Possible Overload or just botched wiring?

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:42 pm
noefresh offline

Possible Overload or just botched wiring?

I've done nearly our whole place with Insteon/Zwave and it's been very successful so far... until now.

I recently replaced 3 old toggle switches in the bathroom, which resulted in some odd side effects. This bank controls an overhead lamp, a heating lamp and a fan via 3 switches. So, I changed the overhead to a Switchlinc dimmer 2477D and the lamp & fan to Switchlinc on/offs 2477S's.

Since the change- the kitchen overhead light seems to affect the overhead lamp in the bathroom. Specifically, when you bring one to 100% power the other light does the same thing after about 5 seconds. The same thing also happens when you go to 0% at either end. And I've not linked them at all in the system. They do share a circuit in the breaker box which I'm guessing is the key to the problem.

At the same time, the overhead lights- bulb and sconce no longer work in the guest room- also on the same circuit.

So the question is- did I overload this circuit by adding the Switchlincs? i.e. could their LED indicator lights add just a little too much load to the circuit? Is there a better Insteon unit to use for the fan/heat lamp? Or did I just miswire something in the 3-bank box? I'm going to go back in this week and redo the 3 bank to see if I missed something but just wondering if this sounds familiar.

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:58 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Possible Overload or just botched wiring?

Have you tried a factory reset of the switches that appear to be "linked" in some way? I had this exact situation when we built our house a year ago - when I controlled the sconces in a room next to the bathroom, the bathroom overhead light would react... these were brand new, fresh installs. Not sure if perhaps I got returns or something weird was going on, but factory resetting both switches, in my case, immediately solved the problem.

Might not solve your issue, but is an easy first step that, in my case, solved that problem.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:11 pm
noefresh offline

Thanks Adam- your suggestion worked with the unintentional linking thanks!

I'm still out of luck with the lights in the bedroom but I'm guessing that a traveler wire go disconnected in the 3-unit box during the work. Will go in for more surgery asap.

Posted on
Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:18 pm
noefresh offline

Yep- after some additional box surgery it seems that the guest room lights went out due to the wiring connection not being made in the bathroom box. All is well now.

Page 1 of 1