Google Voice SMS Plugin

Posted on
Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:39 am
Dewster35 offline

Re: Google Voice SMS Plugin for Indigo 5 (SIRI support added

bschollnick2 wrote:
jlambert121 wrote:
The first page mentions a version 1.1.2, but the download page (http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/fil ... php?id=158) still has 1.1.1. Is there an updated link for 1.1.2?

Unofficially, I have released a patched version, which is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/241 ... S-bas2.zip

A couple of users asked me to look into taking over the code, This version should dramatically reduce the CPU load...
But I haven't had a chance to make any significant updates to the plugin.

- Ben

FWIW, 1.1.1 (the version currently available for plugin download on this website) is Ben's version with the variable substitution in sent messages added in.

Posted on
Wed May 01, 2013 9:26 am
kbarto323 offline

I have Google 2 factor authentication enabled and cannot get the plugin to work unless I disable 2 factor and use my main Google account username and password. Any chance for an update to support this? I don't write code but would be happy to donate to support the project and found this thread regarding scripting to Google Authenticator:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1025 ... ell-script

Posted on
Mon May 06, 2013 1:39 pm
HA1 offline

Just seeing this now - installed in 10 minutes and I'm up and running! Great job!

Posted on
Sun May 26, 2013 7:05 pm
crofford offline

v

Posted on
Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:08 pm
jashaffner offline

Installed earlier this week. Works fine until today. Log shows, "Unable to send message". That's it. How can I troubleshoot with that not so useful error message. Hah. I did no change to my google account or anything. :/

Thanks for help.

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:13 am
Dewster35 offline

jashaffner wrote:
Installed earlier this week. Works fine until today. Log shows, "Unable to send message". That's it. How can I troubleshoot with that not so useful error message. Hah. I did no change to my google account or anything. :/

Thanks for help.

Are you reloading the plugin occasionally with a scheduled script?

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:19 am
jashaffner offline

No..

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:51 am
Dewster35 offline

jashaffner wrote:
No..

I run this python script every hour. Some people have run it with a longer period of time between the reload, but I ran into a couple of occasions where I was still unable to send out messages. You could also just try a manual reload first to see if that is your issue.

Code: Select all
plugin = indigo.server.getPlugin("com.chrisandlynette.indigoplugin.googleVoiceSMS")
if plugin.isEnabled():
   plugin.restart()

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:19 am
eme jota ce offline

jashaffner wrote:

Thanks for help.

I'd try Dewster35's suggestion first, but will add that when this plugin sends a lot of outbound messages, I sometimes see an error as you describe despite reloading. The solution for me has been to send an inbound message from my phone to the Indigo GV SMS plugin. For example, I have a few triggers in Indigo that send me the status of the house, temp, alarm system, etc when the plugin receives an incoming message from my phone. Unofficially, it seems that if there are around 50 to 100 outbound messages in a day without any incoming messages, I see an error.

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:24 am
AlaskaDave offline

Does this plug-in work under Indigo Ver. 6? I've got it installed but my device indicates "error" under its state. When I send a text from Messages from my iphone to my google voice phone number I see nothing in my log and no texts messages showing up when logged into google voice.

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:40 am
Dewster35 offline

AlaskaDave wrote:
Does this plug-in work under Indigo Ver. 6? I've got it installed but my device indicates "error" under its state. When I send a text from Messages from my iphone to my google voice phone number I see nothing in my log and no texts messages showing up when logged into google voice.

I think part of why the instructions are so confusing is that he was using two google voice numbers… one on his phone and one for his house to cut down on SMS charges.

I think it is easier to just say google voice is for your house… so you need to have that google sign in information for your home's google voice number in the configuration of the plugin. I actually created a house email address and phone number through a new google account to keep things straight in my head.

Once you have that setup, you then setup an Indigo device for your personal mobile number. I've actually got one for my wife and one for myself.

A lot of people have been getting mixed up and creating a device for the google voice house number, which isn't correct.

For controlling, your trigger would look like the image below. Note that in the trigger, your controlling phrase needs to be all lower case. Any capitalized letters or punctuation are stripped out by the plugin.

For acknowledgement that the command was executed, I simply have the action of what I want to control and the action of sending an SMS from the house back to my mobile device. This isn't really a handshake... one could setup something more complex like a 5 second delay to verify that the state of what you are controlling actually changed and if it happened within that 5 second delay, send a message back for acknowledgement. If I were doing a lot of controlling in this manner, I would probably set it up, but I really only use it for the garage opening. Hope that helps!
Attachments
trigger.tiff
trigger.tiff (22.72 KiB) Viewed 4061 times

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:41 am
AlaskaDave offline

Dewster35,

I noticed you attached a .tif file. Can those be displayed in this forum? I see the attachment but no way to view.

