Automated -and- manual control in one device?

Posted on
Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:49 pm
gmaletic offline

Automated -and- manual control in one device?

Does anyone make an X10 "lamp" controller (by this, I mean an X10 switch that plugs into an outlet, then controls a lamp or some similar device by turning on/off the power to the device) that has its -own- power switch? I'd like to control some lamps in my house with devices like this, but I'm worried that my Mac will have a lamp set to "off" at exactly the time that I'd like to manually switch on the lamp, and I won't be able to since its power has been cut off.

I guess what I'm asking for is a lamp controller that offers the same flexibility as an X10 wall switch: full computer control as well as manual control.

Thanks.

Posted on
Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:07 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Automated -and- manual control in one device?

Most of the lamp and appliance modules do this (LampLinc, for example). There isn't a switch on the module, but it can detect when you manually turn the lamp's real switch from off to on. Normally, this means you have to turn the lamp 2 clicks to get it on manually -- the first click turns the lamp off even though it is really already off, and the second click turns in on.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:07 pm
gmaletic offline

But...

That's very cool. But what happens if I turn the lamp off after having turned it on manually? Then it will not be able to be controlled centrally again, right? (Until I turn it back on again by hand, that is.)

Thanks for your help.

Posted on
Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:20 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: But...

gmaletic wrote:
That's very cool. But what happens if I turn the lamp off after having turned it on manually? Then it will not be able to be controlled centrally again, right? (Until I turn it back on again by hand, that is.)

True, there is no way to manually turn it off such that Indigo could then turn it back on without additionally turning it on manually again.

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1