Z-Wave Reaching a Remote Building

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:20 am
HEGarrard offline

Z-Wave Reaching a Remote Building

Question: Is there an easy way to extend z-wave coverage to a "remote building".

I am in the process of setting up a z-wave network at a house we recently purchased - the property includes a detached building that is approximately 75 feet from the main house. The detached building is basically 100% metal - outside siding, inside walls and roof. I am trying to extend my z-wave network to the detached building; I tried to "include" a z-wave switch in the detached building without any luck (I assume the metal building is blocking the signal).

What I have ...
In the attached garage I have a ZOOZ UNIVERSAL RELAY for my garage door and a z-wave switch/repeater; these two devices are the closest z-wave device to the detached building (Approximately 50 - 75 feet).

Has anyone ever had this situation and found a solution (I assume the metal building is blocking the z-wave signal).

Thinking outside the box here ...
Is there any device that would convert/transmit z-wave signals over an ethernet network to another controller that would broadcast the signal?
Can I setup a secondary controller off my z-stick Primary controller that I could place in the detached building?

Thanks in advance!

Harold

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:55 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Z-Wave Reaching a Remote Building

A secondary controller would probably suffer the same range problem.

I haven't needed to do this myself, but one alternative would be to use a Hubitat hub. You connect it to IP and bridge to Indigo with the Hubitat Bridge plugin. You include the Z-Wave devices into the Hubitat and then create companion devices with the plugin. The Hubitat unit is about US$100.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:04 pm
HEGarrard offline

Re: Z-Wave Reaching a Remote Building

Thank you! I’ll have a look at this option!

Page 1 of 1