Smarthome/Foscam wireless IP camera... nothing but problems

Posted on
Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:58 pm
Aeolius offline

Smarthome/Foscam wireless IP camera... nothing but problems

So, I got the Smarthome Wireless IP camera. I plugged it in.

Then I looked through the instructions and saw it needed a physical connection to set up. So I plugged it into my Time Capsule. I tried running the enclosed CD, but it had a scratch. I tried accessing the camera via Bonjour. That seemed to work, but I could not get passed the screen that wanted login as "admin" and password as blank.

I tried plugging the ethernet right into my iMac. Bonjour would not even show the device. System Preferences > Network > Ethernet gave an IP address which would not work.

I tried downloading IP Scanner from Foscam's site, as recommended by Smarthome. The program showed 15 devices, the first 5 which were not the "unidentified device" it suggested I look for. Clicking on other options prompted me to buy the full app for $30. Not an option.

So, do I send the camera back?

Posted on
Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:09 pm
terrydew offline

Re: Smarthome/Foscam wireless IP camera... nothing but probl

Attach to a port on a switch or router the go to the airport utility to see what ip was assigned (you can tell by the Mac number on camera). Then type that ip address in your browser and it should take you to the camera. Then youn can give a fixed ip to use in security spy. That is the way all of mine work.

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:27 am
nsheldon offline

Re: Smarthome/Foscam wireless IP camera... nothing but probl

Aeolius wrote:
I tried accessing the camera via Bonjour. That seemed to work, but I could not get passed the screen that wanted login as "admin" and password as blank.

I don't have any Smarthome cameras, but I do have a couple of Foscam-based IP cameras that are almost identical to the Smarthome version. If you were able to get to the camera's web interface but it just wouldn't accept the blank password, perhaps the password is something other than blank. On my Wansview IP cameras (all Foscam designs), their default username and password are "admin" and "12345", respectively, without the quotes. You might try using that password.

Page 1 of 1