Sound System

Posted on
Wed May 02, 2012 9:01 pm
bighop offline

Sound System

Im sure this has been done, just can't find the thread. .....

Looking for ways to run speakers from my basement (where my server is) into a couple of rooms. It would be nice for actions, alerts, etc... Eventually getting into iTunes.

I don't have a real sound system.. I have always just used my computers speakers.

Can I run them through the cold air return? Any other ideas would be great.

Posted on
Thu May 03, 2012 5:15 am
johnpolasek offline

Re: Sound System

I hate pulling wires; if you don't need a heck of a lot of volume at the far end, you might consider a remote system like this one...

http://www.smarthome.com/7656L/Terk-LF-30S-Leapfrog-Wireless-Audio-Video-Transmitter-and-Receiver-System/p.aspx

with a set of computer speakers plugged into the receiver.

Posted on
Thu May 03, 2012 5:53 am
neilt offline

I use the following wireless solution:

To send audio around direct from iTunes the airport express is pretty simple. Join it to your wireless network and control the audio directly from iTunes:
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

If you want to send audio from programs other than iTunes then:
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

Just keep in mind that airport express audio is good, probably as good as listening to an iPhone with ear buds, its not anywhere near real speakers and converters (if you have an ear for that sort of thing.)

Posted on
Thu May 03, 2012 8:39 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

+1 on the Airport Express/Airfoil. And, if you have the AE connected to an amplifier (as opposed to powered speakers) I'm not sure the sound quality is any less than any other streaming audio solution. IMHO of course.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu May 03, 2012 10:54 am
nsheldon offline

I use the AirPort Express + attached speaker solution too (I have 4 AirPort Expresses + speakers currently). Works quite well. As for the audio quality, AirTunes (now called AirPlay) uses an encrypted version of Apple Lossless for it's audio transport format in 16-bit, 44.1 kHz stereo format. The AirPort Express has optical digital audio (mini-S/PDIF) output as well, so your entire audio path (from iTunes to the AirPort to your amp) can be entirely in the lossless digital domain (though limited to 16-bit/44.1 kHz).

Posted on
Thu May 03, 2012 8:40 pm
bighop offline

Thank you for the info! I have the airport extreme... bummer....

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2012 6:25 am
neilt offline

nsheldon wrote:
.... The AirPort Express has optical digital audio (mini-S/PDIF) output as well, so your entire audio path (from iTunes to the AirPort to your amp) can be entirely in the lossless digital domain (though limited to 16-bit/44.1 kHz).

Exactly, and most people, unfortunately, will not be able to hear any difference between this setup and hardwired setup. The problem arises (for those that can hear it), not because of the specs, but because of the practical implementation. Going over wireless can and usually causes timing issues in the data. The issues are automatically corrected and anomalies are produced. Again, most won't hear it, but its really obvious if you know what to listen for. With that said, we use exactly this setup for whole house audio and TV audio (both non critical listening). We do however use a hardwired solution for our home theater and music listening.

<Off Topic Rant>
I point this out because I personally believe that the lack of critical listening desires and skills is one reason today's music is so poorly mastered. I won't buy a lot of music produced today because its mastered for ears that can't or don't want to hear the unnecessary distortion and lack of dynamics. This is not meant to be critical, but rather to inform. Listening skills are learned. But how many people set down and listen only to music for hours at a time. So in some ways it's a result of our time, but again its not good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
<END>

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2012 9:22 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

bighop wrote:
Thank you for the info! I have the airport extreme... bummer....

Hmmm - not sure why that would be a limiting factor. Care to elaborate?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2012 12:02 pm
lalisingh offline

neilt wrote:

Exactly, and most people, unfortunately, will not be able to hear any difference between this setup and hardwired setup. The problem arises (for those that can hear it), not because of the specs, but because of the practical implementation. Going over wireless can and usually causes timing issues in the data. The issues are automatically corrected and anomalies are produced. Again, most won't hear it, but its really obvious if you know what to listen for. With that said, we use exactly this setup for whole house audio and TV audio (both non critical listening). We do however use a hardwired solution for our home theater and music listening.

<Off Topic Rant>
I point this out because I personally believe that the lack of critical listening desires and skills is one reason today's music is so poorly mastered. I won't buy a lot of music produced today because its mastered for ears that can't or don't want to hear the unnecessary distortion and lack of dynamics. This is not meant to be critical, but rather to inform. Listening skills are learned. But how many people set down and listen only to music for hours at a time. So in some ways it's a result of our time, but again its not good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
<END>

Totally agree with your sentiment.
But all is not lost. I have an airport express feeding(optical) to a Muscial Fidelity V-DAC with upgraded power supply to my 'big rig' .
The airport express is wired to the network. In addition I have Mikrotik network gear that allows VLAN & QOS tweaking. Very happy with the sound on well recorded music.

[url]https://www.VillageWorker.com[/url]
Extreme data analytics, Sensing, Control integration work.
Indigo • Barix • Kentix • Mobotix • Mikrotik • Apple

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2012 3:21 pm
bighop offline

Airport extreme does not support air play.

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2012 4:05 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

But Airport Expresses ($99) do. I guess my point is that having an Airport Extreme doesn't keep you from getting and using an Airport Express...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2012 10:29 pm
bighop offline

I get that... It would be nice to use the resources I have, $99 could get me a couple of more switch links...

Page 1 of 1