Can I see what X10 signals are bouncing around my house?

Posted on
Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:54 pm
dstrickler offline

Can I see what X10 signals are bouncing around my house?

Pardon the newbie question, and please point me to a post on this if one exists...

Years ago I was playing with a Win-based X10 software system that was able to see, and thus log, X10 traffic on the house circuit. This was useful, as if you had an X10 switch, and you didn't know which house code (A/B/C/etc) it was set to, you could just toggle it on and off a few times, and you could see the log say "BBBBB", and you knew the switch was on the "B" house code.

I have a house that had a few X10 switches installed without me. I have a few working, but one (last one) I can't get working, and I have tried all kinds of house codes. I've even taken the plate off to see what code it's set to, but I can't see it on the front (must be on the back).

Anyone have any advice on how to find out the codes for a rouge X10 switch?

And yes, this is an X10 switch as I was able to control the light it activates this afternoon by accident when testing with Indigo, and can't seem to get it to respond again.

TIA,

Dave

Posted on
Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can I see what X10 signals are bouncing around my house?

Hi Dave,

Indigo actually logs all X10 commands to the Event Log window. It waits to log commands after it has received the command portion of the pair, however. So for a typical ON command this would be put on the power line: A-7, A-On. Indigo doesn't log anything until the last part (on/off/brighten/etc.) comes through.

If you aren't seeing anything logged then that means either: the X10 switch isn't a transmitter (most X10 switches receive only and don't transmit), the switch has malfunctioned, or there is a power line noise issue preventing the command from making it from the switch to the computer.

To rule out the last one I would suggest plugging your PowerLinc / CM11 / etc. into different outlets. Use an extension cord so you can get it moved around. That might help you get a signal path from the X10 module to the interface so the command can be logged (or so Indigo can control it).

Posted on
Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:48 pm
dstrickler offline

Re: Can I see what X10 signals are bouncing around my house?

support wrote:
Hi Dave,

Indigo actually logs all X10 commands to the Event Log window. It waits to log commands after it has received the command portion of the pair, however. So for a typical ON command this would be put on the power line: A-7, A-On. Indigo doesn't log anything until the last part (on/off/brighten/etc.) comes through.

If you aren't seeing anything logged then that means either: the X10 switch isn't a transmitter (most X10 switches receive only and don't transmit), the switch has malfunctioned, or there is a power line noise issue preventing the command from making it from the switch to the computer.

To rule out the last one I would suggest plugging your PowerLinc / CM11 / etc. into different outlets. Use an extension cord so you can get it moved around. That might help you get a signal path from the X10 module to the interface so the command can be logged (or so Indigo can control it).

Hmmm, good to know - thanks. Unfortunately the X10 (I think they are X10, but they have no markings to say so) switches don't register any data in the log window. As I am a newbie a Indigo, I always keep that log window open, and I have never seen any data coming back when a switch is thrown. I have a feeling I should just make short work of this and replace with the X10 switches with Insteon switches. The two Insteon switches that came with my "starter pack" are working in the house perfectly.

Oh, and I'm 90% sure it's not the distance/phase of the X10 switch I am trying to activate as the other X10 switches work like a charm. It's a small old house (cottage really), so I think the phase would be my only trip up here.

Thanks again for your help!

-- Dave

Page 1 of 1