Using one computer / insteon for house and garage

Posted on
Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:18 pm
arwatson2000 offline

Using one computer / insteon for house and garage

I LOVE Indigo and have 5 courses on it. Remarkable program.

Now, there is one house that has Insteon in the house and a garage. I have connected the main house and the garage with underground certified Cat5e.

How can I add Insteon devices to the garage and work with them using the Cat5e to connect to my main house that has the Insteon / USB / computer?

The garage is beyond the wifi access of the home network and the insteon access points.

Is there a "booster" so to speak or some other way to connect these two buildings so I can use Insteon in both locations?

Hopefully this is clear.

thank you.

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Using one computer / insteon for house and garage

There isn't much you can do about it - Insteon just isn't really meant for use in separate physical buildings, particularly if they're on separate electrical panels.

Just to clarify: if you're running multiple Indigo servers in multiple homes, you must own a license for each server. I can only locate one license for you.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:52 am
roussell offline

I have had luck before with Insteon in remote buildings by using the boosters ( http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2992-222-range-extender.html )outside and facing each other. NOTE: they're not rated for outdoor use, but I had outlets placed about 1 foot under the eves of the house and storage building that faced each other and plugged in the boosters. In the three years I had that in place, it never failed. The building and the house were about 110 feet apart. The building had 240V (split-phase 120v) so I ensured that the house booster and the building booster were on different phases. It takes a little bit of work and planning, but you can make it work reliably if you have a clear line-of-sight. I have a friend that has extended Insteon about 400 feet from his house to a pier on a lake. There is a Gazebo/Pavilion about half-way and he used that as a repeater-point using a method similar to what I describe above.

The old boosters had stubby external antennas, seeing that it's 915MHz, you could also get creative with modified antennas, obviously voiding your warranty in the process, but hey, that's half the fun, right??? I think the new ones only have internal antennas, still though, could be fun to play around. I don't have a need for that any longer as my new property is quite small...

Terry

Posted on
Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:03 pm
arwatson2000 offline

Jay,

If i need to buy an additional license can how can I buy multiple licenses under one username / password? I love the software and want to reimburse you without additional complexity on my side.

Again, your support and products are excellent!

Posted on
Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:11 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just buy one. Use the same email address when you purchase (as you used to register the others) and the system will link them together automatically.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1