Recommendations for remote temperature sensors (air)

Posted on
Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:02 pm
JeffB offline

Recommendations for remote temperature sensors (air)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a current templinc type of device that is remote? I understand the Insteon enabled Venstar thermostats won't send temps from remote probes. I'd really like two to three probes to automate some attic fans and my central AC off of. Just the main thermostat doesn't cut it.

Any recommendations around cost and complexity? Interval monitoring is fine, wireless is preferred, but wired is not impossible.

Posted on
Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:07 pm
eme jota ce offline

Bump

I'd like to know if there are suggestions in response to your question, too.

I have been surprised in my recent entry to the Insteon / Indigo world that I'm not seeing remote wired / wireless Insteon modules that just report the indoor / outdoor temperature wherever placed.

These would be useful as triggers....

Can anyone point some newbies to the right devices?

Posted on
Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:05 pm
Matt offline

(No subject)

There are Insteon devices that support the 1-Wire protocall. And there are temp sensors for 1-wire devices. I have an EZIo8SA that supports 1-wire, but I have never bothered to buy and install a temp sensor for it.

As far as I know there are no simple TemLinc type solutions out there.

The closest you can get is a thermostat that can interface with Indigo/Insteon.

Posted on
Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 pm
berkinet offline

(No subject)

Proliphix IP thermostats support remote sensors which can be read via several means. There are AppleScripts available for integration with Indigo. I have two of these tstats and use Indigo to add some additional intelligence to their normal functioning. Note, they are pricey - $250 - $300 for home use, depending on the model.

Phidgets makes a nice USB to analog/digital interface board that supports temperature sensors. There is, or was up to OS X 10.5, AppleScript support. I have been unable, so-far, to get this to work under Snow Leopard. Boards are $80 to $125 (some have built-in LCD text displays) and sensors (a wide range are available) cost $7 to $100.

As previously noted, 1-Wire is another way to go. I do not have any personal experience with it. But, just search the Indigo forums for "1-wire" and you'll get an idea of what is going on. Total costs are probably a bit less than the Phidgets.

Posted on
Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:02 pm
seanadams offline

(No subject)

If you want to go ultra small and cheap, and have something that can take a 0-5V input, you could use one of these: http://www.smarthome.com/1523/Temperatu ... hip/p.aspx

It should work with the ezio8sa, for example.

Posted on
Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:04 am
jamus offline

(No subject)

The cheapest and relatively easy solution I've found is 1-wire through using a LinkUSB and T-Senses from http://www.ibuttonlink.com/. For about $100, I was able to monitor four rooms. The disadvantage is that you may need to run 4-conductor wire to each monitor.

Posted on
Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:29 am
eme jota ce offline

(No subject)

seanadams wrote:
If you want to go ultra small and cheap, and have something that can take a 0-5V input, you could use one of these: http://www.smarthome.com/1523/Temperatu ... hip/p.aspx

I have an extra I/O link from an unused doorbell kit (SmrtHm part 2450), I don't understand even the basics of how to connect this, would the Temperature Sensing IC Chip work with the I/O link?

Thanks.

Posted on
Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:52 pm
anode offline

(No subject)

Matt wrote:
There are Insteon devices that support the 1-Wire protocall. And there are temp sensors for 1-wire devices. I have an EZIo8SA that supports 1-wire, but I have never bothered to buy and install a temp sensor for it.

As far as I know there are no simple TemLinc type solutions out there.

The closest you can get is a thermostat that can interface with Indigo/Insteon.

I found the 1-wire to be unreliable. Tried probably 5 different flavors of a DS1820. Rolled my own with a PIC, Xbee and a temp/RH sensor. Hasn't hicupped yet.

but for an attic fan there are temp switches. set the temp and turns on the fan. no bells or whistles.

Posted on
Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:57 pm
anode offline

(No subject)

It can, if the i/o link has an analog input.

eme jota ce wrote:
seanadams wrote:

I have an extra I/O link from an unused doorbell kit (SmrtHm part 2450), I don't understand even the basics of how to connect this, would the Temperature Sensing IC Chip work with the I/O link?

Thanks.

Posted on
Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:41 pm
wwhigginsjr offline

(No subject)

All-
Bought a EZIO8SA and the LM34DZ temperature sensing chip. Guess that I need to solder some wire to the leads on the chip, but I've never done this sort of thing before. I borrowed a soldering gun, but that seems way too big to use with the tiny IC chip. Apologies for the Newbie questions, but what size wire, what type of soldering tool, what type of solder, etc. do I use? Tips? Pointers? Any guidance greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, if Sean is still listening, I love my Slim Devices Squeezebox. Great product back then. Thinking of upgrading sometime next year.

