X10 smoke detector using kidde smoke detector relay

Posted on
Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:11 am
boyakaa offline

X10 smoke detector using kidde smoke detector relay

Hello, this is more of a general question regarding DS10A window/door sensor, with a SM 120X Kidde smoke relay, and 1235E smoke detector.

I’m wondering if anyone has combined these items to use with Indigo home automation.

Based on what i have read it would appear that it would work. The idea is to use the hard wired existing smoke detectors (three in total wired in a relay series); the SM120X Kidde Smoke relay. Would provide the 9 volt contact required to trigger the DS10A wireless transmitter.

this would trigger lights, Email alerts, etc.. Using indigo for home automation, the URLs can be found here:

Kidde device..
http://www.bestqualitysafety.com/Produc ... ow=ExtInfo

Smoke detector..
http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/S ... SD202.aspx

Any feedback would be great!

Posted on
Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:36 pm
boyakaa offline

(No subject)

I wanted to let you know, that the solution posted above does work. Its as simple as following the wiring diagram to connect the Kidde smoke relay to your existing smoke detection system.

I am using a DS10A with indigo via apple scripting for notification. I have it setup so i get a text message when the smoke detector goes off.

If I’m not home and my home security is on it also triggers the security alarm.

I'm sure that’s enough noise to get some ones attention (two 120 DB sirens) with three smoke detectors blaring at the same time..

I hope this helps..

Posted on
Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:32 am
ereuter offline

Re: X10 smoke detector using kidde smoke detector relay

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Does anyone know if these hardwired smoke detectors are generic in their communication? I have Firex detectors, and found a Firex relay for sale, but with a note that it had been replaced with the Kidde SM120X.

I have kind of assumed that the third wire just goes hot when the alarm goes off, but have never put a scope on it to check. If that's the case, I could just use any old 120V relay. Anyone know?

Thanks-
Eric

Page 1 of 1