Weather Stations And Indigo

Posted on
Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:16 pm
artpics offline

Weather Stations And Indigo

So the bug is biting i need a weather station :D

There is not a lot of Mac software out there.

i will be buying the Oregon Scientific WMR968. About $200

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005B0BL

and for starters using this $10 app so i can upload to wunderground and have a PWS and get the variables back into indigo thanks to berkinets script. See the contrib library.
http://www.afterten.com/products/weathe ... index.html

then i will move on to either lightsofts software if the WMR968 is going to be supported but after downloading a trial copy the UI it is quite bad under Snow Leopard. (misalignments)

edit just downloaded the Beta and all is working fine looks good.

This software looks promising and supports lots of different stations.

http://www.weather-display.com/index.php

http://www.weather-display.com/index2c.php

hope this gets you into the weather bug

:D
[/u][/b]
Last edited by artpics on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Weather Stations And Indigo

artpics wrote:
then i will move on to either lightsofts software if the WMR968 is going to be supported but after downloading a trial copy the UI it is quite bad under Snow Leopard. (misalignments)

That's too bad - my server is a PPC so I won't be upgrading to Snow Leopard... ;) I would be quite surprised if they don't fix their SL problems.

artpics wrote:

Yeah, I tried that out as well before settling on LWC.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:10 am
bobeast offline

jay wrote:

It looks to me that LWC does not have AppleScript support for weather data....or am I missing something?

Choose to chance the rapids.
Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:48 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

bobeast wrote:
jay wrote:

It looks to me that LWC does not have AppleScript support for weather data....or am I missing something?

Correct - neither of these do. That's why I created the LWC IWS plugin so I could have LWC post it's data to IWS which populates the variables.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:32 am
bobeast offline

jay wrote:
bobeast wrote:
jay wrote:

Correct - neither of these do. That's why I created the LWC IWS plugin so I could have LWC post it's data to IWS which populates the variables.

Got it. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Choose to chance the rapids.
Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:50 pm
DPattee offline

(No subject)

If you don't need it "right away", I just got a brochure about a new consumer-priced Davis station in the mail this week. It looks like it is going to be around $250.

Their calling it the "Vantage Vue", so it is in the same model line as their big Pro and Pro2 units, unlike their older 'consumer' units which were named totally separate.

Since it has 'Vantage' in the name, I assume it is going to use the same communication protocol that the Pro, Envoy, and Pro2 used.

{danger advertisement-here}
If my assumption is true, then it won't take too much work to get my Weather Now app updated to support it, since I already had to make it deal with all the optional sensors the other Vantages support.
{/danger}

But, I'm busy trying to get ready for Christmas lights and a vacation, so I won't be able to work on it until January probably.

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

DPattee wrote:
If you don't need it "right away", I just got a brochure about a new consumer-priced Davis station in the mail this week. It looks like it is going to be around $250.

Their calling it the "Vantage Vue", so it is in the same model line as their big Pro and Pro2 units, unlike their older 'consumer' units which were named totally separate.

Since it has 'Vantage' in the name, I assume it is going to use the same communication protocol that the Pro, Envoy, and Pro2 used.

{danger advertisement-here}
If my assumption is true, then it won't take too much work to get my Weather Now app updated to support it, since I already had to make it deal with all the optional sensors the other Vantages support.
{/danger}

But, I'm busy trying to get ready for Christmas lights and a vacation, so I won't be able to work on it until January probably.

So, when can we expect La Crosse 230x support?? :D

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:11 pm
artpics offline

(No subject)

You will still need the Data Logger for any Davis unit that is another $140.
Prices for the Vantage Vue are from $299. So the system wil still be $440 too expensive for me.

DPattee wrote:

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:17 pm
artpics offline

jay wrote:
artpics wrote:

That's too bad - my server is a PPC so I won't be upgrading to Snow Leopard... ;) I would be quite surprised if they don't fix their SL problems.

artpics wrote:

The layout for weather display link above is soooooo bad looks llike windows 98.

But what they do with the premium service with Flash looks very good.
and you can save it as a web clip :D also on the demo below all the gauges are clickable to bring up extra graphs and stats
http://www.powellweather.net/WDLive/index.html

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:51 am
Ian offline

(No subject)

You might want to check out Weathersnoop software......$10

http://www.tee-boy.com/WeatherSnoop.html.

support for 968 apparently coming soon.

