Zwave Setup

Posted on
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:20 am
mvignola29 offline

Zwave Setup

Looking to add Z-Wave technology to my existing Insteon system setup. I currently have 20 various Insteon devices. My concern is Insteon Modem 2413U are no longer available. There does not seem to have replacement for it as well. My thinking is the Indigo software permits both of these technologies to work together. My system is IMac24 using Ventura OS. Matt/Jay recommend using Z-stick Plus Gen5. Does this device permit access to Imac24 using USB-c connection?
Would I need an adapter if the Z-stick does not have USB-c connection key.
Also looking for recommendation on zwave lamp & outlet devices. There seems to many different Zwaves brand devices, just wonder which brands are more reliable in working together with insteon devices.
Any info is appreciated.
[/size]
[/size][/size]

Posted on
Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:13 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Zwave Setup

The Z-Stick plugs directly into a USB Type A port. You'll need an adapter if your Mac doesn't have one of those. When using an adapter, it's best to use a straight cable and not a hub. Hubs can create headaches (although some here have/are using them successfully).

With respect to device brands, you'll probably get as many opinions as there are brands. In my experience, the general rule -- you get what you pay for -- holds true. I've found that the "name" brands all tend to work very well. Rather than recommend a brand, I'd recommend you focus on features first of all. For example, some dimmer brands have many more features than others (like double-click, triple-click, long press and so on. Another thing I'd focus on is official Indigo support. While standard device types like switches and dimmers often "just work", Indigo supports many types and brands officially. See "Compatible Devices" under the Support Menu above.

Edit: in this case, it looks like a hub is recommended (because USB C).
Last edited by DaveL17 on Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:02 pm
CraigM offline

mvignola29 wrote:
My concern is Insteon Modem 2413U are no longer available. There does not seem to have replacement for it as well.

The 2413U PLM will be in stock ± March 2023 at Insteon.com

Posted on
Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

mvignola29 wrote:
Matt/Jay recommend using Z-stick Plus Gen5. Does this device permit access to Imac24 using USB-c connection?

Our recommendation is that you use a USB2 hub connected to one of your USB-C connectors. I have several of these Amazon-branded hubs and they work well to connect both my Z-Stick and a PowerLinc or Insteon Portable Adaptor. It comes with a USB-A cable to connect, so you'll either need a USB-C to USB-B (printer) cable or an adaptor.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:54 am
mvignola29 offline

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:21 am
mvignola29 offline

DaveL17 wrote:
The Z-Stick plugs directly into a USB Type A port. You'll need an adapter if your Mac doesn't have one of those. When using an adapter, it's best to use a straight cable and not a hub. Hubs can create headaches (although some here have/are using them successfully).

With respect to device brands, you'll probably get as many opinions as there are brands. In my experience, the general rule -- you get what you pay for -- holds true. I've found that the "name" brands all tend to work very well. Rather than recommend a brand, I'd recommend you focus on features first of all. For example, some dimmer brands have many more features than others (like double-click, triple-click, long press and so on. Another thing I'd focus on is official Indigo support. While standard device types like switches and dimmers often "just work", Indigo supports many types and brands officially. See "Compatible Devices" under the Support Menu above.

Edit: in this case, it looks like a hub is recommended (because USB C).

Thanks for the info. My Insteon devices do work pretty well. My concern is this technology my become obsolete due the company going out of business or being taken over by a new group of users. The PowerLinc modems are not available anywhere except ebay where the cost for used pieces are very expensive. I feel to be on the safe side having Zwave for some of my critical system needs makes sense.
Thanks Again for your info

Page 1 of 1