Too much stuff to control via X10?

Posted on
Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:46 pm
Idolwild offline

Too much stuff to control via X10?

Greetings. I'm new to X10 and as my first project I wanted to schedule when my daughter could use her computer and TV and other gadgets in her room. I purchased a Leviton DHC Duplex Receptacle with no local control along with the PowerLinc and Indigo software. When there is nothing or only a lamp plugged into the controlled outlet the X10 signal is sent and received successfully.

However, when I load it up with all her stuff (a power strip to each outlet receptacle top and bottom with a myriad of gadgets plugged into each strip) the X10 does not make it through.

Could it be a single device is causing the interference and should I test them all one by one or am I trying to do too much on this single wall receptacle? Does it have so much load that the signal has no hope of ever getting through?

Are there things I could buy to mitigate the problem and what would I need, boosters, filters, couplers, repeaters?

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Posted on
Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:02 pm
gregjsmith offline

(No subject)

Your power strip and stuff attached are probably causing interference. I would suggest getting a filter and attaching the power-strip to that. I had to do that in my house.

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:19 am
ddeppe offline

Re: Too much stuff to control via X10?

I had a similar problem with my computer equipment. Had to do with the power strips absorbing the x10 signal, which prevented all x10 stuff in the same room from working. I bought a filter & plugged the power strip into that which cleared up the problem.

Page 1 of 1