and I haven't had any issues since... although I may back that off a bit to see if I run into any issues.

Posted on
Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:58 pm
jlambert121 offline

The first page mentions a version 1.1.2, but the download page (http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/fil ... php?id=158) still has 1.1.1. Is there an updated link for 1.1.2?

Posted on
Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:15 am
Dewster35 offline

No update. This is a plugin that has been adopted by the community. 1.1.1 is the most recent update available.

Posted on
Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:58 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Doh...was having a lot of fun with this plugin till I realized my current plan is pay per use
for text messages.

I did find it useful to populate a variable with the incoming text and run this script
on it: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8201&hilit=voice+control

it allows for much more variation in what you can say, as it picks out just the keywords
needed to execute things.

Carl

Posted on
Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:48 pm
Dewster35 offline

Thanks for posting Carl! This will be fun to look into.

I think someone had gotten something going through imessage, although I don't know how robust it is.

Posted on
Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:09 am
bschollnick2 offline

jlambert121 wrote:
The first page mentions a version 1.1.2, but the download page (http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/fil ... php?id=158) still has 1.1.1. Is there an updated link for 1.1.2?

Unofficially, I have released a patched version, which is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/241 ... S-bas2.zip

A couple of users asked me to look into taking over the code, This version should dramatically reduce the CPU load...
But I haven't had a chance to make any significant updates to the plugin.

- Ben

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Page 8 of 21 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21