Anywho... I deleted my previous device and set up a new one that has the phone number of my iPhone being used to send the message to my google talk account. I had been going back and forth between using my iPhone number and my Google Voice access number and that perhaps this was causing the error in the devices state. I have noticed that the device's state no longer indicates an error.

I'm wondering if there's something not configured correctly in Google Talk or if there's an issue using Messages for sending SMS perhaps? These texts using Messages on my iPhone do not seem to be getting to my Google talk in-box.

I've got 1.1.1A of the Google Voice SMS plug-in installed running in Indigo 6.0.1. I've been using the Growl plug-in for audio indication that someting needs attention but I'd like to switch over to using Messages if I can get this running.

Note: When I load/reload the plugin the event log indicates successfully logging into my Google Voice account.
Last edited by AlaskaDave on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:50 am
Dewster35 offline

AlaskaDave wrote:
Dewster35,

I noticed you attached a .tif file. Can those be displayed in this forum? I see the attachment but no way to view.

Anywho... I deleted my previous device and set up a new one that has the phone number of my iPhone being used to send the message to my google talk account. I had been going back and forth between using my iPhone number and my Google Voice access number and that perhaps this was causing the error in the devices state. I have noticed that the device's state no longer indicates an error.

I'm wondering if there's something not configured correctly in Google Talk or if there's an issue using Messages for sending SMS perhaps? These texts using Messages on my iPhone do not seem to be getting to my Google talk in-box.

I've got 1.1.1A of the Google Voice SMS plug-in installed running in Indigo 6.0.1. I've been using the Growl plug-in for audio indication that someting needs attention but I'd like to switch over to using Messages if I can get this running.

Dave,
Not sure on the TIF question... it shows up on my end in the forum post.

I guess the first place I would start is to go to www.google.com/voice and sign into your account there. Once signed in, you should be able to click on the left menu item of "texts" and you should see the text messages you've been sending to your house phone number.

Something you said above has me a bit confused... google voice access number, did you sign up for an actual phone number with area code for google voice under the account you're using?

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:02 am
AlaskaDave offline

Dewster35 wrote:
AlaskaDave wrote:
Dewster35,

I guess the first place I would start is to go to http://www.google.com/voice and sign into your account there. Once signed in, you should be able to click on the left menu item of "texts" and you should see the text messages you've been sending to your house phone number.

Something you said above has me a bit confused... google voice access number, did you sign up for an actual phone number with area code for google voice under the account you're using?

Ya, not texts showing up. I set up Google Voice so long ago that perhaps it needs adjustment. Under the left-side nav. that has inbox, Voicemails...etc it has my Access Number (406) 646-XXXX. This is the number I'm using to send messages to. Under settings/phones I see an option next to that number to "Get a Google Voice number". Do I need to choose another number? Under registered Phones I have my iPhone listed.

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:12 am
Dewster35 offline

AlaskaDave wrote:
Dewster35 wrote:
AlaskaDave wrote:
Dewster35,

I guess the first place I would start is to go to http://www.google.com/voice and sign into your account there. Once signed in, you should be able to click on the left menu item of "texts" and you should see the text messages you've been sending to your house phone number.

Ya, not texts showing up. I set up Google Voice so long ago that perhaps it needs adjustment. Under the left-side nav. that has inbox, Voicemails...etc it has my Access Number (406) 646-XXXX. This is the number I'm using to send messages to. Under settings/phones I see an option next to that number to "Get a Google Voice number". Do I need to choose another number? Under registered Phones I have my iPhone listed.

This is why I setup a special account for my house because it is so dang confusing! I would just create a new Gmail account just for this. Create a new google voice number. Then change your login credentials to the new account, send a few texts and then see if you get anything in the event log.

This is a simple trigger I setup to test if google voice is acting wonky... but this is what I see in the event log when I text the house thank you and it responds with you're welcome.

Google Voice SMS Time: 1:11 PM From: +MyMobile: MSG: Thank you *authorized*
Trigger Thank you - you're welcome - from Dave
Google Voice SMS Sending 'You're welcome' to MyMobile
Google Voice SMS Message sent successfully.

Page 9 of 21 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21