Syncing hardware when manually switching

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:55 am
RPi offline

Syncing hardware when manually switching

Hi all,

I've done some searching but cannot come up with an answer to a seemingly simple question.

What happens to the Indigo software when I trigger a light switch, for example, manually? Does the software then recognize the light is on, even though it was not turned on via software?

Thanks!
R

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:59 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Syncing hardware when manually switching

For most INSTEON modules, yes, it pretty much automatically works. When you Define the device in Indigo for SwitchLincs, KeypadLincs, RemoteLincs, Motion Sensors, etc., Indigo automatically writes the links into the device so that it will broadcast back to Indigo (the PowerLinc) whenever the module is locally controlled.

For X10 modules, it depends. Most are not 2-way, but for the ones that are Indigo does catch the X10 command and updates its internal device states.

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:12 am
RPi offline

Great, thanks for the quick reply. I do plan on going all Insteon. The products seem to be more stable and user-friendly.

So essentially, when the system is set up and coordinated, there should be no syncing issues when it is more convenient to use the physical switch?

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:24 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Correct, as long as Indigo Server is running (which can be in the background with no UI). If your Mac is shutdown/asleep or Indigo isn't running, then the broadcasts from the switch will be missed and it will get out-of-sync. In those cases, you can send a status request to all of the modules and Indigo will poll out their current states.

Page 1 of 1