Weather Stations And Indigo

Posted on
Mon May 07, 2012 11:44 am
AlaskaDave offline

Re: Weather Stations And Indigo

Swancoat wrote:
I think you could solve that issue with a different weather station. I have a Davis that provides both of those, and I only have one instance of WeatherSnoop running.
[/quote]

The Davis would be great for outdoors and that's what I'm considering but for inside temp/humidity they seem a little overkill for me considering their size and cost for sensors.

Posted on
Mon May 07, 2012 12:09 pm
norm offline

RFXrec433 and Security Modules

"Do you stock (or are you thinking about stocking) any of the 433MHz security modules that the plugin supposidly supports?"

John,
Maybe . . . can you point me toward some specific examples?

— Norm
Indigo Store
10 Years Serving the Indigo Community

Posted on
Mon May 07, 2012 2:55 pm
AlaskaDave offline

jay (support) wrote:

The RFX plugin, in terms of receiving data, seems rock solid already. So, for those who don't care about history and weather graphs may want to consider going with the RFXtrx433/RFXrec433 transceiver and the OS sensors. Since the RFX device supports all versions of the OS sensor protocols, you can use more sensors than the OS base stations can (which are generally limited to one specific protocol version).

Note also that the last time I had conversations with the WeatherSnoop guys they were going to drop support for the Oregon Scientific weather stations in the next major release so if you've already invested in OS systems this is an alternative.

Very good to know. As I already have OS sensors for bedrooms, refrigerator..etc. Here I was waiting for WeatherSnoop to allow for two instances to be running so as to add outside weather. I would much rather split that apart as I don't really need to track indoor temp/humidity. When I emailed WeatherSnoop I didn't get any sense that they'd be dropping OS sensor support so thanks for passing that along as that will certainly help me in deciding which path to choose. I find it difficult to look for Indigo add-ons. It would be nice to view add-ons/plug-ins by feature provided, necessary hardware...etc.

For those using the RFX Plugin and OS sensors have you found the range to be about the same or improved?

Posted on
Mon May 07, 2012 5:31 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

AlaskaDave wrote:
I find it difficult to look for Indigo add-ons. It would be nice to view add-ons/plug-ins by feature provided, necessary hardware...etc.

The Plugin Wish List and the File Library are about as close as it comes at the moment. Eventually we'll have a plugin store that will be the central place to find plugins.

AlaskaDave wrote:
For those using the RFX Plugin and OS sensors have you found the range to be about the same or improved?

I think the range is a little better - I had a hard time placing my OS sensors (specifically the wind and range sensors) so that my WMR100 could find them. As I stated above the sensors work inside in opposite ends of the house so the range is great.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2012 5:20 am
johnpolasek offline

Re: RFXrec433 and Security Modules

norm wrote:
"Do you stock (or are you thinking about stocking) any of the 433MHz security modules that the plugin supposidly supports?"

John,
Maybe . . . can you point me toward some specific examples?

I realize that this is getting away from weather, and it looks almost like it should be a different thread, and you probably arent the one to ask anyway... But my problem is that I, as a simple end user, am finding it tough to find out what specific sensors would work with the plugin... I haven't added door open detection simply because while the insteon triggerlincs could add that functionality fairly cheaply, they are kind of obvious; I know DSC makes a nice line of 433 MHz magnetic contact sensors that can be imbedded in the door or window frame for about the same price, but can't find any way to cross reference as to whether they would be compatible with the plugin. I know it's compatible with more than the listed sensors, because it did pick up and recognize my Radio Shack 63-1088 temperature sensor in the freezer when I opened it (going to have to rethink using Indigo for that, though; the metal in the freezer apparently keeps the signal from having enough range to reach across the house to the RFX unless the freezer is open, and when I moved the display that we have hung on the wall over the freezer more than about 15 feet away, it won't pick it up either).