I use it and it works well with my WMR200.

Tech support is excellent

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:49 am
artpics offline

(No subject)

i did try weather snoop but it is pretty basic. weather tracker is no long being developed and lwc is not the mac program i was expecting.

so i went with weather display Mac intel and PPC supported.

the forum is very healthy, very easy to get a choice of 2000 variables into indigo. and i came to realise that this is a database program and databasas are seldom good gui's. there are plenty of updates and so much information you can also design your own GUI in the future.

i currently have my easyflora linked with the sotware so it turns off my sprinklers if there is rain in the last week over a certain amount.

also as the wmr968 supports extra wireless sensors ($30) and these are viewable and the variable tags are supported in indigo i have humdity and temp linked in all rooms which adjusts the T1900 thermostat. currently monitoring the snake cage temp humidity max min temps and times.

there is a 30 day trial if you want to give it a go.

:D 8)

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:11 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

artpics wrote:
i did try weather snoop but it is pretty basic. weather tracker is no long being developed and lwc is not the mac program i was expecting.

so i went with weather display Mac intel and PPC supported.

the forum is very healthy, very easy to get a choice of 2000 variables into indigo. and i came to realise that this is a database program and databasas are seldom good gui's. there are plenty of updates and so much information you can also design your own GUI in the future.

i currently have my easyflora linked with the sotware so it turns off my sprinklers if there is rain in the last week over a certain amount.

also as the wmr968 supports extra wireless sensors ($30) and these are viewable and the variable tags are supported in indigo i have humdity and temp linked in all rooms which adjusts the T1900 thermostat. currently monitoring the snake cage temp humidity max min temps and times.

there is a 30 day trial if you want to give it a go.

:D 8)

If you get a chance and are so inclined, could you shed a little more light on why you chose the way you did? I'm just wondering what features weather display has that the others don't. I'm also interested in what you mean by "lwc is not the mac program i was expecting". How are you getting your weather display data into Indigo?

Getting weather data into Indigo seems to be growing in popularity - I'd really like to see a good comparison of the various solutions out there. I'd be glad to either make it sticky here, or better yet put it in the Wiki and let you and others maintain it. I've found a couple of sites, but they look like they haven't been updated since the 90s or so... ;) Also, I think Indigo users have a slightly different take on it so a comparison from that POV would be nice.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:10 pm
Matt offline

(No subject)

Just an update to the weather software available for Mac OS X. The developer of WeatherTracker has release two new versions recently and begun to charge for the software.

I've always liked WeatherTracker over the other options available. The developer's support in the past has been non-existent to minimal, so he doesn't have that going for him.

But this is a promising turn of events, and I am busy downloading the latest version (1.1.2) and am really looking forward to giving it a try.

Posted on
Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:01 am
loafbread offline

More Weather for Indigo

I am using wview ( http://www.wviewweather.com/ ) on a Linux machine to push LaCrosse WS-2317 data into Indio via RESTful URLs in a PERL script. I ran the macports wview on my Mac until Snow Leopard seemed to break it.

I have also considered the software being developed at http://www.ejeklint.se/development/wmr1 ... -mac-os-x/ This puts Oregon Scientific RMS300 data into a CouchDB database and I suppose it could then be stuffed into Indigo. This software seems solid but I choose not to pursue using it just yet. It requires compiling from source. I am currently running Oregon Scientific's Windows XP software in a VMware instance on my Mac and stuffing the RMS300 data into Indigo with a perl script via RESTful URLs.

I am using the indoor and out door temperature and humidity to control ventilation fans and include data on Control Pages. The flexibility of Indigo seems endless.

Posted on
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:56 am
bbruck offline

honeywell te831w

Was given this for Christmas - it's a weather station sold by Costco. It is supported by Weather Display on the mac, but I'm despearately looking for some other software that would not require programming on my part that would support it, and through which I could get data into Indigo (either directly or through Weather Underground).

Anyone have any ideas?

Weather Display, BTW, is a $70 program that has perhaps the most arcane installation process since installing drivers onto Windows 3.1, and a display that looks - well - shall I put it gently - a tad over-crowded. I still don't think i've gotten it working right after investing about 4 hours into the install process.