Command not happening

Posted on
Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:58 pm
protean offline

Command not happening

Ok, I have no where else to turn. I don't think it is the software but here is the problem.

I have Indigo doing all sorts of things and it has worked flawlessly for months. I recently modified my home alarm system to send commands for different states of the alarm. What they are doesn't matter because none of them work but turns off 2 seconds later as expected.

The alarm panel sends an ON command on D4 (D for data) and two seconds later sends the OFF command on D4.
The rest of the house is on C code. Indigo listens for the ON D4 and in turn sends an ON to C8 (living room). This is the symptom:

The log shows the following:

Received X10 D4 ON
Trigger Action IR
Sent X10 "Living Room"
Received X10 D4 OFF
Received X10 D4 OFF

I have Indigo ignore the D4 OFF.
The log shows the command sent but the light does not turn on, even the device status shows it as being ON.
If I manually trigger the event using the main window it works.
When the panel sends the command to a module set to D4 it works.
The trigger is an appliance module so I can hear the relay no matter what.

Using a plug in commander works fine too, even simulating the on/off sequence the alarm panel transmits.

If I delay the action by .1 minute it works but it kind of defeats the purpose of this trigger action.

Other things attempted are triggering a group that sends multiple ON commands to C8. This sort of works but the light only comes on after the last ON, so like the delay, defeats the purpose.

Just so we are on the same page, there are no restrictions to this action, time of day, night, etc.

I have tried simulating the environment by flooding my house with several on off commands but the system works fine.

The conduit in use is the 1132u, which is a little old because it sat around until Indigo supported it. I also use the device that bridges both legs of the house, the one that goes on the 220v dryer outlet, the name slips my mind.

Any thoughts as to what I am missing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hunter

Posted on
Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:30 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Command not happening

Hi Hunter,

I suspect there is a signal collision of the D4 OFF the alarm is sending with the C8 ON Indigo is sending. I believe the PowerLinc is supposed to handle this and resend the command if there is a collision. The problem could also be in the receiving module -- maybe it gets confused by the collision and subsequent resend.

protean wrote:
Other things attempted are triggering a group that sends multiple ON commands to C8. This sort of works but the light only comes on after the last ON, so like the delay, defeats the purpose.

Try this approach again, but first uncheck the "Group addresses on transmission" checkbox in the preferences dialog (Interface tab). Indigo is probably batching up all the addresses together and really sending "C8 C8 C8 C8 .. On." By unchecking this preference Indigo will send "C8 On C8 On C8 On..." This will cause a negligible performance hit when sending groups of commands together that have like function types, but you gain a bit of reliability by turning it off.

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:52 pm
protean offline

Re: Command not happening

Matt,

Sorry it has taken so long. Amazing how work can get in the way of the really important things.

Anyway, I unchecked the pref you mention and set my group to send two ON commands. It works better, still not great as it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. At least I achieved what I wanted just not as precise as I imagined it would be. Again, I attribute it the the USB module, not your software. It is still odd though because sometimes modules go on at the same command that are not supposed to. This never happens in the in normal operation (triggering by time or by hand).

Thanks,
Hunter

Page 1 of 1