TV Suggestions

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:35 am
rhanson offline

Re: TV Suggestions

The Panasonic TVs do respond to TCP wake-on-LAN packets (that requires Ethernet, not wifi), so that's the way to turn them on. You can send them messages to accomplish other things like input, volume, turn off, etc.

I have never had them misbehave. Remote controllability/wake-on-lan need to be enabled in the menus.

Most TV manufacturers have a couple models for home theater integrators, which used to mean RS-485 or RS-232 interfaces to connect to fancy Crestron or Control4 systems. Those systems were several hundred dollars more, but they offered full controllability. Nowadays they seem to be adding Ethernet support throughout the product line.

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:46 am
Colly offline

rhanson wrote:
The Panasonic TVs do respond to TCP wake-on-LAN packets (that requires Ethernet, not wifi), so that's the way to turn them on. You can send them messages to accomplish other things like input, volume, turn off, etc.

Hi rhanson,

Would you mind sharing how you communicate with the Panasonic TV's? I purchased a reasonable high spec TV last year and would love to integrate it with Indigo - I just haven't a clue how to do it!

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:51 am
mat offline

There are a number of ways to do it I believe.

I use this code, which works but conflicts with the sonos plugin

https://github.com/tomokas/pyviera/blob/master/viera.py

There are other examples on github too if you dig around.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:08 pm
dillwishlist offline

I don't know which consumer TVs support it, but I have several commercial TVs at work, they all support the PJLink standard - designed for controlling a projector over the network. Quite useful. We use NEC commercial monitors there, but don't make much sense for the home market.

Alexander