x10 vs INSTEON filters

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:51 am
WagnerOne offline

x10 vs INSTEON filters

Are x10 and INSTEON filters functionally identical?

I have several of the 10 amp FilterLinc units around my home, but recently snagged a 5 amp model on Ebay.

It's designated for use with X10. The 10 amp Filterlinc descriptions I read indicate they are effective for x10 and/or INSTEON applications.

x10 PLC - from wikipedia
This digital data is encoded onto a 120 kHz carrier which is transmitted as bursts during the relatively quiet zero crossings of the 50 or 60 Hz AC alternating current waveform. One bit is transmitted at each zero crossing.

INSTEON PLC - from wikipedia
Frequency: 131.65 kHz
Modulation: Binary phase-shift keying (BPSK)
Min Transmit Level: 3.16 Vpp into 5 ohms
Min Receive Level: 10 mV

The FilterLinc 10 amp (1626-10) attenuates 49.2dB @ 120kHz and indicates it is effective for INSTEON and x10. I'm unsure how this is the case if PLC frequency for INSTEON is 131.65.

Maybe the marketing copy is really indicating it "works" with INSTEON in the sense it will improve reliability of x10 signaling -from- INSTEON devices -to- x10 and really doesn't do anything at all for the actual INSTEON line signal?

I still do have a couple x10 devices around (notably Socketrockets, for which there is no equal INSTEON alternative). Am I just improving the signal for x10 devices with ANY filter and not impacting my INSTEON environment at all?

Is the only way to really improve INSTEON signal to bypass PLC snags by utilizing it's built-in RF bridging and working to improve that bridging by adding additional devices?

Thanks for any insight on this,
Mike

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:26 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: x10 vs INSTEON filters

The FilterLinc definitely do help with INSTEON signals as well. I have a couple of UPSs on FilterLincs that gave a significant improvement in INSTEON reliability. I imagine the specs are a bit fuzzy. Although the FL attenuates 49.2db @ 120KHz, I'll be it attenuates quite a bit around 131.64 kHz as well.

Page 1 of 1