Trane XL624 Thermostat Users - Need Info Please

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:13 pm
CraigM offline

Trane XL624 Thermostat Users - Need Info Please

Can everyone who is using either the Trane XL624 or American Standard ACONT624 thermostat please report the following info about your unit(s).

Firmware version
Date Code (on label as DC####)
Have you ever updated the firmware manually via USB?
Does anyone have the latest .exe file, or know how to obtain it?

Thanks

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:00 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Trane XL624 Thermostat Users - Need Info Please

CraigM wrote:
Can everyone who is using either the Trane XL624 or American Standard ACONT624 thermostat please report the following info about your unit(s).

Firmware version
Date Code (on label as DC####)
Have you ever updated the firmware manually via USB?
Does anyone have the latest .exe file, or know how to obtain it?

Thanks

I have 2. One is Firmware 2.12 and the other is 2.31. I don't have the date codes, sorry. I've never updated the firmware on either of them.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:40 pm
CraigM offline

Thanks DaveL17

What about the rest of you? I know your'e out there :wink:

Posted on
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:59 am
hannt offline

I've got an American Standard that was purchased last year. Firmware 2.31. Have not updated the firmware.

Posted on
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:02 am
CraigM offline

hannt wrote:
I've got an American Standard that was purchased last year. Firmware 2.31. Have not updated the firmware.

Thanks, is it hooked-up to a heat pump by chance?

Posted on
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:39 am
hannt offline

Thanks, is it hooked-up to a heat pump by chance?

Yes. Actually a duel-fuel (heat pump / gas furnace). I purchased an American Standard instead of the less expensive Trane because that's what the HVAC company I use sells and my HVAC system is American Standard too. I don't (didn't) have any experience with wiring complicated HVAC systems like the one I have so I got them to install it for me. Paid a little (ok a lot) more for it, but it was worth it. Seems to work fine.

Posted on
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:59 am
sarahcat offline

I have the thermostat, but why are you asking? Also, I have no idea what ".exe" file you are referring to, particularly since I run MacOS, not Windows.

Posted on
Fri May 01, 2020 2:25 pm
CraigM offline

Trane XL624
American Std ACONT624

thermostats have been reported to default back to factory GAS & Std AC setting after they lose power. This is a huge issue if you have a HEAT PUMP because the setting would be all wrong for your equipment.

I’m reaching out to our community of users, so that we can document and diagnose the issue. Trane and AS refuse to help, and their dealers are clueless.

The questions that I have asked of you will help narrow down the pattern.

FIRMWARE VERSION: This may have been fixed in a FW release. The newest version anyone has documented is 2.31

If anyone with FW 2.31 and a HEAT PUMP is willing to test, please simulate a power outage for a lengthy amount of time (as the issue may only happen after x number of minutes/hours), and report back the results. If your settings stay on HEAT PUMP, then there is a good chance that FW 2.31 fixed the issue.

Here is a video on all the settings that get reset, and how to get your settings back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe7WuIHNmww

FIRMWARE FILE: The way I understand is the .exe file is loaded onto a thumb drive, connected to a USB cable, connected to the stat. Then through the stat menu there is probably an “update firmware” menu selection.

HEAT PUMP: Only the people with heat pumps will notice this re-setting, but it is happening to all units (debatable), you just wouldn’t notice if you have GAS & Std AC equipment because it is reset to the setting you want.
Last edited by CraigM on Sat May 02, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Fri May 01, 2020 2:26 pm
CraigM offline

sarahcat wrote:
I have the thermostat, but why are you asking? Also, I have no idea what ".exe" file you are referring to, particularly since I run MacOS, not Windows.

See the previous post

Posted on
Fri May 01, 2020 5:13 pm
sarahcat offline

CraigM wrote:
sarahcat wrote:

See the previous post
Actually, I was incorrect. I have an XL824 and to the best of my knowledge, its settings will survive a power outage. I’m surprised the 624 does not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri May 01, 2020 5:32 pm
hannt offline

CraigM wrote:
thermostats have been reported to default back to factory GAS & Std AC setting after they lose power. This is a huge issue if you have a HEAT PUMP because the setting would be all wrong for your equipment.

Wow, that's kinda scary! As I said earlier, I have the American Standard with Firmware 2.31 and I have a heat pump. I do loose the clock on a power reset, but I don't loose the heat pump setting (just did a quick check, but will perform a more in-depth check on the rest of the settings soon).

I found in these forums somewhere how to reset the clock with Indigo so I created a trigger on server power failure and used the following script for the action:

Code: Select all
theThermostat=indigo.devices[XXXXXXX] # "Thermostat"

indigodt = indigo.server.getTime()
byte1 = (indigodt.isoweekday() << 5) | indigodt.hour
byte2 = indigodt.minute
indigo.zwave.sendRaw(device=theThermostat, cmdBytes=[0x81, 0x04, byte1, byte2])
The unsolved problem is how to reset the date.

Posted on
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:20 pm
CraigM offline

hannt wrote:
Wow, that's kinda scary! As I said earlier, I have the American Standard with Firmware 2.31 and I have a heat pump. I do loose the clock on a power reset, but I don't loose the heat pump setting (just did a quick check, but will perform a more in-depth check on the rest of the settings soon).

Were you ever able to perform the in-depth HEAT PUMP test?

Posted on
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:42 am
hannt offline

Were you ever able to perform the in-depth HEAT PUMP test?

Yes, the thermostat seems to retain all of the settings except for the clock.

Page 1 of 1