Zwave Stick Won’t Mount

Posted on
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:33 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Zwave Stick Won’t Mount

Having had some hard drive issues with my 2012 Mac mini running Mojave I tried the migration assistant to a new 2012 mini.
The first issue I had with the new mini was my older Zwave stick not mounting. I tried installing the recommended driver but still no go.
After noticing a number of other issues I’d need to fix as well I decided to temporarily switch back to the old mac only to find the stick wouldn’t mount on that machine either.
Very strange since it was working before I migrated everything to the new one.

Really appreciate any ideas what to try to get it working.

Thanks,

Carl

Code: Select all
 RFXCOM Error                    "RFXCOM serial port" serial port open error: [Errno 2] could not open port /dev/cu.usbserial-A12HDS42: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/cu.usbserial-A12HDS42'
   RFXCOM Error                    make sure the USB virtual serial port driver (ex: FTDI driver) is installed and correct port is selected
   RFXCOM Error                    serial port could not be opened
Attachments
IMG_2517.jpeg
IMG_2517.jpeg (491.94 KiB) Viewed 677 times

Posted on
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:11 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Re: Zwave Stick Won’t Mount

Could someone suggest a Zwave stick/interface that works well with Indigo and Mojave?
I suppose it could be just a coincidence my stick died while making the changeover to the new machine.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:01 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I would first disconnect all other USB interfaces that are connected to your Mac to make sure that you are selecting the correct Z-Wave interface - you seem to have a bunch. Also, try connecting it directly to a port on your Mac if possible just to make sure that you are getting a good clean connection. You don't say which interface you have, so you may need to install the correct driver and version necessary for Mojave.

The Z-Wave interfaces that are listed on the supported interface list are the ones that we have personally tested and work correctly.

Note in your first post you copy/pasted RFXCOM failures from the log, not the Z-Wave failures...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:35 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks. I’ll try disconnecting the others but I know what they are.
I’m using an older Arotec Gen 2 stick.
I seem to remember when it was working the port was something like silabsUSB_ART?
Not seeing anything like that now. Curious what port it typically would be connected to?

Edit: I have installed the VCP driver recommended for Mojave.

Carl

Posted on
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

ckeyes888 wrote:
Thanks. I’ll try disconnecting the others but I know what they are.
I’m using an older Arotec Gen 2 stick.
I seem to remember when it was working the port was something like silabsUSB_ART?
Not seeing anything like that now. Curious what port it typically would be connected to?

Edit: I have installed the VCP driver recommended for Mojave.

Carl

And is it showing up correctly? The Z-Stick Gen 2 uses the Silicon Labs driver as described in the Z-Wave docs.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:56 pm
CraigM offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Could someone suggest a Zwave stick/interface that works well with Indigo and Mojave?

I'm using a Zooz 800 stick $26.95, which requires no driver, on a 2012 Mini and OS Mojave and a USB extension

https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27868

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/zooz-800-series-z-wave-long-range-usb-stick-zst39

Posted on
Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:31 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks CraigM, good to know.

Carl

Posted on
Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:32 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Jay, where to look to see if it’s installed correctly?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:10 am
ckeyes888 offline

CraigM wrote:
ckeyes888 wrote:

I'm using a Zooz 800 stick $26.95, which requires no driver, on a 2012 Mini and OS Mojave and a USB extension

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/zooz-800-series-z-wave-long-range-usb-stick-zst39

Got the Zooz 800 stick to mount but having no luck including/excluding any devices. Odd there aren’t any buttons on it to enter those modes. Tried using the “Start Inclusion mode” selection in Indigo but there’s no feedback that anything is happening and nothing seems to happen if I try to include or exclude.
Appreciate any info on how it’s supposed to work with Indigo.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:04 pm
CraigM offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
CraigM wrote:
ckeyes888 wrote:

Got the Zooz 800 stick to mount but having no luck including/excluding any devices. Odd there aren’t any buttons on it to enter those modes. Tried using the “Start Inclusion mode” selection in Indigo but there’s no feedback that anything is happening and nothing seems to happen if I try to include or exclude.
Appreciate any info on how it’s supposed to work with Indigo.

Thanks,

Carl

This is my first entry into Z-Wave and all my Zooz 800 devices were included by Indigo very smoothly. I don't know much about Z-Wave (still learning), but I believe you already had a Z-Wave network before on another stick. Could it be your devices needed to be excluded from the old stick first? Just guessing, I'm sure someone more experienced will know what the issue is.

Posted on
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Craig is correct. You need to exclude your devices before they can be included again. You’ll want to start with the ones that are physically closest to your interface and work your way out.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:38 am
CraigM offline

jay (support) wrote:
Craig is correct. You need to exclude your devices before they can be included again. You’ll want to start with the ones that are physically closest to your interface and work your way out.

Jay, just for my knowledge, what would be the procedure in this instance if the previous stick was dead/damaged and you couldn't access it to exclude?

Also, I have never heard of excluding starting from the closest to the farthest. Is this rule for excluding all devices (moving to a new stick) or anytime you exclude (same stick)?

Posted on
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:49 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You don’t need the original stick to exclude, any interface can start the exclusion process.

Whenever you are building or rebuilding a Z wave network, it’s always best to start with the closest devices to the interface and work your way out. That will ensure that you’ve got the best possible Z-Wave routes in your devices. You can run an optimization later if you like, but if you do it in that order, then you will likely avoid any range issues when trying to include devices.

The assumption here is that you’ll exclude and then include devices one or two at a time while rebuilding your network.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:55 am
dduff617 offline

in my experience, z-wave devices always include a reset procedure (aka "factory reset") and this always entails a (one-sided) exclusion process, meaning that the device forgets its connection to the controller.

so if the controller is not dead, you are better to initiate the exclusion on the controller so that both device and controller will erase the association.

for your specific question though... if controller is dead or corrupted or something, then you need to do the reset process on every affected device before those devices can be added to a replacement controller. or i think it is also possible that a replacement controller can force the device to exclude. either of these are going to require putting hands on the device (by design, since it would be major security issue otherwise).

Posted on
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:03 pm
DaveL17 offline

AFAIK, allowing any primary controller to initiate an exclude command with any Z-Wave device is a part of the Z-Wave specification. The way I think about it is, if this weren't the case and your primary controller died, you'd have to throw away all your devices.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]