z-wave quick start guide help!

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2024 7:01 pm
dtich offline

z-wave quick start guide help!

hi guys.

i'm taking another run at integrating z-wave after a couple abortive attempts over the years. my system is dense and mainly insteon for radio/powerline control. i have shifted quite a lot to IP which i prefer where possible for key systems.

that said, i have had a couple irrigation controllers (ezflora/insteon) go down recently and am taking the step to try a Rachio controller for one set of zones.

the question is: what z-wave controller do people suggest as the most reliable? i believe the last one i tried was an aeotec 5, which i plan to simply dust off and try again, but i am interested in comments from users about anything that might do better.

also, any tricks of the trade to get a z-wave net up on its feet? seems very simple and straightforward -- that said, for some reason, i never got the exhaust fan in the downstairs apartment to be reliably connected over z-wave, and maybe an exterior outlet i was trying never responded, so i simply stopped.

my memory is that perhaps my issues were largely os driver related. i believe my server is now on ... os 12.x? will look when i get on local net, but... any pitfalls to simply plugging stick in, enabling socket and pairing the sprinkler controller??? what about placement and range issues? the aeotec will be in the office/server room and the rachio will be in the garage - about 60' as the crow flies, thru two drywall walls or so. ?

thanks all! and much appreciated.

Posted on
Fri May 03, 2024 9:55 pm
CraigM offline

Re: z-wave quick start guide help!

I'm using a Zooz 800 stick $26.95, which requires no driver and a USB extension.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27868

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/produc ... tick-zst39

Posted on
Sat May 04, 2024 1:23 am
dtich offline

Re: z-wave quick start guide help!

very reliable is it?

thanks for the tip craigm!

Page 1 of 1