Dome water shut off actuator

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:06 pm
sarahcat offline

Dome water shut off actuator

I have a Dome ZWave+ electromechanical activator that attaches externally to my existing quarter-turn ball valve. It installs without any actual plumbing. I expected it to be recognized by my ZStick Gen5 interface I’m using with Indigo. All I need is either an On-Off or Open-Close state and I will be able to use it with moisture sensors to shutoff the water.

With the Dome device in what appears to be linking mode, I don’t “see” it under ZWave devices, but since it’s not one of the standard dimmer, on-off, or other ZWave categories, it may not be accessible in Indigo. If that’s true, then it’s not, but I would appreciate any suggestions for getting it recognized as a ZWave device in Indigo.

Thanks!
Last edited by sarahcat on Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:48 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Done water shut off actuator

Did you actually go through the Inclusion process? It won't show up as an available Z-wave device until it's included to the controller.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:32 pm
Dual offline

Re: Done water shut off actuator

I have the same or a similar Dome ball valve actuator. Working well with INDIGO for a number of years. You should be successful with it. As mentioned above, did you go through the process to create a new Z Wave device and include it into your controller and system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:53 pm
sarahcat offline

Re: Dome water shut off actuator

Thanks. That is the problem. I tried to include the valve actuator, using Indigo’s ZWave utility, in the same way I included my ZWave door locks, but I cannot get the Dome device ‘seen’ in the inclusion process to include it.

I assume the Dome actuator needs to be in its inclusion mode, but I don’t seem to be able to coax it into inclusion mode. What did you physically do at the actuator to put it into inclusion mode.

Posted on
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:15 pm
Dual offline

From the documentation:

Inclusion

For proper inclusion, bring the Water Main Shut-Off to the final location where it will be used.

*** Upon inclusion, the motor will engage and start turning automatically. To avoid serious injury, keep your fingers and hands clear of the CONTROL ARM and its path, only gripping the unit firmly by either the MOUNTING BRACKET or the top of the MOTOR ASSEMBLY***

Follow the instructions for your Z-Wave controller to enter inclusion mode.

Make sure the device is powered on, and when prompted by your controller, press the “open/close” button quickly 3 times in a row. The LED will stop blinking and stay on continuously upon successful inclusion.

Posted on
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:18 pm
sarahcat offline

Thanks again. I did attempt that, but I think the actuator may be out of range of the controller when in its final location. I use a ZWave repeater to access my front door, but the ZStick+ inclusion instructions state that the inclusion process cannot be done through a repeater.

It’s odd that the Dome inclusion procedure contraindicates bringing the Dome actuator close to the ZStick controller for inclusion. I don’t know why Dome insists the actuator be in its “final location” for inclusion. Did you adhere to that requirement or did you have the Dome actuator close to your ZWave controller for inclusion?

Posted on
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:20 pm
Dual offline

My Z stick is located in my utility room. About 15 feet from the water valve. Therefore no issues for me. Perhaps try excluding before including.

Posted on
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:45 pm
sarahcat offline

Understood. The instructions mention “when prompted by your controller, pressing the open/close button quickly 3 times in a row” I am never prompted.

I cannot exclude the device since there is no apparent recognition that the device even exists.

My only option is to remove the actuator and move it closer to the ZStick controller, but that contradicts the instruction to have the actuator in its final location. The location of the actuator is only about 15 feet from the ZWave lock at my front door, so one would think there is enough range to access both.

My alarm system is ZWave+ and it has no range problems and it has ZWave repeaters.

This device is the only ZWave device that has been problematic. Most of my home automation is either WiFi or Insteon and transmission has never been a problem

Before I forget, thank you for participating in this dialogue!

Posted on
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Neither Indigo or your Z-Wave interface need to know about a device to exclude it. Just select exclude device from the Z-Wave menu and then perform whatever exclusion steps you need to on the device and it will exclude. Then you can include it using the appropriate steps.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:42 am
Dual offline

From the manual:

Exclusion

Follow the instructions for your Z-Wave certified Controller to enter exclusion mode.
When prompted, press the “open/close” button on the Shut-Off quickly 3 times in a row.
The LED Indicator will flash five times indicating exclusion/disconnection.

Further to what Jay said above, once your have put the controller into exclusion mode, try excluding the device before trying to include it.

Page 1 of 1