2nd floor X10 modules problems

Posted on
Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:02 pm
pablohoney26 offline

2nd floor X10 modules problems

I can't get my X10 modules to work on the second floor of my house. Any ideas or tips? Thanks.

Posted on
Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:16 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: 2nd floor X10 modules problems

I believe the problem is a signal issue. For some reason signals cannot reliably get from where the interface (PowerLinc USB/CM11/etc.) is located to those modules on the 2nd floor. There are a few possibilities:

1) Something is sucking the signals along the path, so by the time the signal gets to those modules it is too weak to be received. Note the signal sucker may be something physically near the computer interface (like a computer surge protector or power supply), or could be on the other side of the house. It won't necessarily be physically close to it.

2) Something is introducing noise onto the power line. Again, it may or may not be physically close to where the interface or other modules are located.

3) The wiring for the particular outlet (or circuit) the interface is plugged into may be causing problems. The first outlet I plugged my interface into had a terrible time controlling most of the house. Just by moving the interface to the outlet on the wall adjacent to bad one, I was able to reach 90% of the house (up from about 50%). A repeater/phase coupler then enabled me to reach all of my X10 devices.

4) You might need a repeater or phase coupler to bridge the 2 legs of your power system.

There are plug-in filters (like Smarthome.com's FilterLinc) that can help with #1 and #2 above. And circuit breaker mounted repeaters, as well as plug-in amplifiers (Smarthome.com's BoosterLinc) that can help with overall signal reliability.

But before you spend any additional money on those, I'd start by unplugging all potential signal suckers and noisy devices (surge protectors, UPS, A/V equipment, other computers, etc.). The idea is to strip out everything to try to get a baseline that works, then add devices back into the system one at a time to see when it breaks. Once you locate the trouble spots you can isolate them with a FilterLinc. I'd also try plugging the interface into another outlet -- it sure helped with my system.

Hopefully this will help!

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1