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:35 am
b_weijenberg offline

(No subject)

The wireless RFXSensor can be received by the W800RF32.
The base unit has a RF transmitter with a temperature sensor and optional a humidity sensor. The base unit can have connected up to 7 external wired 1-Wire sensors.

US users select the 310MHz version 40065 or 60065.
European users select the 433.92MHz 40066 or 60066
http://www.rfxcom.com/sensors.htm#40065

60010 to 60014 are the external sensors that have to be connected to the base RFXSensor.

On the download page there is an Indigo script for the RFXSensor.
http://www.rfxcom.com/downloads.htm

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:35 pm
Snakesitter offline

(No subject)

I'd have to toss my vote in on the Phidgets side as well. The standard Interface Kit (board) can handle up to eight sensor inputs, which a lot of measurement muscle. And as they are USB-based, no worries on line noise. I've used a system of four temp and one temp/humidity sensor to run a small reptile business for six months now, and the hardware has proven extremely reliable -- even though I make 288 calls to each sensor every day. For what it's worth, anyway....

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:29 pm
wwhigginsjr offline

(No subject)

b_weijenberg and Snakesitter-

Thanks for the replies. The wireless solution from RFXCOM looks intriguing, but I'm a bit hesitant to add X10 devices to what I would like to be an ALL INSTEON installation.

The solution from Phidgets also seems pretty robust. One thing I don't understand is how to get the temperature (and/or other analog) sensors to places far away from a USB (other?) connection. Am I missing something or are Phidgit sensors limited to the space immediately around a computer?

The reason I'd like to try the IC chip solution is: 1) I purchased the chip and an EZIO8SA already (!); and 2) I have a power outlet near where I want to monitor the temperature. My Mac is in another room/space entirely. If I combine a EZIO with the IC here:

http://www.smarthome.com/1523/Temperatu ... hip/p.aspx

I think I get a Indigo/INSTEON solution to reading remote air temperatures near any wall outlet. My real question is how to connect the tiny wires on the IC with a suitable set of wires to use with the EZIO. What type of solder? What type of wire? What make/model of soldering tool? I've never soldered before!

I'd like to get the thing working before making an assessment as to how well it works. Again, thanks for any help.

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:46 pm
berkinet offline

(No subject)

wwhigginsjr wrote:
...The solution from Phidgets also seems pretty robust. One thing I don't understand is how to get the temperature (and/or other analog) sensors to places far away from a USB (other?) connection. Am I missing something or are Phidgit sensors limited to the space immediately around a computer?
The good news is that there are several good solutions, including the one you have already bought. But, to answer you question re: the Phidgets... I recently posted this for a similar question in another thread.
I wrote:
...the Phidgets Controllers are quite flexible and might meet your needs. Probably the 1012 or the 1018.

But, since these are USB devices, they would probably be too far from your Mac to connect via standard USB. That means some type of USB over cat-5 (~ $40) or USB over Ethernet (~$100) device for each location. I have had good luck with the Keyspan products like the US-4a (4-port USB 1.1) and the U2S-2A (2-port USB 2.0) devices.

Also, at the present time the AppleTalk for the Phidgets controller is broken in Snow Leopard (10.6)... ...But, it is being worked on and should be available soon.

As for the soldering. It is actually quite simple, but if you have never done it before, tele-learning via a user forum may not be the most effective. (Though you might get by with a video instruction from YouTube.) So, I'd suggest that you try to find someone to do it for you. You might be able to find a local ham radio operator, or you could go to the local electronics outlet (Radio Shack?) and I am sure they can either do it or suggest someone who can. Cost should be cheap, like well under $20. If you reply with your general location, you might even find someone here on this board that could do it for you. (If you are near the SF Bay area I'd be glad to help for free :)).

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:52 pm
wwhigginsjr offline

(No subject)

berkinet-

Thanks for the help. Normally, I reside in San Francisco (where it's cold, but not THAT cold). The location I need to monitor the temperature in/around is New Hampshire, where it does go well below freezing. Usual stories of pipes freezing, etc.

I'm in New Hampshire now. I'll ask around here, but don't expect much success (I'll have to drive a decent distance just to get to a Radio Shack to ask!). Maybe I'll poke around YouTube as well.

Further suggestions welcome.