Inconsistent ApplianceLinc Behavior

Posted on
Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:14 am
johnpolasek offline

Inconsistent ApplianceLinc Behavior

Just a note for those thinking about trying this; I am running a mixed Insteon/X10 system as I slowly replace the legacy devices with Insteons, and in the back bedroom which had a long run, the local X10 leviton wall panel as well as the Mini controller on the bed stand could turn the light, lamp, and ceiling fan on and off, but Indigo could not see the signals nor control the appliance modules, although a quick test showed me that it could easily see and respond to an applianceLinc. So I got the bright idea to "dual control" Appliancelincs to replace the old X10 modules while leaving the mini controller and Leviton X10s in place. Unfortunately, it looks like the two controllers are totally independent and neither knows about the other; When I turn on the appliancelinc from an X10 signal, no status change is sent to Indigo, so unless I query it's status, Indigo still thinks it is off when it is on or vice versa. So, query; how much overhead is involved in sending status requests once a minute or so? I've seen issues in other threads about not generating collisions through excessive traffic, so would this be an issue? Putting a Keypadlinc in place of the Leviton is an option, but I really don't want to replace the tiny footprint mini controller with a ControlLinc because I'm not sure the alarm clock radio will still fit...

Posted on
Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:25 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Inconsistent ApplianceLinc Behavior

Status requests generate a non-trivial amount of traffic, particularly if run that frequently. It may be OK or it may not - you can only experiment.

Try the new RemoteLinc 2's - they're very small and look much better than the old ones.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1