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2012 8:41 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

That's a question for the RFXCOM guys - they monitor the forums here - for sure the one for the plugin so you should post these types of questions there. I know that Norm is definitely interested in carrying the sensors that people find useful. I also know that adding various 433MHz sensors to the RFXrec firmware isn't a trivial exercise so they have to make sure there's demand just like we do when we're presented with hardware support requests.

The good news is that the RFXCOM firmware is field upgradeable - so they can add new stuff over time. The plugin may or may not need a revision when new hardware is added I believe, but I think the plan is to try to keep them in sync as much as possible. Doing the firmware upgrade at the moment requires running the Windows configuration utility (which can be run somewhat successfully under Mono on the Mac) but we're really hoping that the firmware upgrade process will be added to the plugin so that you don't have to download all that other stuff. ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:50 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Just got a Davis Vantage Vue weather station and was hoping to get some advice on the best way
to hook it up so Weathersnoop can read it?

Seems to need a serial to USB connection of some kind.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:39 pm
AlaskaDave offline

Carl,

I also have the VantageVue and have for about a year. Living in Alaska and in a rainforest I was a bit skeptical of the solar recharging the sensor's battery, particularly in the winter. This has not been an issue. When I purchased the Vue I decided to go with the weather Envoy so that I could place it near my computer and using the USB interface plug into my MacMini, therefore freeing the Wireless console to be placed anywhere in my home. I too am using WeatherSnoop to both publish to WeatherUnderground and for the Indigo plug-in.

I have just lately had issues with the USB interface and will likely have to change it out for the IP Version. If I could change one thing it would have been to spend the extra on the IP version. You might not have issues with the USB interface, but to read more about that view the discussion: http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10085&p=65797#p65797

Another advantage of the IP equipped Envoy is being able to locate it at any Ethernet drop. Don't know about you but power near my MacMini is in shortage and freeing up a receptacle in my UPS is nice.
Last edited by AlaskaDave on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:12 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks Dave. I'll give the USB Data Logger a shot and see how it goes.
Good to know about the solar charger working pretty well.

Carl

Posted on
Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:28 pm
AlaskaDave offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Thanks Dave. I'll give the USB Data Logger a shot...

NOTE: USB is giving me issues. I'm switching from USB to IP. Be sure to read my previous post regarding issues with USB driver. I'll post again when I have the IP Data logger up and running.

Posted on
Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:44 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks Dave. I've been lucky so far not having any issues with my USB gear
so given the price difference it may be worth a try at least.

Carl

Posted on
Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:44 am
lalisingh offline

Any one have experience with the proWeatherStation. Indigo integration could be through Weathersnoop.

Price is best I have seen $119 + shipping.

http://tycononline.com/weather-station/tp1080wc.html

[url]https://www.VillageWorker.com[/url]
Extreme data analytics, Sensing, Control integration work.
Indigo • Barix • Kentix • Mobotix • Mikrotik • Apple

Posted on
Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:17 am
AlaskaDave offline

AlaskaDave wrote:
ckeyes888 wrote:
Thanks Dave. I'll give the USB Data Logger a shot...

NOTE: USB is giving me issues. I'm switching from USB to IP. Be sure to read my previous post regarding issues with USB driver. I'll post again when I have the IP Data logger up and running.

I have since switched over to the IP Data Logger and have not dropped once from WeatherSnoop. Also, my z-wave network seems MUCH more reliable. I was about to give up on the z-wave mutli-sensor but now will test relocating to other areas of my home. With the USB conflicts I was experiencing I could barely get reports back from my multi-sensor when placed near by.

Posted on
Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:43 pm
keifer1 offline

Ok, RTM deep breath.... Great work. Any time coming up to look at weather snoop 3 plugin...

Thankx
Keith

Computer Keith
Mt Pleasant SC - Charleston
Indi-Go -Go-Go

Posted on
Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, we're just about to the point we can turn our attention to WS3.

Jay (Indigo Support)